Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant get Imito MX2 to recognise USB Hard Drive

Greetings Folks!

I've just received my new Imito MX2 Android TV dongle today, I've managed to get most things working, I'm connecting to the internet via my mobile phones Wifi hotspot which is working well, however I cant seem to get the Imito MX2 to recognise my external USB hard drive. The USB hard drive I use is a 160GB SATA drive mounted into a USB caddy, its got its own power supply. When I connect it to the Imito MX2 I just dont get anything in the USB connections to show the drive is there. The USB ports work with the USB dongle for my wireless keyboard / touchpad, and my USB flashdrive is recognised. What do I need to do to get my external USB hard drive to work with the Imito MX2? Also is there anywhere online where I can find a better user manual for the Imito MX2 because the A4 sheet of instructions supplied is woefully inadequate! I dont know if I need to install new firmware or how I begin to do that, I've never 'booted' anything before and I wouldnt know where to begin.

many thanks

Johnny

The drive is there but the way the ROM is set up it doesn't mount the drive where you can get to it. The drive can be found in the /mnt/usb_storage directory.

The only thing is you'll need to be rooted to get to it but if your rooted then you may as well download Paragon from the play store and mount the drive to a directory on the sdcard.

Comment

Originally posted by reddragon72 View Post
      The drive is there but the way the ROM is set up it doesn't mount the drive where you can get to it. The drive can be found in the /mnt/usb_storage directory.

The only thing is you'll need to be rooted to get to it but if your rooted then you may as well download Paragon from the play store and mount the drive to a directory on the sdcard.
      Thanks reddragon72, so I will need to 'root' the Imito MX2 first? I've never 'rooted' anything before, I'm a bit nervous about 'bricking' it by making some rookie mistake... I dont know what 'Paragon' is or does, why would I need to mount my external USB hard drive to a directory on the SD card?

I'm a bit miffed with this Android mini-computer thing now I've got it, the wifi reception is atrocious, even when my router is right next to the Imito MX2 the wifi reception is like 1 bar which is constantly cutting out, a lot of Android games are seemingly useless as the lack of touchscreen input means I cant pinch / zoom in or out on Angry Birds for example. I installed GTAIII and that wont work at all, I managed to install Sandstorm and that runs to a certain extent but the graphics are messed up as if the processor is struggling so it misses out textures on things.

I dont know maybe I was expecting too much but it seems to have problems even doing the basic things. If I cant improve things then its going to be sold on **** by the end of next week.

Comment

Originally posted by jonleeds View Post
        Thanks reddragon72, so I will need to 'root' the Imito MX2 first? I've never 'rooted' anything before, I'm a bit nervous about 'bricking' it by making some rookie mistake... I dont know what 'Paragon' is or does, why would I need to mount my external USB hard drive to a directory on the SD card?
        Flash Finless 1.7 and your good to go. The directions are very straight forward and make it super simple to do just don't get frustrated. As for paragon it is a tool to mount a USB drive to any location you choose. I choose to mount one of my USB drives to the SDCARD so when you open a file explorer like ES file explorer you can click on a directory and be right in that drive.

I'm a bit miffed with this Android mini-computer thing now I've got it, the wifi reception is atrocious, even when my router is right next to the Imito MX2 the wifi reception is like 1 bar which is constantly cutting out, a lot of Android games are seemingly useless as the lack of touchscreen input means I cant pinch / zoom in or out on Angry Birds for example. I installed GTAIII and that wont work at all, I managed to install Sandstorm and that runs to a certain extent but the graphics are messed up as if the processor is struggling so it misses out textures on things.
        Some people are not happy with these devices. One thing you have to remember is that they are VERY new and therefor have a lot of issues. As for Wifi, yes we are all seeing this to some extent. The devices are made in China on the cheap and since they are not "sold" in the US on the shelves they are not subject to consumer standards. Also these companies are developing their own solutions for things, like WIFI, because big name companies wont let them put their devices on the chips for fear of people complaining and in general blaming them for not delivering a good device.

All in all I love my device it is working great and I have no issues with any game, I'll check out the one you are mentioning. As far as pinch to zoom and other touch swip effects, yea those are not going to be there, but you can get an app for your phone that allow you to control the device VIA touch, look for Ricomajic controller app in the market or in finless 1.7 thread.

I dont know maybe I was expecting too much but it seems to have problems even doing the basic things. If I cant improve things then its going to be sold on **** by the end of next week.
        I went from having a full time always one PC attached to my TV for a media server/player. It was killing me on power and generally didn't do what I wanted as I had to use three different programs to get the job done. With this little 10 watt device I have everything and more, not to mention I can stream just about anything to it from any of our PC's and phones. So easy to share video's and such.

I even have another one that replaced my full time server. It is my FTP/web site and remote access device. These things are pretty good and pretty solid, accept for WIFI which I resolved by using a USB hub and a USB LAN dongle.

I am not trying to talk you into keeping it, I'm just giving idea's that hopefully will let you give it a chance. I love having Android and my TV and boy is it a party piece when people come over.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice reddragon72, I'll perservere with the Imito MX2 for a while. I originally bought it as I wanted to be able to watch HD movies on my plasma screen as I dont have a HD satellite, cable TV source or blue-ray player. Plus my computer doesnt have HDMI output and the VGA connection from my computer to television isnt great quality.

The Imito MX2 just doesnt seem to be meeting the promises that were made on the **** sellers page that were the reason for me buying it. But I'll tinker around with it for a while and see if things improve. I do love the idea of this device and its potential but if I'm going to have to go a long way round to do basic things with it then I might end up giving it the boot and waiting until something better comes along.

Comment

Use any of finless rom it will solve your issue and you will be able to play HD media without any issue. Also you can access your media via LAN. Use BS player to access LAN media.

Thanks for all the advice reddragon72, I'll perservere with the Imito MX2 for a while. I originally bought it as I wanted to be able to watch HD movies on my plasma screen as I dont have a HD satellite, cable TV source or blue-ray player. Plus my computer doesnt have HDMI output and the VGA connection from my computer to television isnt great quality.

The Imito MX2 just doesnt seem to be meeting the promises that were made on the **** sellers page that were the reason for me buying it. But I'll tinker around with it for a while and see if things improve. I do love the idea of this device and its potential but if I'm going to have to go a long way round to do basic things with it then I might end up giving it the boot and waiting until something better comes along.

Comment

Working...
            X