Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW - Minix X5 - Finless 1.3 custom ROM

Hey all! LONG TIME no see.

I am on a mission to update and help people with older devices. It's not all about quad core but time to refresh the FreakTab customer base too!

So with that said, here is a new ROM for you X5 owners.
    I hope you like it!

Notes:
    PAY ATTENTION PLEASE! You have some choices to make!

1) Airpin. I am not a Airpin/Airplay person but it is in this ROM.
    Props to Minix for adding it for those that want it. However for those that do not, sorry... PAIN and performance hit!
    If your NOT into Airplay, etc then removing this does help performance based on WHAT YOU NEED your X5 to do.
    HOWEVER, I give you the option to not have it pre-installed or running as a service.
    NOTE: I have NOT pulled out the APK or changed how Minix implemented the pre-install!!!!!
    Thus I am not changing any copyright agreement or distribution change. It works the same!
    BUT to use my ON/OFF capability you must follow the instructions when flashing the ROM!
    I have given you several boot.img files to choose from. What you choose will decide if Airpin gets installed or not!
    See below under flashing instructions!

2) How about a TRUE 1080 kernel? Well I give you that now too!
    YES it is the EXACT SAME kernel as provided with this minix release and all I have done is patched it to 1080 resolution!
    NOTHING ELSE... It's just a 1080 enabled kernel.

3) I also supply a set of OC kernels that can be made. It's a limited set but works none the less.
    See instructions below for flashing those.

Features in my 1.3 ROM:

1) Gameloft fix. This fixes Gameloft games from crashing to the desktop.
    Many of them do not run and crash to the desktop. This is due to a license check based on the device.
    Special thanks to Christian Troy for inventing this fix. I modded it for this ROM.

2) Build.prop edit to open up the Google Play store to APPs that normally say "not compatible".
    I am spoofing a Samsung device that will show almost any APP as compatible.
    Your device will show up in google play as NOT a Minix device! Understand this please.
    I also left the original buiild.prop in the ROM called build.orig.
    If you want to go back, just use ES or a root file explorer and rename build.prop to build.old
    Then rename build.orig to build.prop.
    Go into settings, apps, all and go into the Google Play app. Clear the cache and data.
    Reboot! You should be back to showing up as a Minis Nexo X5.

4) Libmedia has been added for passthrough.

5) Full init.d support! If you do not know what that is... ignore it. For geeks that want to use it. It is there!

6) I debloated the ROM for CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN.
    This includes removing some of the live wallpapers, china apps, etc.

7) Two boot.img and kernel.img setups. One set to support 720P boot and another for 1080P boot.
    See instructions below under flashing to use them. This flash kit is setup by default to use 720P WITH NO Airpin installed!
    If you want 1080P or 1080 with Airpin again see the instructions below.
    NOTE: The boot animation on 1080P kernel will not be full screen. This is normal!
    I don't want to make 2 large system.img files to support both resolutions.

9) All APPs in /system have been updated including Play Store and Framework.
    So on first boot and login to Google Play, Nothing should need to be updated.

10) I added a reboot APP that will allow optional reboot options like reboot to bootloader (flash mode), CWM, etc.

11) Of course this is fully rooted and Superuser. I also updated Busybox to a version I prefer.
    This is to support init.d You can however update busybox to the latest and greatest from Google Play if you wish.

12) A set of OC kernels. read the README in the OC_kernels folder!

13) Xbox controllers! Look guys I do not have one of these.
    I also could not find a xpad.ko that works with this kernel.
    To me it appears it is already there in the kernel. But if you find it is not and have a xpad.ko that works,
    Let me know and I will update the ROM.

Hey.... I don't want to beg but if you like that I work on older devices, I really could use some donations.
    So you know I use my donations to buy other FreakTab developers hardware or for me to use on hardware to build things for you all. So please, support Freaktab if you can!
    I have spent over $300 in 2013 of my own money supporting this site and other developers here, so helping me is helping you!
    Thank you!

OK thanks for your donation... Here is my latest X5 ROM.
    Enjoy!

ROM -> Minix Neo X5 Finless 1.3 ROM including OC and 1080 kernels (335 megs)

Again folks... Enjoy my "refresh" of your product!

Bob
    Last edited by Finless; 01-15-2014, 15:56.
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Download down

Hello Finless,thanks for all your contributation. Your rom's are incredible stable. I hope so much this last update.
    But when we try to donwload the rom from de post, it take us to an #$%^ error 404 page not found. Please fix the link.Thanks, see ya
    !

Comment

Originally posted by gastonemartinez View Post
      Hello Finless,thanks for all your contributation. Your rom's are incredible stable. I hope so much this last update.
      But when we try to donwload the rom from de post, it take us to an #$%^ error 404 page not found. Please fix the link.Thanks, see ya
      !
      Confirmed.

Bob? Please?

Comment

link fixv

there you have! it missed up a "_"

Comment

Originally posted by gastonemartinez View Post
          Thank you! I was just lookin' for it.

And Bob, THANK YOU!!!

Comment

I tried the rom for a while....a little while until it freeze even using set cpu to performance governor at 1608mhz.....i think its something of the 4.2 version . Tomorrow i will try with your custom tweak kernel. See ya! Good night from argentina

Comment

Thanks for all your help and efforts, Finless! What Minix Android version is this based upon?

And is it possible for you to enable touchscreen in this ROM? While most TV's are not touch, they are becoming more common and even those without (like me) are using DroidMote which allows touch events to be sent from a phone being used as a remote control.

Comment

It's built off the latest Minix release.

As for touch screen. That is just too generic as there are MANY touch screens and they all can work different. First you must find a ARM compiled KO (or ARM sources not liniux) module for the touch screen you have. Then you have to add a IDC file (easy part). Most touch screens out there for TV do not have a ARM kernel module or ARM sources available.

I get asked this all the time and it just not that easy.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                  It's built off the latest Minix release.

As for touch screen. That is just too generic as there are MANY touch screens and they all can work different. First you must find a ARM compiled KO (or ARM sources not liniux) module for the touch screen you have. Then you have to add a IDC file (easy part). Most touch screens out there for TV do not have a ARM kernel module or ARM sources available.

I get asked this all the time and it just not that easy.

Bob
                  Thanks Bob for your reply (and ROMs). I have managed to personally compile .ko files for some USB->Serial devices on my Minix X5 running your 1.2b. So maybe I can figure out how to do this for the touch using make menuconfig. I got the kernel sources from somewhere that I found in a post on this or another site. But I am a really rank ameteur at all this. I don't even know what an IDC file is yet.

BTW - is the kernel version different from the 3.0.8+ that was true under 1.2b? If so, I may have to recompile my USB->Serial .ko files for the new 1.3 ROM.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by davidw View Post
                    Thanks Bob for your reply (and ROMs). I have managed to personally compile .ko files for some USB->Serial devices on my Minix X5 running your 1.2b. So maybe I can figure out how to do this for the touch using make menuconfig. I got the kernel sources from somewhere that I found in a post on this or another site. But I am a really rank ameteur at all this. I don't even know what an IDC file is yet.

BTW - is the kernel version different from the 3.0.8+ that was true under 1.2b? If so, I may have to recompile my USB->Serial .ko files for the new 1.3 ROM.

Thanks

So you have ARM sources for this touch screen? If so your almost there. If need be I can ask one of our kernel guys to cross compile it for you. But we need the sources.

Bob

Comment

So you have ARM sources for this touch screen? If so your almost there. If need be I can ask one of our kernel guys to cross compile it for you. But we need the sources.

Bob
                      Bob, what I had was the kernel source made available by Minix that seemed to match the kernel in your 1.2b. I will have to look for where I found it online. Since it was basically a linux kernel I was able to do a make menuconfig and manage to enable USB->Serial and build the .ko files inside a chrooted Debian install running on the Minix. Those .ko files could be loaded via a script with insmod and they work (much to my amazement) for my needs (running Heyu home automation software inside the chrooted Debian).

I just presumed there was something akin to this in the kernel for touch screen stuff that had been disabled before the actual kernel was built since Minix decided such was not needed. I could be totally wrong about this and from what you say, I may well be.

What I am really after is the new triple-tap zoom anywhere feature introduced in Android 4.2. It is mentioned here. Such an ability would be very cool for TV users having a somewhat small screen (like me) or hard of seeing. When I tried the Borg ROM built on the Minix 4.2 release, it did not offer the Settings->Accessibility->Magnification gestures options that are needed. It has been said by others that this makes sense because there is no touchscreen. But as I understand it, DroidMote passes along touch events to my Minix so I would like to be able to use this option and have it work from there.

So I am not really sure that I have been asking for the "right" thing here. I just assumed that turning touchscreen abilities ON in the kernel would somehow get the Settings->Accessibility->Magnification gestures displayed and I could try it with DroidMote. I could just be out of luck here. You would know way better than I would.

Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks Bob.

I installed the default version (720p no airpin) and it works great so far.
                        The only problem I had is that the included CWM version doesn't seem to work with my usb keyboard. So I was only able to select the reboot action with the power button on the x5.

No big deal, though. I flashed the recovery.img I found somewhere, and it works. Does the included version work for you?

If you don't mind, I think I'll make CWM flashable zips of your 1.3, like I did for the 1.2b, unless someone is faster than me

Comment

I'm wondering if this ROM will work with minix x5 Mini also????

Comment

Originally posted by petrus View Post
                            Thanks Bob.

I installed the default version (720p no airpin) and it works great so far.
                            The only problem I had is that the included CWM version doesn't seem to work with my usb keyboard. So I was only able to select the reboot action with the power button on the x5.

No big deal, though. I flashed the recovery.img I found somewhere, and it works. Does the included version work for you?

If you don't mind, I think I'll make CWM flashable zips of your 1.3, like I did for the 1.2b, unless someone is faster than me
                            I did not include cwm

Feel free to make a cwm version! No problems.

Bob

Comment

Re : NEW - Minix X5 - Finless 1.3 custom ROM

I did not include cwm

Feel free to make a cwm version! No problems.

Bob
                              Oops. Ok. Maybe it was the stock recovery, or something left from my previous ROM flash. But I erased NAND before flashing. Weird.

Comment

Working...
                              X