HOLY COW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOLY COW!

Guys and Gals.... I just got a Neo X5. It was shipped direct to me from Minix and not a reseller. I think the reason is they are prowd of thier product and wanted me to have a look see and evaluate it.

Freaktab must be getting attention in the industry which is exactly what I wanted to happen... So that makes me happy Folks... I am the business owner of this site along with Neo (Ray). So I wont try to lie to you. I have a personal desire to see Freaktab be successful! It's a lot of time but also a labor of love! But as many that now know me, I do not throw BS around! I want this site to not be a bunch of mumbo jumbo and we are here to help the community!

I DO like how this went down because honestly I do not like working with resellers! I would much prefer to work with the company at hand. I have to say, the communications with Minix has been wonderful! I did not ask them for a unit, they offered! The cool part of this was... NO BS and nothing was expected of me for sending me the unit. They never asked me ONCE to promote them. I find that honorable!

Can I just say HOLY COW! This product is kick ass!

Up to now I only have ever played with the TV "sticks" thus far. The neo X5 is not a simple TV stick. It is a TV box.

This unit in my opinion BLOWS AWAY anything I have messed with so far. Hardware is all there.. No need to buy USB hubs, Bluetooth dongles, Ethernet dongles, etc!

The stock ROM is very polished already! Not some AOSP port with no qualities put in it to work as a TV player. It works and works well! Can I just say "congrats" to Minix for doing a DAMN good job on the stock ROM! The bad part is this puts me out of the ROM business
    Well... not totally as people want a rooted ROM. So at least I can do something!

I am really going to enjoy this device! In fact I am going to do a video review of it because it is... THAT good!

YES... REALLY.... it is that good and I shit you not! (USA slang for I am not trying to BS you )

Bob
    Last edited by Finless; 01-18-2013, 13:00.
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Sv: HOLY COW!

Sounds very interesting. Looking forward for your review.
    It's a bit more expensive, though.

Comment

Minix Neo X5 and mk808

Hi Bob,

Are the Minix Neo X5 and the mk808 compatible with each other at the ROM level?

BR,
      Z

Comment

hey-I'm ok with freaktab.com being your business & succeeding (& us helping u succeed) as long as we can persuade Polaroid to let me play with their newest toys too, lol!
        Last edited by elektrik; 01-18-2013, 17:20.
        https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Comment

Originally posted by jlunse View Post
          Sounds very interesting. Looking forward for your review.
          It's a bit more expensive, though.
          Consider this please...

You buy a cheap TV stick.

Then you realize you need a USB hub as you want to plug in many things. Since the USB hub is not integrated, you do not know for sure what you buy will work! Does it need USB power? If so there is another "wall wart" charger thingy. Again somewhat of a guessing game.

Then you decide ethernet is better than wifi (which it is), so you buy a ethernet dongle.

Then maybe you want to use bluetooth devices. Well some TV sticks have it and some do not, if yours does not, your out of luck! But... you may buy a BT dongle in case it works.

So all the crap you had to go through to find and buy working add-ons is wasted. AND it is not integrated so all of that may not work that well together! Look at all the posts in the TV stick sub forums about "I bought this ethernet dongle and it doesnt work" or "my USB hub does not work", etc...
          I dunno but having all that in the same unit is a plus for me and YOU KNOW it works!

Oh..... then you find the TV stick you bought is unstable because it has a shitty power supply so you need to get a better one. This comes with a 3 AMP power supply that works!

Then you find HDMI is having issues and your unsure what the problem is... So you buy a new HDMI cable just to make sure that is not the problem... My cable that came with this is quality I can tell and works.

So that CHEAP TV stick you bought is now not so cheap is it?

This is my point and why I now like this device very much!
          Look, I am not trying to "sell" this unit nor do I care. I am just telling you from my opinion, this is worth a good look as I am very impressed with the unit and I think you should consider the "total package" before just buying the cheapest thing. It all adds up in the end.

Bob
          Last edited by Finless; 01-18-2013, 15:50.
          "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
          "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
          "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
          "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
          "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
          "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
          "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
          "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
          "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

I bought this unit after my first android stick, an Imito MX1, and am very happy with it. I can't wait to see how your ROM compares to the stock firmware. There are two custom ROMs out already that appear to be pretty good-

Comment

Sv: HOLY COW!

Originally posted by Finless View Post
              So that CHEAP TV stick you bought is now not so cheap is it?

This is my point and why I now like this device very much!

Bob
              Yes indeed, it's a good point, and my UG802 + all extra hardware + some difficulties has costed me a lot.
              It also seems to be easy to root Minix Neo X5, right?

Comment

This sound good.....but if this unit can not do more then 2 channel audio who cares how fast or how many connections this thing has. I cant believe to the creation of any style of these products no one cares about 5.1 audio.

Let me know if this can do 5.1 then I'll give ya a HOLY COW!

Comment

Hands down def the best android tv device out there, plus their engineers actually know what their doing. There really is no reason to experiment with any other android stick company out there for me. Ive heard a few people complaining about the 5.1 audio out of the optical port, but its a non issue for me I just pass it all through the hdmi to my receiver and then to my surround sound. Sounds GREAT!

Comment

Originally posted by AccordXTC View Post
                    This sound good.....but if this unit can not do more then 2 channel audio who cares how fast or how many connections this thing has. I cant believe to the creation of any style of these products no one cares about 5.1 audio.

Let me know if this can do 5.1 then I'll give ya a HOLY COW!
                    <KIDDING>Ok Veruca, for $100 you want all that plus Dolby 5.1......

...I want a bean feast! </KIDDING>
                    https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Comment

HDMI 5.1 audio

Originally posted by alwaysbless View Post
                      Hands down def the best android tv device out there, plus their engineers actually know what their doing. There really is no reason to experiment with any other android stick company out there for me. Ive heard a few people complaining about the 5.1 audio out of the optical port, but its a non issue for me I just pass it all through the hdmi to my receiver and then to my surround sound. Sounds GREAT!
                      How are you doing this? I tried connecting the x5 directly to the HDMI input on my Yamaha and then outputting that to my TV. I have no problem getting 5.1 DD and DTS, DTS-MA or DD-True from my Blue ray player and also no problem getting 5.1 DD or DTS from my Seagate Freeagent Theater+ that is hooked up to my Yamaha via HDMI. Every time I hit direct input, I get a downmix 2.0 instead of 5.1 audio that is encoded in the source. My source is simply a USB hard drive. I am not playing it over the network. I tried mxplayer and bs player. Not sure if I tried the stock player yet. I already enable sound to go thru the hdmi port. Is there a pass thru option that I am missing somewhere. Also I tried this on Jelly Bean and now just rolled back to ICS and have not tried it under ICS yet.

Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Re: HOLY COW!

Yes! I was waiting for you to get this device I bought it awhile back since then I and another have created a forum to try to pull together development and other things to do. Check it out fin

Minixforums.com see if anything will help you Bob

Brett(keepinitdroid)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by aquaholik View Post
                          How are you doing this? I tried connecting the x5 directly to the HDMI input on my Yamaha and then outputting that to my TV. I have no problem getting 5.1 DD and DTS, DTS-MA or DD-True from my Blue ray player and also no problem getting 5.1 DD or DTS from my Seagate Freeagent Theater+ that is hooked up to my Yamaha via HDMI. Every time I hit direct input, I get a downmix 2.0 instead of 5.1 audio that is encoded in the source. My source is simply a USB hard drive. I am not playing it over the network. I tried mxplayer and bs player. Not sure if I tried the stock player yet. I already enable sound to go thru the hdmi port. Is there a pass thru option that I am missing somewhere. Also I tried this on Jelly Bean and now just rolled back to ICS and have not tried it under ICS yet.

Any help is appreciated.
                          Honestly its just like any other device ive ever hooked up to my receiver, it goes in my bd input then I have it set to direct and dolby pro logic ii and I have all my speakers hooked up into their inputs and it just plays, I have the audio on my tv set to external too so it doesn't pass it along to the tv but that's pretty much it. Im really not sure if it is down mixing it to stereo but I have sound out of all 5 speakers and it sounds pretty good to me. If I set my receiver to external stereo instead of direct it plays even louder..

Comment

Honestly its just like any other device ive ever hooked up to my receiver, it goes in my bd input then I have it set to direct and dolby pro logic ii and I have all my speakers hooked up into their inputs and it just plays. Im really not sure if it is down mixing it to stereo but I have sound out of all 5 speakers and it sounds pretty good to me. If I set my receiver to external stereo instead of direct it plays even louder..
                            I have no problem getting 5.1 sound out of any of my STEREO source. But they are not true 5.1. Your receiver is just simulating the surround and outputting it to all the speakers. When I hit direct, I can tell if the source input is really giving me 5.1. For example, hook a 5.1 encoded movie to my Seagate Freeagent theather and sending it out via HDMI to my Yamaha and hitting direct, it will show 5.1. Hook a 2.0 encoded movie to my Seagate and sending it to the yamaha, hitting direct will show that it is a 2.0 source. Hit the surround button, I get artificial 5.1. Heck I can get artificial 7.1 since my Yamaha is 7.1 receiver.

The built in media player in my Samsung BD Player and TV will pass thru or send out 5.1 DD. My 2011 Samsung TV will also pass thru DTS.

I have researched it and have not seen anyone getting TRUE 5.1 audio pass thru on the various Android PC on sticks. I think the equiso device might but I am not sure.

Comment

Honestly its just like any other device ive ever hooked up to my receiver, it goes in my bd input then I have it set to direct and dolby pro logic ii and I have all my speakers hooked up into their inputs and it just plays, I have the audio on my tv set to external too so it doesn't pass it along to the tv but that's pretty much it. Im really not sure if it is down mixing it to stereo but I have sound out of all 5 speakers and it sounds pretty good to me. If I set my receiver to external stereo instead of direct it plays even louder..
                              I think that is 2 channel stereo that is processed into 5 channels. I believe that if the film has a Dolby surround 2 channel track, the Dolby pro logic is giving surround sound but not at the quality it could be.

Comment

Working...
                              X