Minix Neo X5 NAND partitions and boot process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minix Neo X5 NAND partitions and boot process

What is the boot process used on the Minix Neo x5? And what are the formats/contents of each NAND (aka ROM) partition? I see these partitions defined:

Code:
      misc        /dev/block/mtdblock0 4194304   kernel    /dev/block/mtdblock1 8388608   boot        /dev/block/mtdblock2 16777216   recovery    /dev/block/mtdblock3 16777216   backup    /dev/block/mtdblock4 402653184   cache        /dev/block/mtdblock5 134217728  - /cache  126M  ext4   userdata    /dev/block/mtdblock6 4294967296 - /data  3.9G  ext4   kpanic    /dev/block/mtdblock7 4194304   system    /dev/block/mtdblock8 536870912  - /system 511M  ext4   user        /dev/block/mtdblock9 11010048000- /mnt/sdcard 10.2G
    I want to know so I can understand/manipulate the configuration. I know that people to make up new 'rom's for the systems know how to produce these '.img's, but I haven't seen it documented for those who want to get in on the act. I know how this is done on some other Linux installations, but want to know how Minix does it for their Android system.

I can see that the 'system', 'cache', 'userdata' and 'user' are normal linux filesystems that can been seen by mounting them. I assume 'boot' is some compressed bootloader code -- perhaps not the usual Android bootloader. 'kernel' is the, perhaps compressed, binary executable for the kernel that must be loaded and executed? 'recovery' seems to be uncompressed (ie you can see meaningful strings in it) -- I thought it might be a duplicate (backup) of 'boot', but its not. 'backup' seems to be uncompressed as well. No clue what 'misc' has.

I see from the RK3066 Tech Ref Manual that the chip has a boot ROM and some default operations to look for 'suitable' boot partitions on NAND and SDcard devices on power up. That code must load the kernel and some root filesystem and starts things up. I know what the /init program in Android does (reading the /init.rc and other files) and mounting other file systems etc. Another thing I'd like to know is where contents of the /sbin directory on the root file system come from.

Can anyone share a link to the source code, or a replacement build for the NAND partition images (ie ROM .img) so I can see what it does?

Read through the posts here:

Explains all of this.

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"