Help with MK808B, incompatible version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with MK808B, incompatible version?

Hello, I am new here and I am looking for some help. I don't usually post much on forums, as I can normally find what I am looking for by means of searching. But I'm in a bit of a bind, so hopefully someone can help me out.

I purchased a "clone" mk808B off of **** (actually five of them). For the most part, they work great. They run 4.2.2. Netflix and XBMC work almost flawlessly. The stock rom has support for 1080p. My problem is, Any streamed videos on chrome, as well as the youtube app, don't play videos properly. The sound plays, and bar shows buffering and play time increases, but the video stays block. All audio, no video.

All 3 finless roms lead to a non-boot situation. I have tried multiple roms online with no avail. I can not even find the stock rom. Also, CWM recovery, even the rk3066 generic, doesn't seem to work when flashed. I found a generic ROM to get the device in question to boot, without wifi and bluetooth.

I was able to make a nandroid backup from one of the working units, but can't figure out how to restore my nandroid backup to the "soft bricked" unit in question. The units have the mediatek chips. I will post relevent pictures.

Here is a link to the auction:
    http://www.****.ca/itm/261411802942?...84.m1497.l2649

Thanks in advance for any helpful information. I would rather get these things working than have to send them back to China!

This is a picture of the working software these units came with.

Here's a shot of the back side and mediatek chips

The Rockchip and NAND

Full View (Garbage heatsink removed)

Sink back in place (crooked much?)

Aaaand finally, heres a rom (single image file) I was able to find and flash that lets the unit boot up. Seems pretty smooth, but no wifi/ blutetooth.

Thanks again guys, and please let me know if I can give any more info.

-Kole

Edit: I see the pictures didn't work for some reason. Links provided.

Also, does anyone have a way to extract stock firmware from one of my virgin devices and slap it on the one I've been toying with? Keep in mind I have stock recovery.
    Last edited by kzimmer; 03-22-2014, 04:26.

You can find all the information you need in this thread:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Strangely, I have only seen people having the R-Box firmware on devices with the AP6210 wifi chip. Anything is possible... or the **** seller could have even flashed those before selling them. Are you sure they are all the same?

Comment

I got it working with that link, thanks. Now I just need to solve the black screen video problem.

Comment

Originally posted by kzimmer View Post
          I got it working with that link, thanks. Now I just need to solve the black screen video problem.
          My only suggestion is the same thing that phinc mentioned on the other thread.

It happened to me with Archos player. Rebooted, hid the status bar before opening the app, then it all worked fine. It's a strange bug. It could even be limited to that specific firmware. Literally just replied to another person asking about this, too:

I've had this happen to me in the past, a video plays fine, but then on a 2nd attempt, the audio plays but no video... For me, it had something to do with hiding the status bar. If the status bar was hidden before the video started playing, I think everything would be fine. Finless and Flumpster (see beyond xbmc thread...) have both mentioned that it is possible to remove the status bar entirely by renaming it, if you want to try that.

Then there is another thread where people had this problem with the youtube app, probably can be fixed by checking off the "disable HW overlay" option in Settings, but that setting never sticks when the device is rebooted (unless maybe you automate using the paid app called Tasker).

Comment

Which status bar are we talking about? How might I go about this for a permanent fix? Does this fix the youtube app issues and chrome streaming issues? HW overlay disable didnt work for me.

Thanks again.

Comment

It's the thing at the bottom with the volume controls, the back button, home button, and all of that. The button furthest to the right is the hide button. If you need to bring it back, click the bottom of the screen and drag upward.

If anything, I would say the renaming thing would probably be a safe bet to completely avoid the problem... http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ar-permanently

The tradeoff is that you'll lose the status bar, though.

Comment

It's a tough situation due to the fact that some clones absolute hate running on different roms, even if you flashed the correct kernel.

I would try looking in the deep, dark russian/chinese websites to see if someone has made a decent rom for the chipset.

Failing that, use Youtube for XBMC and count your loses, learning a lesson that if you do buy cheap chinese products, that you at least get a type that the vast majority of people own.
                Currently Using:
                2 x Nvidia Shield TV | MiniMX III
                Retired Devices:
                MiniMX III-II | Mk808b Pro | Mk808b Plus | Raspberry Pi 1 + 2 | UBOX R89 | MK808 | MK808b | CS008 | X1 4K (rk3288_809) | CYX_809III | Ouya | CX-919 | S82 Plus | Tronstmart R68

Comment

True enough. If I was to play around with different custom roms, like finless etc, can I just replace the kernel.img with my mine and flash away? What about misc.img, loader.bin, etc? Anything else I should know when "cross pollinating" roms and kernels?

Also, what about CWM recovery? Once a rom is running stable, is it proper to just flash recovery.img with CWM and that's it? Should misc-boot-recovery.img also be flashed to misc.img when flashing cwm recovery image? I have read some conflicting information on this.

Thanks again for the help.

Edit: Is there any fast and loose rules of what I can and can't interchange in a custom firmware? boot, kernel, misc, recovery, loader, etc.
                  Last edited by kzimmer; 03-22-2014, 23:28.

Comment

The loader can be flashed, but it can not be dumped. So do not flash one unless you have a loader file that works for sure. The loader initializes the boot process, so there is really no need to flash a new one if your device starts booting. If you only get a black screen, you may have flashed a wrong loader. The loader is also not erased when you erase nand in flash tool, so you can always flash your rom and leave the loader checkbox unticked.
                    Misc.img is just a blank file with one line of text in it that tells the device what to do on first boot. The misc.img that comes with cwm for example tells the system to boot into recovery on the first boot. It is only optional to flash.
                    Swapping boot, kernel and system between firmwares is always trial and error. You can try all combinations you like, the worst thing that can happen is that your device does not boot, but you can always reflash your stock rom.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Comment

For anyone with this device that's interested, I found a good combo to flash for this device that allows YouTube videos to work fine, as well as browser streaming videos.

Download Johnoo's backup image from this post:

Flash everything from his backup, except for system.img.

Download Snakekiller's 4.2.2 Rikomagic Snakerom from this post:

Use only the system.img from this rom, and flash this system.img at the same time with everything else from Johnoo's backup. The result? Wifi, working youtube, etc. It seems to be stable so far but I haven't had time to do too much testing yet.

Thanks to Johnoo and Snakekiller for providing the files. Hopefully this is able to help someone.

-Kole

Edit: Finless 2.0 for MX1 / MX2 also works when this method is used. Thanks Mr. Bob.
                      Last edited by kzimmer; 03-24-2014, 01:03.

Comment

Remote control from phone?

I think I have the same MK808B model as yours kzimmer.
                        YouTube 4.5 works for me. Easier to install than reflashing the ROM

But did you manage to get a remote control app working (to control the TV from your phone)? I have tried many, none works.

Comment

Originally posted by aximili View Post

But did you manage to get a remote control app working (to control the TV from your phone)? I have tried many, none works.
                          That may help YouTube but not google chrome browser video streaming. I have not tried remote control, I have a Bluetooth air mouse / keyboard that I got off ****.

Comment

Originally posted by aximili View Post

I think I have the same clone as you, I used (tablet remote 1.6) from play store until I got a wireless mouse.

Comment

Have either of you gotten xbmc to work properly without audio and video drifting out of sync?

Comment

Working...
                              X