MK808B Advice on flashing first custom Rom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MK808B Advice on flashing first custom Rom

Hi guys currently my MK808B has the original factory stock rom android 4.2.2
    I have installed XMBC XAF Custom with MX player for hardware accelerated playback.
    My intention was to wait until the full version of XMBC Gotham was released then flash a new more capable rom with less bloatware. Would it be beneficial to dip my toes in the water be brave and flash a new rom now, a lot of flashes seem to go wrong bricked devices etc.
    For a beginner which flash process and rom would be the easiest to start off with?
    I cannot see myself overclocking constructing heatsinks etc, would it still be beneficial flashing a 1080P rom. It would be nice to view 1080P content, is the MK808B capable without modding?
    Also for the flashing process do I need an SD card one is on my shopping list.

Hope you can help

Ed

Originally posted by eddieaok View Post
    Hi guys currently my MK808B has the original factory stock rom android 4.2.2
    I have installed XMBC XAF Custom with MX player for hardware accelerated playback.
    My intention was to wait until the full version of XMBC Gotham was released then flash a new more capable rom with less bloatware. Would it be beneficial to dip my toes in the water be brave and flash a new rom now, a lot of flashes seem to go wrong bricked devices etc.
    For a beginner which flash process and rom would be the easiest to start off with?
    I cannot see myself overclocking constructing heatsinks etc, would it still be beneficial flashing a 1080P rom. It would be nice to view 1080P content, is the MK808B capable without modding?
    Also for the flashing process do I need an SD card one is on my shopping list.

Hope you can help

Ed
    First of all, you need to find out what device you have, original or one of the clones.

Comment

Originally posted by mowgli View Post
      First of all, you need to find out what device you have, original or one of the clones.
      Thanks for replying I have an original

Ed

Comment

Thanks for replying I have an original

Ed
        Well, then you have plenty of options. Some of them:

For the XBMC, I would recommend Beyond XBMC 3.3

I personally use Android 4.1 (maximry from 4pda.ru)

Comment

Thanks again plenty to look at before I take the plunge, for flashing do I need an installed SD card?

Ed

Comment

Ed
            No you do not need SD card for NoW.

Comment

Thanks again plenty to look at before I take the plunge, for flashing do I need an installed SD card?

Ed
              You would need a PC with Windows XP or 7 or 8.
              Also, different ROMs have different ways (tools) to flash (I've seen three so far). Fortunately, most of the custom ROMs have a readme file with detailed instructions.

Comment

It's been noted that some of the clones don't even have heatsinks, and Shomari said they were using overclocked kernels with stock hardware (except a better power supply)... but we don't know if it was just OK for just a benchmark or if it will be steady throughout a full 3 hour film. Shomari uses 3.5a power supply for the overclocked 4.2 kernel --- but even if you aren't overclocking, the ac adapter included with the MK808/b is complete garbage and actually known to be a major cause of problems. Quote ididmytime
                Q: I keep getting freezes, my device keeps crashing.

A: The first step to take for any issues like these is to change the power supply. They are not all made equal, and some can't give the device what it requires to run stable. Any decent 2amp 5v charger should be more than enough.
                From my personal experience with the 4.2 stock rom, it seems like *something* is really slowing it down in comparison to Prahjister's ROM. Prahjister says they removed whatever bloatware might be present, and I seem to remember doing an AnTuTu benchmark comparison which proved it is in fact better. I think Finless Bob's is really highly regarded, but it has some weird things like the 720p ROM is set by default to output/upscale to 1080p (so you need a 1080p capable tv in order to switch it to 720p), it won't connect to WEP encrypted networks, and I *think* Finless placed the boot logo somewhere so that it isn't easily changed (not sure if anyone has found a way to change it or not?).

I don't think true 1080p (not 720p upscaled) is possible without an overclocked kernel... I don't know if there is a 1080p overclocked kernel for MK808B posted anywhere... I will ask on the Shomari thread and try to find out...

Comment

Thanks for the replies

I have a laptop running windows 7
                  Previous to finding out about Android TV I flashed various devices for satellite TV Receivers including CAMs this should help me out here LOL

Beuno thanks for your input one of my first improvements was to replace the supplied power supply with a better 3.5 amp one I have a previous thread on this.
                  My TV is 1080P capable so maybe Finless is an option
                  Thanks again for your thoughts much appreciated

Ed

Comment

Working...
                  X