X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MK808 Android mini TV Player - Finless ROM 1.4 Custom ROM

Hello folks!

www.Geekbuying.com sent me a MK808 Android TV to make a custom ROM for. Well mission accomplished! Just like my ROM for the ug802, this is for the MK808. This was made using the latest Jellybean ROM for the MK808. However as I state below you have a choice of kernels to try from the 2 known ROMs available. Later I will work on adding ClockWork Mod as well as other possible fixes. I understand there maybe a new ROM coming out from the manufacturer so count on updates to my ROM as new ones come available.

So what is a Finless 1.4 ROM for this device?

Features in 1.4 ROM:
    1) Fully rooted with the latest SU and SUperUser.apk
    2) Debloated of junk APPs.
    3) Cleaned up the file system so it is not fragmented! Basicly I used linux tune2fs when making the images.
    4) I added a reboot APP that will allow you to reboot the device from the Android UI. No more unplugging the unit!It will also allow you to reboot to ROM flash mode and later when I add ClockWOrk Mod, it will reboot to recovery.
    5) ADDED BONUS User APP space by default is only 1.5GB. I have increased that to 2Gig.
    6) Two kernels to choose from! The original MK808 kernel from 9/12 which is said to have better CPU control
    And the Geekbuy ROM 9/20 kernel. By default I setup the tool to use the 9/20 kernel. But if you
    want to try the 9/12 kernel simply click the little box to the far right of the kernel line in the flash tool.
    A file dialog will open and navigate to the FinlessROM folder and select the 9/12 kernel.
    Note: you DO NOT have to erase everything to flash just the kernel! Simply unselect everything in the tool
    except the kernel. Reboot to flash mode and flash just the kernel!
    Is that simple to change kernels or what?

Note: In this ROM I believe I have fixed one of the Wifi issues. That is APPs or Gplay reporting "no connection" even though Wifi shows as still connected. In fact sometime when it did this the only way I was able to fix it was to turn Wifi off and back on! After applying my patch for this, I have not been able to recreate this problem so I believe it is fixed

I was not able to fix the 65Mbps speed limit. I believe this will require a kernel update or it is possibly a limit of the 9301 wifi hardware. I cannot find spec on the 9301 chip to determine what its full capabilities are.

The screen resolution problem of 1024x720 cannot be fixed without a kernel update.

In the ROM kit there is a read me! This has full instructions for how to upgrade. So PLEASE read the read me!

Here is my Finless 1.4 MK808 ROM:

ROM -> MK808 Finless 1.4 ROM (232 megs)

Enjoy,
    Bob
    Last edited by Finless; 11-25-2012, 22:23.
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Hi mate. first of all brilliant ROMs as always (the UG802). Not a first time I am using your rom for various devices. The reason I am posting here is that I experience the same "no connection" in the play store on the UG802 as you have described here. Any chance fixing it in that ROM as well.
    In your opinion MK808 or UG802 which one to go for?

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
      Hello folks!

Note: In this ROM I believe I have fixed one of the Wifi issues. That is APPs or Gplay reporting "no connection" even though Wifi shows as still connected. In fact sometime when it did this the only way I was able to fix it was to turn Wifi off and back on! After applying my patch for this, I have not been able to recreate this problem so I believe it is fixed
      Hello Bob
      I am having the same issue with the UG802.
      Even with the wifi modded antenna.
      I have good signal but it will not connect to google account services/play app store.
      If at all possible could you please add your patch that you mention above to the
      UG802 Finless ROM 1.4 Custom ROM
      It would help a lot of us out with the UG802.

Thanks for this ROM.

Comment

Bob,

Thanks for Your effort on the MK808 firmware, yours is the bests of all custom roms for UG802 and now for MK808.
        I'm waiting for the updated version for proper resolution, but I will try this too.

Comment

Thank you Bob,

going immediately to try it.

Since there is a rk3066 kernel source available for download, can you go into some deeper customization and tuning of your roms?

On ARMTVtech http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=212 there is already discussion regarding the kernel source.

BooLE

Comment

This custom ROM arrived just in time, a day before my 808 arrived

Will try it today or tomorrow, don't know if any feedback would be of use to you,
            or if any tests are needed?

I am interested in adding a USB sound card to my machine, to get the mic in
            feature and also because my amp is ol' skool stereo hifi not having the HDMI..
            Will that be possible with this ROM? What is needed for any peripheral to work with
            this? I as because I intend to use also the USB to ethernet adapter as well as
            a USB webcam..

Thanks for the ROM!!! Hope there will be further updates!

Comment

Thanks for the ROM!. Great job!.

The wifi has a great imnprovement!

I'm trying it and when I select an screen resolution of 1920x1080_60Hz, Antutu says it's working at 1024x720 !!??.

It also recognizes the device as a Dual-core ARMv7 Processor (VFPv3), is that normal?.

Greetings from Spain!.

Comment

Originally posted by userx View Post
                Hello Bob
                I am having the same issue with the UG802.
                Even with the wifi modded antenna.
                I have good signal but it will not connect to google account services/play app store.
                If at all possible could you please add your patch that you mention above to the
                UG802 Finless ROM 1.4 Custom ROM
                It would help a lot of us out with the UG802.

Thanks for this ROM.
                Same here.... this fix can be add to the UG802 rom?

Great work Bob!
                Androidpc.es - The largest library of independent reviews about AndroidPC

Comment

Guys, the ug802 Wifi bug is different. It has a bug where if you turn on USB storage of any kind it kills Wifi and you have to power the unit off and back on to get it working again. This is totally different than what was happening on the MK808. BUT I will look into the bug on the ug802 for my next ROM release. No promises there and I hope Logcat gives me some info as to what is going on.

As for the remining MK808 bugs we know about.
                  1) Default screen resolution. This is a kernel fix that has to come from the manufacturer.
                  2) Wifi max of 65Mbps. This maybe a hardware limitation of the 9301 Wifi chip or it's again a kernel issue. I personally think it is the hardware limitation as my Yaundao N101 with the same hardware has the same problem.

Then finally video/audio sync. I am not sure what it is but I have a feeling it is the codecs and decoders wre not optimized for the kernel and system. I am no expert in this area but I will be trying some things possibly today. Again my Yuandao N101 has the same hardware and it does not have any sync issues. Possibly the codecs etc will work from that.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Funkymonk View Post
                    Thanks for the ROM!. Great job!.

The wifi has a great imnprovement!

I'm trying it and when I select an screen resolution of 1920x1080_60Hz, Antutu says it's working at 1024x720 !!??.

It also recognizes the device as a Dual-core ARMv7 Processor (VFPv3), is that normal?.

Greetings from Spain!.

Hello
                    On my TV (LG 3D 50') when i select 1080 60 hz, my TV info signal say 1080 60 hz .....
                    when i select 720 or other on the MK808, my TV recognize the good signal.
                    I think Antutu is not finalized for MK808 !

Greetings from France

Comment

Originally posted by fjojofr View Post
                      Hello
                      On my TV (LG 3D 50') when i select 1080 60 hz, my TV info signal say 1080 60 hz .....
                      when i select 720 or other on the MK808, my TV recognize the good signal.
                      I think Antutu is not finalized for MK808 !

Greetings from France
                      Hi, this is something different. What you see is output resolution via HDMI, but MK808 with JellyBean working resolution is 1024x720. So the picture is completely stretched on 16:9 TVs.

Greetz!

Comment

Guys, this is a kernel bug about resolution. When they made the kernel they put in the default resolution of 1024x720. It should have been 1280x720 at a minimum! Measy players all set default at 1920x1080 but 1280x720 is a good balance and makes Android operate faster as it does not have to DRAW a giant 1920x1080 screen for games and OS work!

Now even though the output through HDMI is 1920x1080, the fact that Android is set to 1024x720 is causing a screen deformation (strecth). This is suppose to be fixed by the manufacturer in an upcoming ROM release very soon. I cannot do anything about it without kernel sources and even then I am not a kernel compiler!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                          Guys, this is a kernel bug about resolution. When they made the kernel they put in the default resolution of 1024x720. It should have been 1280x720 at a minimum! Measy players all set default at 1920x1080 but 1280x720 is a good balance and makes Android operate faster as it does not have to DRAW a giant 1920x1080 screen!

Now even though the output through HDMI is 1920x1080, the fact that Android is set to 1024x720 is causing a screen deformation (strecth). This is suppose to be fixed by the manufacturer in an upcoming ROM release very soon. I cannot do anything about it without kernel sources and even then I am not a kernel compiler!

Bob
                          I've notified you about kernel source that is already available, I've been trying to find a way how they screwed that, but I'm still without luck.

Comment

That is not the MK808 kernel source just a generic kernel as I recall?

Trust me, making a kernel for specific hardware requires knowledge and drivers that wont be in a generic kernel source! The team here on freaktab has tried trust me. Hell we can barely get a working kernel going let alone all the drivers. Understand Android is not like linux anymore. The kernel is not generic and in fact the source tree contains many hardware specific things normal linux kernels do not have.

FYI the default resolution should be set in the source file default.txt

Bob

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the rom, I am waiting an android tv. And I hope some improvements come already built, but the same seller has sent me straight to you.
                              I am also prepared in the worst case.
                              Regards from Pucela, Spain

Comment

Working...
                              X