Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange problem with hdmi output on mk808

so the oddest thing just happened to my mk808

It won't output to hdmi on any of my displays... It is still working using an hdmi>dvi adapter on a single display however but the other display that it used to work with the dvi adapter on only displays a blank screen now.

Prior to today it worked at 1280x720@60hz via hdmi>dvi on my 23" just fine, now it won't work on that at all, and it worked at both 1280x720 and 1920x1080 hdmi>hdmi on my tv just fine, now it won't work on either of the hdmi inputs at all... but it will work on the TV using an hdmi>dvi adapter at 480p/720p/1080p just fine.

I have tried rebooting the device numerous times, I have tried a factory reset (this device is only a few days old and I have not yet flashed it or rooted it or anything), I have tried setting different graphics modes on the working hdmi>dvi connection on the TV and then swapping it to hdmi or my 23" and nothing I have tried has helped.

The things that happened directly prior to and after the malfunction are as follows:

I unplugged the power while a game was loaded on the TV.
    I moved it to my desk, the 23" monitor was already on prior to plugging in the hdmi to the hdmi>dvi (i usually cold plug, I don't know why I did this).
    The hdmi plug sparked when it touched the dvi converter - I really hope this did not damage anything...
    Then I turned on the mk808 and was greeted by a blank screen.

After that I tried rebooting it, coldplugging it, then I tried to reset it with a paperclip - oddly enough that did get it to display an output but only on the right half of the screen in what looked like a 4:3 squished resolution, the left side of the screen had some garbled artifacts and horizontal lines... When I boot it in download mode (like you would do to flash a firmware) it displays the same way, 4:3 squished on the right side, garbled lines and artifacts on the left.

If it ended there I would think the hdmi output on the device was fried, but it works perfectly on the TV using the hdmi>dvi adapter at all display modes so I am wondering what else it could be?

Anyone have any ideas?

So I went ahead and flashed it to the finless 1.5a rom despite the problems and not having a working monitor for it at my desk. All went well and the rom works great...

But I still can't output hdmi>dvi on my 23" and none of the hdmi ports on the tv work either, only the hdmi>dvi on the tv. This is very strange indeed. I have a new mini-hdmi to hdmi adapter on order and I can test that with existing hdmi and hdmi>dvi cables I already own and know to be in good condition.

I am really hoping this problem is limited to the mini hdmi>hdmi cable it came with otherwise I'm not sure what to do short of sending it back to china for repair/replacement.

Comment

So I've tried a few more things.

I did another factory reset, unplugged from the DVI adapter and plugged into the HDMI on first boot - no display.

I played audio on the device, plugged it into hdmi, no sound output.

I flashed it back to factory firmware, pluged into hdmi for first boot - no display.

I plugged in the OTG and Power ports both at the same time - this gets it to actually display all the way to the launcher, but only 4:3 squished resolution with artifacts on the left side of the screen - and as soon as I click on any application, the display goes blank.

It still works on a single display using the hdmi>dvi adapter but it won't work on any other display with hdmi, nor will it work on any other display that I own using the hdmi>dvi adapter.

I sent a message to the seller, hoping they will honor their return and replacement policy, given the tests I've ran I don't think a new mini hdmi > hdmi adapter will help anything.

Comment

HDMI adapter arrived today, same problem.

Seller also suggested a beta firmware release of the factory firmware that he linked me to, that didn't help either. Obviously the device has prematurely failed either due to shoddy esd protection on the hdmi output, or perhaps due to overheating or shoddy soldering work - it was used for several hours with intensive graphics prior to the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Conti View Post
          So I've tried a few more things.

I did another factory reset, unplugged from the DVI adapter and plugged into the HDMI on first boot - no display.

I played audio on the device, plugged it into hdmi, no sound output.

I flashed it back to factory firmware, pluged into hdmi for first boot - no display.

I plugged in the OTG and Power ports both at the same time - this gets it to actually display all the way to the launcher, but only 4:3 squished resolution with artifacts on the left side of the screen - and as soon as I click on any application, the display goes blank.

It still works on a single display using the hdmi>dvi adapter but it won't work on any other display with hdmi, nor will it work on any other display that I own using the hdmi>dvi adapter.

I sent a message to the seller, hoping they will honor their return and replacement policy, given the tests I've ran I don't think a new mini hdmi > hdmi adapter will help anything.
          Ohh wow. After days or searching for a solution plugging in otg Power to Wall outlet instead of TV usb solved my problem, cant believe it.....

Comment

Working...
          X