Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MK808 Wifi Antenna fix! VIDEO to help you do it!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MK808 Wifi Antenna fix! VIDEO to help you do it!

Hi all....
    So this was not my idea as I read it here in posts from other users. So props to them for coming up with this "quick fix".

My MK808 was fine when it was new. But recently it started having SERIOUS wifi issues!
    It would either not see my router, when it did it had a hard time getting an IP address or many times would fail to authenticate WPA2. Then when I would get lucky enough to connect to the router. The data rate would be so bad Google Play would not even load.

So I decided to try this quick mod as I did not have the parts or time to make new antennas. The what I call "quick fix" is to dissconnect the shield ground of the antenna wires to the circuit board. HOLY COW! It worked like a charm! My wifi now works better than ANY of the other TV sticks I have!

What is happening is the manufacturer is shorting the sheild ground to the internal antenna wire when they solder the wire to the board. The heat from soldering the ground shield is melting the internal insulation and shorting the wire.

So I decided to make a little video to explain what this is all about.

Enjoy!

VIDEO -> MK808 "Quick Fix" Wifi Antenna Mod (50 megs)

Bob
    Last edited by Finless; 12-16-2012, 18:21.
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Originally posted by Finless View Post
    Hi all....
    So this was not my idea as I read it here in posts from other users. So props to them for coming up with this "quick fix".

My MK808 was fine when it was new. But recently it started having SERIOUS wifi issues!
    It would either not see my router, when it did it had a hard time getting an IP address or many times would fail to authenticate WPA2. Then when I would get lucky enough to connect to the router. The data rate would be so bad Google Play would not even load.

So I decided to try this quick mod as I did not have the parts or time to make new antennas. The what I call "quick fix" is to dissconnect the shield ground of the antenna wires to the circuit board. HOLY COW! It worked like a charm! My wifi now works better than ANY of the other TV sticks I have!

What is happening is the manufacturer is shorting the sheild ground to the internal antenna wire when they solder the wire to the board. The heat from soldering the ground shield is melting the internal insulation and shorting the wire.

So I decided to make a little video to explain what this is all about.

Enjoy!

VIDEO -> MK808 "Quick Fix" Wifi Antenna Mod (50 megs)

Bob

Bob

You are the man. Such a big help to the community here. Any idea of when you are going to release a new Rom for the mk808. Im sure its going to be amazing.

Thanks Again

Comment

We are working on it hard! Should be soon.

Right now some people in Russia are testing my ug802 system with 2dark's new MK808 kernel. He needs direct feedback for the kernel in native language

Bob

Comment

thats what peaple do since weeks if they have wifi probs look here http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechfo...php?f=18&t=515 ... there are some different solutions. i for myself soldered an old antenna from a router. need to change the second too, but its still on the way.

PS: would like to test the new kernel too and looking if its better than my 1.5a +1.7 + Kisz mix ^^

Comment

hello bob,

practically have redone the welds and isolated the antenna cable?

Comment

Originally posted by Maxtone View Post
            hello bob,

practically have redone the welds and isolated the antenna cable?
            he didn't redo anything, he simply unsoldered one point and then used some fingernail polish to insulate the wire from the rest of the board.

probably would take you longer to pry the case open then the actual work.

Comment

Bob, take a look at the antenna pcb, so not the devices pcb. It is normal that your meter 'beeps' when you measure if it makes a shortcut or not since an HF antenna is not something you can measure with a standard multi meter! If you look at the antenna board you will see that the 'gnd' is electrically connected to the 'ant'

Now I am not saying that there is no issue at the location where the coax is soldered to the devices pcb!

The best mod you can do are the ones that are posted on armtechs forum (including mine) and use a piece of wire or remote antenna (wire wins due to price). Piece of cake and you will be amazed by the amount and strenght of wifi you will see.
              I get a 65mbps speed link, .... not only link but very good data speeds. Link speeds are not the only thing that counts, the device will make a link at that speed but due to interference it will throw all kinds of noise which will result in a bad througput etc when the signal is not clear.
              I measured 3.5MB/s data speed yesterday during the transfer of a 1GB file while the router was 1 floor down.

Comment

Molex 47950-0011 Antenna?

It would be nice if someone could pick up a Molex 47950-0011 antenna, test it and give us a feedback. The specs looks good

Comment

AW: NEW- MK808 Wifi Antenna fix! VIDEO to help you do it!

with what app or tool you measured the dataspeed?

oh an i soldered my 2nd antenna... ugly but working

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by sn0w View Post
                    with what app or tool you measured the dataspeed?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2
                    1GB data and a simple tool that is called a watch :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121128_212301 (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	429435

Comment

@Bob: Easy and simple solution, but how is the range now??

I did the two external antenna mod. Works great! Made a thread with pics here: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...fi-My-solution

@Snow: Try an app called "netspeed.net". It will measure your speed and ping.

Comment

Guys remember this is showing a simple quick fix. As I say in the video the correct way is to fix it is with new wire or add better antennas. This was just a quicky.

Yes I know the antenna is a short normally. I did not want to get to technical. When I removed the wire from the patch antenna I found the wire shorted internally. So this is why I think removing the ground will fix some people.

Later I plan to add real wifi antennas and I will make a project video for you all.

Bob

Comment

Great!

Thx Finless. Everytime I tried to watch a video on the Youtube App I had to wait for about a minute just to begin it because of a buffering issue. Now that I have cut the GND from the antennas it just takes 10 secs. to buffer so I'm happy now because I was diggin in all Internet to find a solution

I'd like instant play but I think it's ok.

MK808 + Finless 1.7 for UG802 with KIZS kernel.

P.D.: The last youtube app update doesn't show the fullscreen button on videos in my MK808. Had to uninstall it and use the stock one. Someone else with this bug?
                          Last edited by cyrax04; 12-11-2012, 20:45.

Comment

I got excited when I saw the simplicity of the fix so I decided to try it on my UG007. I noticed no real improvement. Not content, I actually trimmed the end of the antenna wire and re-soldered the connections (huge PITA considering the pads are about about 1mm apart). I noticed no improvement and became frustrated so I started to test each change and here is what I found.

Antenna removed I get no connection.

Stock antenna I noticed no difference whether the ground was connected or not.
                            I replaced the antenna with a 12 inch piece of wire soldered only to the positive pad and achieved the same results as the stock antenna though my signal was stronger.

In my case it matters not what I use for an antenna. I get a max of 18000bps receiving and a signal of -59 (best case) with regular connection drops. If I didn't have the constant drops, I'd be OK with the speed.

I'm not sure how to proceed other than finding a way to get a USB wifi device functioning.
                            Last edited by bdub951; 12-13-2012, 14:02.

Comment

Originally posted by bdub951 View Post
                              Stock antenna I noticed no difference whether the ground was connected or not.
                              I replaced the antenna with a 12 inch piece of wire soldered only to the positive pad and achieved the same results as the stock antenna though my signal was stronger.

In my case it matters not what I use for an antenna. I get a max of 18000bps receiving and a signal or -59 (best case) with regular connection drops. If I didn't have the constant drops, I'd be OK with the speed.

I'm not sure how to proceed other than finding a way to get a USB wifi device functioning.

We are talking about 2.4GHz here. Try this calculator to give you the correct size of the wire. http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennaevcalc.html
                              So 2.4GHz = 2400MHz and take the 1/2 wave or 1/4 wave size. What you have created is an antenna that will resonate at much lower freq., prob like 250 to 300MHz.
                              The one I and most other use is about 2 inches long. If you take a look at the picture of mine I just used my soldering iron to make a small hole so I can feed the antenna thru that.
                              Also don't stick the wire like close to the device but like in a 90 degree angle. You will see a very steady speed transfer and alot better constant reception.

Comment

Working...
                              X