UG802 Finless ROM 1.6 "custom" JellyBean - Made from MK802-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by userx View Post
    Read the instructions carefully (the read me first file)... try a fresh reflash.
    ERASE NAND to do a full wipe of old system.
    And remove sd card before flashing.

This is a stable rom.
    It does work and it works well.
    Best Rom by far... I've tried them all.
    Could not agree more. Have tried them all and made exactly according to the instructions. Everything flows perfectly.

Comment

I having a error with flash mode, my ROM is 1.4a of 2dark4u:

Click image for larger version

Name:	flashmode.png
Views:	1
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	429274

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by cloud View Post
        I having a error with flash mode, my ROM is 1.4a of 2dark4u:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]985[/ATTACH]

Thanks!
        your device is connected as MASS STORAGE not as flash mode. plese read the thread it is allready posted. the solution.

Comment

Originally posted by tatubias View Post
          your device is connected as MASS STORAGE not as flash mode. plese read the thread it is allready posted. the solution.
          Thanks!

I read entire thread... Step by step, where is this?

Comment

Great ROM! Thanks Bob!

Comment

When I switch to flash with RKBathTool, the device power off the screen (but it is on) and the windows dont recognize the device any more.

Comment

excellent excellent ROM. it addressed most of the issues i was experiencing before.

-video/audio sync - OK!
                -full screen youtube and other apps - OK!

some new issues i've encountered:

-some apps are appearing as not compatible with the device.
                -occasional screen flickers

Comment

Originally posted by tatubias View Post
                  No. I have the same problem.
                  The device is recognized as drive (and shown in explorer), flash tool shows mass storage found.
                  That's how I understood the requirements to press
                  "Reboot to Flash mode".

After doing the error message saying no drive is shown.

So you can't switch to flash mode even if you have a usb drive rockusb shown because flash tool says "no drive!".

I also have mk808 and the same problem activating flash mode.
                  But with mk808 could activate flash mode via flash mode button provided via the hole next to power led.

That's not possible here :-(

So I don't know how to successfully activate flash mode (switching mass storage / mtp, dis/connect to pc doesn't help).

The only thing is that the ug802 shows a symbol of nand flash with no valid filesystem when activating mass storage.

Don't want to try the suggested reformat at this point.

Bob, any hint to enable flash mode?
                  Could perhaps a reboot app switch to it?

Best thanks for your effort so far - quite exciting and effective optimizations!

Comment

Originally posted by peterhermann View Post
                    No. I have the same problem.
                    The device is recognized as drive (and shown in explorer), flash tool shows mass storage found.
                    That's how I understood the requirements to press
                    "Reboot to Flash mode".

After doing the error message saying no drive is shown.

So you can't switch to flash mode even if you have a usb drive rockusb shown because flash tool says "no drive!".

I also have mk808 and the same problem activating flash mode.
                    But with mk808 could activate flash mode via flash mode button provided via the hole next to power led.

That's not possible here :-(

So I don't know how to successfully activate flash mode (switching mass storage / mtp, dis/connect to pc doesn't help).

The only thing is that the ug802 shows a symbol of nand flash with no valid filesystem when activating mass storage.

Don't want to try the suggested reformat at this point.

Bob, any hint to enable flash mode?
                    Could perhaps a reboot app switch to it?

Best thanks for your effort so far - quite exciting and effective optimizations!

The method below may break your UG802's case and or destroy your device. Use at your own risk. We are not responsible if you hurt yourself or your device.
                    This method is a work in progress. We are hoping the manufacturer will provide us with a better option
                    It is possible to recover from a boot loop by opening your UG802 and shorting 2 pads located near the NAND chip.
                    If rooted make sure that you uninstall the UG802 adb drivers.
                    Make sure that your UG802 is unplugged.

1)Download Rockchip Batch Tools v1.5 and extract. Also download and extract the firmware you wish to put on your device.

2) Open your UG802 with a case opening tool or guitar pick. Be careful not to break your clips.

3) Locate your NAND chip and the 2 pads next to it. See pic below.

4)Short the pads while plugging the UG802 into your computer. Windows will detect a new device.

5) Widows will search for drivers and probably won't find any. You may have to open control panel --> device manager, right click on unknown device, and choose update driver. Install the windows drivers located in the Rockchip Batch Tool folder. If successful you will see a new device listed as RK30sdk.

6)Start Rockchip Batch Tool v1.5 . Select your firmwares files

7)Click on flash rom

8) wait thats all

Comment

Update.img is not going to happen

Update.img is simply not going to happen and here is why. It's a catch 22.

So yesterday I was able to make a update.img that did not fail to flash. I had to remove more system APPS (Gmail, flash, live wallpapers, etc) to make the MK802-3 JellyBean system fit in the stock ug802's system partition size of 335megs.

BANG found first problem. Update.img does NOT write the new JB kernel into NAND! That is if kernel is not in boot.img. So I took the stock MK802-3 boot.img which has the kernel in it and used that instead of my modified one that has no kernel. OK that problem fixed.....

I thought cool... I got it. Should work.

NOT! Here is why.
                      When any Android OS boots the first time, /data /cache/ etc are all made at that time. Important things in /data like dalvick cache, etc are created! And these files all relate to the existing kernel and system files.

So the update.img I made flashed OK with no errors. BUT IT HANGS on the bootanimation.
                      WHY? Because update.img does NOT format /data and /cache! We just left a bunch of old ICS based data files there and now JellyBean is booting and seeing those files and they are not correct for JellyBean so.... It hangs!

Update.img is really for updating system files for a current ROM. Think of it like patching. IT IS NOT made for flashing full ROMs PERIOD! Here is what it will not do:
                      1) Will not write a new kernel.img thus kernel must be in boot.img! NO ONE TO DATE as figured out how to make a modified boot.img that contains the kernel! There is a SHA1 hash in he ANDROID header that none of us have figured out yet.. RK Rommers to date have alwasy had to remove kernel from boot.img and make kernel a.img by itself. Then we can modify boot.img and use RKCRC. That works. So for a CUSTOM ROM where boot.img needs to be modified, kernel must be separate! BACK to the update.img problem. IT WONT write a new kernel.img
                      2) Will not format /data and /cache as the idea is to not erase users data for an update. I got past #1 but this one is a problem. I know what your thinking... "Do a data factory reset". Yea sure... But on reboot it wont go into recovery and also install update.img! It will reboot back to android and your back with the ICS files again in /data.

Now I have tried to modify update.img recovery-script and update-script. Nothing I change in there seems to work! So I think these scripts are ONLY used by the RKBtachtool flash tool... e.g. one is used if you use the recovery button in the tool and one is used when you click the update button in the flash tool. For sure the recovery system does nothing with these scripts.

So in the end an update.img going from "stock" ICS to JB without using a flash tool, is not going to happen. At least I cant figure out how to make it work.

Bob
                      "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                      "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                      "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                      "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                      "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                      "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                      "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                      "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                      "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Thanx for the new ROM Finless, working on my in4dealz UG802 like a charm. Interesting, these ROMs comes from the same source? The CPU clock is locked to maximum 1008 Mhz if You use ondemand scaling, and goes up to stable 1,2 Ghz if you choose "performace" in setCPU. Why not "ondemanding" to 1,2 Ghz? Not going above this (MK808 maxing 1416 Mhz), BUT UG802 reporting the clock changes perfectly for another apps too.

WiFi connecting @ 150 MBit/s, (40 Mhz?) and works really far from my router, it's brilliant.

Some apps are reporting not compatible in Play Store, that is the only drawback, what I found.

Thanx again.

Comment

NAND Error!

ok - followed instructions as usual and seems to have gone duff....

now getting an error MSC cant erase NAND - and on the device it say SD empty - do you want to format..

Help anyone please!!

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by ra111 View Post
                            ok - followed instructions as usual and seems to have gone duff....

now getting an error MSC cant erase NAND - and on the device it say SD empty - do you want to format..

Help anyone please!!

thank you
                            First off the SD card needs to be out of the device when flashing.
                            See if that will allow you to start over. This is for PC way right?

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                              2) Will not format /data and /cache as the idea is to not erase users data for an update. I got past #1 but this one is a problem. I know what your thinking... "Do a data factory reset". Yea sure... But on reboot it wont go into recovery and also install update.img! It will reboot back to android and your back with the ICS files again in /data.
                              Hmm, what about boot into recovery, wipe /data and /cache @ recovery [im not sure if this option exist in the ug802 recovery, I just know it from my galaxy s2] and then install the shrinked update.zip/.img from sd card?

Comment

Originally posted by userx View Post
                                First off the SD card needs to be out of the device when flashing.
                                See if that will allow you to start over. This is for PC way right?
                                the SD card is out already; yes indeed, its the PC Hard method process.

will try it all again in a moment (lost TV to the wife for now...)

Comment

Working...
                                X