Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ROM] Finless 1.7a for the UG008 (CWM flashable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ROM] Finless 1.7a for the UG008 (CWM flashable)

This is a hybrid of Bob's Finless 1.7a rom for the iMito MX1/2 and the stock UG008 kernel. I have packaged it in a CWM flashable .zip using the template and instructions provided by Leolas.

Finless 1.7a installed and ran fine on my UG008 with the included kernel but had some issues with wifi, built-in ethernet, and the analog AV out. Replacing the kernel with the kernel from the original UG008 rom fixed the issues. This combination has proved to be very stable for me and I have only found 2 minor bugs. The first is that the menu bar popup displays 00:00:00:00:00:00 instead of the ssid of the wifi network you're connected to. The second is that attempting to turn on the wifi hotspot feature to broadcast an ethernet connection as wifi doesn't work. It just hangs while turning on and requires a reboot to get wifi back. Other than that, everything seems to be working 100%.

Prerequisites:
    You must have CWM recovery installed on your UG008. I used the UG007 version of CWM. The installation guide and download link can be found here: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...rk3066-devices

Installation:
    Download finless17a_ug008_cwm.zip and move it to /mnt/sdcard or /mnt/external_sd.
    Reboot into CWM recovery and make a backup of your current rom if you haven't already.
    Wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache.
    Install from sd or external sd depending on where you chose to place the file.
    Enjoy.

If you like this rom, thank finless. He did all the real work. I just copied and pasted some files. If it wasn't for his time and effort making an excellent rom and Leolas' time and effort making the CWM .zip template and writing the guide to use it, this never would have happened.

Made it a sticky!

One day I will fix the 00:00:00:00 display thing. I am pretty sure I know what it is.
    Wifi hotspot I can probably fix too.

Just need the time and I am up to my neck with new ROMs for devices that need it.

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
      Made it a sticky!

One day I will fix the 00:00:00:00 display thing. I am pretty sure I know what it is.
      Wifi hotspot I can probably fix too.

Just need the time and I am up to my neck with new ROMs for devices that need it.

Bob
      Thanks Bob!

I looked at it like this: It's a rom intended for a different device using a kernel from a different rom. If it has one tiny cosmetic issue and one feature that rarely gets used not working and everything else is working perfectly then that's pretty awsome. I'd thought about trying to troubleshoot but honestly I wouldn't know where to start and wasn't bothered by it. I only mentioned it in the interest of being as accurate as possible in the description.

Comment

Thanks to Bob for the great ROM and Tony for putting the ug008 package together.

It's now running flawlessly on my ug008.

Comment

Originally posted by jfath View Post
          Thanks to Bob for the great ROM and Tony for putting the ug008 package together.

It's now running flawlessly on my ug008.
          I'm glad it's working for you! Bob makes an excellent rom doesn't he?

Comment

So, I managed to bork my sdcard partition while experimenting with the flashing utility included with the original Finless 1.7a ROM. Everything else is still working, but the sdcard won't mount. I think I can just use CWM to re-format the sdcard, but I don't know how large it should be. When I start to format sdcard in CWM, it asks for the size of sdcard and also the size of swap.

Tony - can you tell me the size of the sdcard and swap partitions on the ug008?

----------
            Edit: Looking at Bob's parameter files, it appears the sdcard partition is a variable size depending on how much is allocated for apps 'userdata'. I'm assuming that 'user' is the sdcard partition and is allocated as the remainder at the end of all other partitions.

I tried to partition sdcard using CWM and that fails.

I think(?) I might be able to recover by using the flash utility from Bob's 1.7a ROM replacing the kernel image with the one from Tony's ug008 CWM zip. Again, I'm guessing but I think if I erase and then flash, the partitions will be created properly. Going to give that a try next.

I do wonder if the ug008 kernel requires a particular layout, or if I can use whichever parameter file I want?
            -----------
            Edit2: I finally flashed back to stock, re-installed CWM then used CWM to re-install and I have my internal sdcard back
            -----------

Thanks very much.

Jerry
            Last edited by jfath; 05-12-2013, 00:30.

Comment

Need asistance

Hey guys thanks for your work, I've got the EU Plug UG008B from geekbuying, I believe is the same TV Box you refering in this thread (hope so), so I made it so far to install de CWM I have on my SD Card the file "dumped_recovery.img" so I guess is done.

Now, my problem start in the rebooting to CWM, since I don't know how, and the GUI or apps on my TV Box do not have any option to do so, may I ask you for your help on how to boot to CWM so I can install de Finless ROM 1.7a please.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

If you have rooted the ug008, you can open a terminal window and type:
                su
                reboot recovery

Another method (again requiring root) is to install one of the 'reboot' applications from the market and simply choose 'reboot recovery'

Comment

1080p mode supported?

Does this ROM work in real 1080p mode? I'm afraid this depends on the kernel and the stock kernel is 720p only.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyz2897 View Post
                    This is a hybrid of Bob's Finless 1.7a rom for the iMito MX1/2 and the stock UG008 kernel.
                    Tony,

Have you tested with the Finless ROM 2.0?
                    Do you have plans to release it?

Thanks!

Comment

I'd love to see this. Also, the bootup animation is nice, but a tad too much. What are the chances of finless telling us how to change this?

If someone could link to tutorials, I would like to:
                      Update to the 2.0 ROM
                      Make a (IMO)"classy" boot animation/screen
                      Tinker with the kernel

Comment

Animation

Originally posted by Aristofon View Post
                        Make a (IMO)"classy" boot animation/screen
                        You can change the startup animation with ROM Toolbox Lite.

Open ROM Toolbox, swite to the right, at Interface, Boot Animations.

With PRO version you can preview the animation, in LITE you choose and restart to check.

If you can´t find, just search rom toolbox animation on youtube.

Comment

This is Great Thanks..

Bob , Leolas , tonyz2897

Comment

Dumb Question

Does anyone have a good guide on rooting the UG008? Or does flashing this rom/kernal make it rooted? I'm new to the android, and my previous Rikomagic was already rooted when I got it.

Comment

Does flashing this rom via cwm create the 2gb partition for app space like if flashed using rom flash tool?

Comment

Working...
                              X