Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to boot CX919 in "Mask ROM mode" ?

Hi all,

I have installed Linux on my RK3188 TV Stick.
    At some point I needed to unplug the PSU, so I have stopped the system with a "shutdown now" command. It has never wanted to reboot after that.

If I am attaching the device on my WinXP PC USB, I can see the "rockchip" thing appear in the devices manager. Means the driver was correctly installed if I'm not wrong. There is a sall reset button on the side. If I press this button before I plug it in, then the same devices appears in Win XP Device manager. But it is not detected by the RK Flash Tool.

I must say that when I have installed Linux for the first time, this "reset" button was not working as expected either. When pressed, it was rebooting in an unknown mode, but no flash mode (no hdmi output, and not detected as in flash mode). I suspect this button is for "recovery" mode, but I can't prove it In order to boot in flash mode, I had to start Android and execute a "reboot bootloader" command.

Now, I don't have Android installed and starting anymore, and I am not able to enter flash mode. I have read here and there a few tips about reviving bricked devices by shorting 2 pins on the Nand to enter Mask ROM Mode:

But the CX919 inside doesn't look enough like MK808. Here is a pic of the opened stick:

I have scratched the sticker on the Nand and got this (damn, a permanent marker stain just in the middle):

I got a look into the Micron web site and found some doc about similar chips:

I have tried booting while shorting pins 8-9 then pins 7-8, but without success. When I do so, the Rockchip devices doesn't show up in the WinXP device manager, no "bong", and the flash tool doesn't detect the device. As soon as I "unshort" the pins, then the devices shows up in the device manager, but isn't recognized by the flash tool...

Any suggestions?

Regards
    dotvav
    Last edited by dotvav; 01-14-2014, 09:52. Reason: image links
    Blog [FR]

Do you think it might be permanently bricked, even if it is showing up in the WinXP devices manager?
    Wouldn't there be a way to "talk" with to get some diagnosis information?
    Blog [FR]

Comment

I'm gonna try this:

(taken from page 12 here: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...e-MK808/page12 )
      Blog [FR]

Comment

Try this http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...l=1#post131576. If pin 7-8 isnt working try 8-9. Good Luck
        cx-919ii

Comment

Thank you Max.
          No luck with this. But I found out people are trying so many different things, with or without success...
          This one looks more like my device: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...9-III-TV-Stick

I'll try that tonight when I'm at home. If not working, I think next step will be trying to short the pins 2 by 2 until I get something. But I'm a little afraid to burn something if I happen to short VCC with anything else...
          Blog [FR]

Comment

Only on a failed device does MASK ROM mode not work.

Also some people may not realize it but the micro USB port can be easily broken off the board. That is the solder pins lift off the board and the USB port stops working. You need an eye loop and wiggle the connector to see if the solder pins are lifted.

Bob
            "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
            "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
            "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
            "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
            "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
            "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
            "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
            "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
            "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
              Only on a failed device does MASK ROM mode not work.

Also some people may not realize it but the micro USB port can be easily broken off the board. That is the solder pins lift off the board and the USB port stops working. You need an eye loop and wiggle the connector to see if the solder pins are lifted.

Bob
              Thanks Bob.

I think the USB is working since I can see the rockchip device in the Windows device manager when I am not shorting any pin...

What I have not tried yet but will do tonight:
              - setting the SUPPORTUSB11 config property to 1: my PC is very old
              - ensure the USB ports I use is not on a concentrator: it is on the back of my PC but I need to open it to be sure
              Blog [FR]

Comment

FYI, I just bricked my CX-919 going back to jelly bean.

If you run the flash tool and erase NAND with the JB loader 1.24 and JB parameter file it reboots after NAND erase and you can never get it back into flash mode again!

So I took it apart and I shorted pin 7&8 and while shorting I plugged in the USB cable. It booted right into MASK ROM mode no problem. I then flash JB and was back up.

So this does work!

FYI the round dot on the NAND chip is pin 1. You count down that side to 7&8 and hold it shorted.

Now a warning to all going from kitkat back to JB.
                DO NOT load up the JB ROM kit and erase NAND. Load up the KitKAt ROM kit, erase NAND, then exit. Now run the JB ROM kit and flash the ROM. This should keep you from hard bricking

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                  FYI, I just bricked my CX-919 going back to jelly bean.

If you run the flash tool and erase NAND with the JB loader 1.24 and JB parameter file it reboots after NAND erase and you can never get it back into flash mode again!

So I took it apart and I shorted pin 7&8 and while shorting I plugged in the USB cable. It booted right into MASK ROM mode no problem. I then flash JB and was back up.

So this does work!

FYI the round dot on the NAND chip is pin 1. You count down that side to 7&8 and hold it shorted.

Now a warning to all going from kitkat back to JB.
                  DO NOT load up the JB ROM kit and erase NAND. Load up the KitKAt ROM kit, erase NAND, then exit. Now run the JB ROM kit and flash the ROM. This should keep you from hard bricking

Bob
                  Thanks Bob, I will try that once again. Is your NAND chip a Micron too?
                  Blog [FR]

Comment

Originally posted by dotvav View Post
                    Thanks Bob, I will try that once again. Is your NAND chip a Micron too?
                    Crap.... I just put it back together. Let me pry it apart and look but I bet it is.

Be right back.

Bob

Comment

It seems activating usb 1.1 did the trick. It was detected when shorting pins 7 & 8.
                      Thanks a lot.
                      Currently flashing your rom, Bob.
                      Many many thanks.

Edit: Found RKAndroid Loader Rock Usb directly. No mask mode...

Edit: Android running fine :-D
                      Last edited by dotvav; 01-15-2014, 20:28.
                      Blog [FR]

Comment

Edit ; made a new thread to not derail/ res this one.
                        Last edited by JovialCharacter; 03-05-2014, 16:55.

Comment

I have a 802 KIIS that had been stuck in cwm loop. After shorting wrong pins HDMI dead. I can boot in mask mode but android tool and flash tool both fail after first successful reset. It appears that device fail to stay in ROM mask mode after reset. Any ideas? Also if only loader checked flash is success. Erase idm success every time.

Comment

Comment

Hi bob
                              how could mask mod device run to loader mod?
                              isn't nobody answer able?
                              Last edited by bahram_z; 09-19-2016, 11:02.

Comment

Working...
                              X