This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An off the cuff thought...

After doing a bit of reading on issues with 118 chips that date back a bit, and spending all day flood testing four different boxes/sticks, the main issue I can see with all the different models is the power supply is so poor, everyone knows this, so what do the box builders do, do they put more money into the power supply, or do rockchip lock down the rk118 and lowering the voltage to help get around the cheap and nasty power supplies, just out of interest I got some Linksys 5v 2a power supplies the other day, they fit the x7 mini and the K-R42 very well, these units were very unstable last week the better one was the K-R42 with stock power supply, maybe this one is -t, but now with new power supplies they are all much more stable, funny the most stable is the non rk118 and that's the neo G4, but I did stick that on a 2 amp power supply..

I just cant see the 118-T being a different chip, my guess is its just a tuned down lower voltage unit, it would cost too much to make another chip with same architecture, especially for the life span left!

as the guys said about the pentium, they were all the top chip just the ones that failed the tests were locked down in the multiplier and given a lower voltage, and many times there were ways of undoing the lock, so maybe the same here, but as with the old Pentiums and Athlons if they are failure at higher clocks they will just fail again when unlocked, well some anyway??

Just a stab in the dark?

Comment

Blinking screen every 1-6s

I have 2 mk902's (3 days) and no 1080p android kernel is working. I tested all the roms I have found on this forum. The only working custom android rom for me is Neomode 1,9a but only 720p not 1080p kernel. Others don't boot. One of them was blinking during boot as well.
      Stock rom on 1400MHz antutu 16400 and Neomode on 1600MHz antutu 19000. Label on the box reads 1600MHz so I guess that i have a 3188T.
      Picuntu and ubuntu (720p and 1080p kernels) blinking from text booting screen from the first second (vnc ok).
      With cpuutils I set CPU freq firstly to 300 and later to 1600MHz and blinkink was not affected. So that definitely not connected with cpu frequency. Firstly I thought that it has something to do with mouse movement and cpu stress because sometimes blinkink stoped for 10s when I rapidly moved with mouse but probably only coincidence.
      If I use stock android kernel in ubuntu then flickering is away, picture is as it should be. Of course booting with android kernel falls into text console. So there must be something different in stock android kernel (and Neomode 1.9a). I already have posted my situation yesterday so forgive me similar double post.
      I wonder if there is new revision of some chip used nowdays which is correctly handled by new original roms or if it is common situation with new devices on the market.
      I bought those mk902 because of 1080p android nad because of linux desktop but bad luck.

Comment

I notice that the same Board is in many different Modells´s.

Here i make a Picture ... (maybe helps anyone here ?)

All have the same Date, Name ...

2013 - 06 - 17
        CYXTECH_RK3188 909

... TVDroid

> > > Devices: Minix Neo X7 & HiSilikon® T-R42 II < < <

Comment

Originally posted by TVDroid View Post
          I notice that the same Board is in many different Modells´s.

Here i make a Picture ... (maybe helps anyone here ?)

All have the same Date, Name ...

2013 - 06 - 17
          CYXTECH_RK3188 909

FYI,
          That's exactly the same board and chips as in the stick I have, which was bought as a CX-919 II.
          same markings as well.
          Greetings!

Comment

Thanks you can take a Picture? Than we got 4 different Devices with the same Board loool
            ... TVDroid

Comment

Originally posted by TVDroid View Post
              Thanks you can take a Picture? Than we got 4 different Devices with the same Board loool
              Sure, no problem, a high res picture will be forthcoming, as soon as I find the cable for my camera. urgh.
              meantime, you can look at these lousy photos for comparison here.

I'm still wondering what purpose the little black paper/plastic square serves, any ideas (jk)

Actually, since it is exactly the same board. seems to me anyway. you can just copy/paste it, and name it but it would show since mine has 2 antenna's, though the solderpads for those antennas seem also in the same place as on the other photos.

Greetings !

Comment

Ok, thank you.
                I got a other Stick but i find this is interesting.
                ... TVDroid

Comment

Originally posted by neomode View Post
                  Well I have testet the kernels with rkpatchomatic tool. This was the point I start to investigate. Because you get 1.8 Kernel but only with 1.4Ghz.
                  I need an idea how to test the GPU Overclock that we have good test examples.
                  Personly i think you can not Overclock the GPU because it has a relationship with the CPU Clock.

Ray

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9305 mit Tapatalk 2
                  Hi all,
                  Neomode i have an mk802iv from rikomagic. I can have the cpu o/ced to 1.8mhz( so i think is rk3188 and not a T), but i can't figure out how to oc the gpu! With every kernel i tried, i just can't.
                  Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by babnik80 View Post
                    Hi all,
                    Neomode i have an mk802iv from rikomagic. I can have the cpu o/ced to 1.8mhz( so i think is rk3188 and not a T), but i can't figure out how to oc the gpu! With every kernel i tried, i just can't.
                    Any ideas?
                    When and where did you bought this device?
                    Btw, as I know GPU speed depends on CPU speed.

Comment

Screen blinking

Recently there have been a lot of people reporting screen blinking!
                      It's become somewhat of a problem all of a sudden.
                      It works fine stock but then they flash a ROM made for their stick and have the problem.

I bet it has to do with this -T model and it might be one of 2 things.

1) The custom ROMs allows 1.6mhz. If you have blinking and have a custom ROM installed please go get Antutu CPU master and try reducing the clock from 1.6 to 1.2 and see if the blinking goes away.

2) The kernel is somehow different with possibly relaxed HDMI timing!
                      Thus what we need is a kernel DUMP from one of these sticks. I bet it is different.

I had a guy in the beelink forum have a CX-919 with this problem. I took the kernel from the Rescue ROM that they report does not have blinking, and asked them to flash it with my CX-919 ROM. The blinking stopped so we know for sure it's in the kernel. Again that rescue kernel could be clocked lower or there is some other difference. It maybe even the GPU us under clocked which might explain the flashing screen!

I plan to look into this deeper when I have time.

Bob
                      "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                      "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                      "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                      "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                      "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                      "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                      "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                      "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                      "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by rebel View Post
                        When and where did you bought this device?
                        Btw, as I know GPU speed depends on CPU speed.
                        i bought it from rikomagic and the sn is 201309. no it doesn't with the right kernel you can oc inly the gpu, so it doesn't depend on the cpu speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                          Recently there have been a lot of people reporting screen blinking!
                          It's become somewhat of a problem all of a sudden.
                          It works fine stock but then they flash a ROM made for their stick and have the problem.

1) The custom ROMs allows 1.6mhz. If you have blinking and have a custom ROM installed please go get Antutu CPU master and try reducing the clock from 1.6 to 1.2 and see if the blinking goes away.

2) The kernel is somehow different with possibly relaxed HDMI timing!
                          Thus what we need is a kernel DUMP from one of these sticks. I bet it is different.

I had a guy in the beelink forum have a CX-919 with this problem. I took the kernel from the Rescue ROM that they report does not have blinking, and asked them to flash it with my CX-919 ROM. The blinking stopped so we know for sure it's in the kernel. Again that rescue kernel could be clocked lower or there is some other difference. It maybe even the GPU us under clocked which might explain the flashing screen!

I plan to look into this deeper when I have time.

Bob
                          Thank you for looking into this for us!

I just flashet Finless 1.5a to my MK908II and then the stick is running at 1.6GHz instead of 1.4GHz, i tried the CPU Master to lower the clock speed to 1.2GHz, but the blinking didn't go away.

Just tell me if I can help in any way!

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                            This can´t Bro, because i got 2 x Cozyswan S400 both are 3188T but only one is flickering with the CustomROMs. And both have 100% the same Chips and Board.
                            ... TVDroid

Comment

Originally posted by Somatom View Post
                              Yes, but.
                              I have this device:

Concorde not only seller, its Rikomagic develope partner. I don't know, this device what is outside. But inside is a MK802IV. The original rom was Riko MK802IV. This moment I use Neomode 1.9a (with 720p kernal), and CPU = 1,2 - 1,4Ghz. I ask my Concorde -contact, and today hi writed me: "no change, Riko use 3188, not T, but from oktober use other CPU -brake method, in karnel ". Hmmm... The stick have a cool sink over the CPU, and I don't know, what is true.

Sorry, for my poor English!
                              My contact today writed me one more mail. Sorry, this is very difficult translating for me. Here is the original (Hungarian) text:

"Szóval biztos ami biztos rákérdeztem a Rikonál processzor ügyében.
                              Gyakorlatilag egyértelműen deklarálta, hogy nem gyárt még és nem is szállít T-s processzort."

Please use Translator, but the Google is ...... from/to Hungarian language.

I think:
                              "I asked Rikomagic, what is the real, with the "T" CPU.
                              Virtuallly clearly declared, Rikomagic no produced and no delivered devices, with "T" CPU."

Comment

@neomode/finless Maybe this can help. I have 2 kernels here.
                                With one the flicker is gone, but wifi doesnt work and the other the wifi works but the flicker is also there. Maybe you can compare them or something.

without wifi but with flickering screen: (this is from your 2.0 rom I think, but I am not 100% sure)

with wifi and with flickering screen: (I am not sure from which rom this kernel is)
                                http://d-h.st/loO

Comment

Working...
                                X