Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help - my TV box has no video output. (CS918)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - my TV box has no video output. (CS918)

My CS918 TV box has no video output.

My TV box started misbehaving badly so I decided to try and do a full reset by pressing the button on the bottom.

All this did was then cause the box to fail to boot.

I opened the box up and compared the PCB to some pictures I found on this site and then downloaded a ROM to attempt a re-flash.

So, I flashed the firmware using the RK batch tool and the flash completed successfully, I connected the box up to my TV and all was great, the box booted up and was working.

So, I replaced the top cover of the box and was already to re-install all my apps but now mt TVs (2 of them) are both saying no HDMI signal.......

Help!

you flashed the wrong rom, must know what youre doing before attempting these things.

now you have to erase the nand flash, and find the right rom and reflash, might be easier to throw it away and get another theyre so cheap now.

Comment

The box was apparently dead anyway, it wasn't booting up so I figured I wasn't going to lose anything.

It's now going to be a mini-project for me to fix it not a financial or sensible reason......

What I don't understand is that ok, I obviously flashed the wrong ROM but why would the box boot up and work 1 time after flashing then not work after being powered off?

I'm pretty sure I know the correct now: CS918_1080_20131214.img but I can only find dead links.

I found one link from this forum but my anti-virus won't let me near it.

So, if I found this ROM and assuming it is right, how would I erase the NAND then reflash?

Please help if you can, like I said I want to use this as a learning curve.

Thanks if you can.

Comment

finless has a rom installation tool that offers erasing of nand flash. I have used it before and it works. you may have to search around for it though, it was for rk3188 which is what your cs918 should have. just use that rom tool to erase then use whatever tool comes with the new rom you want to install to install the new rom.

thats about all the info i have for you, i too own 3 cs918s and i had bricked them all at one time or another and finless rom install tool really helped me work my way out of it.

one of your biggest challenges will be to get the device recognized in windows, thats a challenge within itself.

Comment

The device is still being recognized in Windows and the "wrong" firmware can still be re-flashed again without any errors.

I know it's an outside chance but if I manage to find the correct ROM, might I get lucky?

Comment

OK.

So, I eventually found a ROM on a Russian site that appears to be working, although it does seem to take some time to boot up.

I guess I'll just need to see how it goes and keep looking for a better ROM hopefully eventually find the stock one.

Comment

I've returned to me mini-project of trying to get this box working.

I'm fairly certain that my box has the same PCA as the poster in this thread:

reaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/rk3188-devices/other-rk3188-devices/21103-cs918-rk3188-rtl8723as-wifi-bluetooth-android-4-2-2-loader-v2-13-06072014

However, I still have the same problem. I can flash the ROM image and the unit will boot a single time and work well but after it's shut down or powered off - it's dead.

I'm sure this can be recovered and that something is corrupt somewhere.

I've tried erasing nand from the device itself and it works and reboots but as soon as I manually shut down it fails.

Any ideas?
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Can I bump this?

I'm convinced I'm using the right firmware.

The kernel version is zx@host which appears to correspond with the zx markings on the pcb.

The box boots a single time and works perfectly then fails to boot as soon as shut down or powered off. There must be something easy I'm missing when flashing.

I'm using: RK3188_R-BOX-ANDROID4.2.2-SDK_V1.0.0138514

Help please.......

Comment

hello im having exactly the same issue could anyone help please? i also flashed with rkbatchtool and siad it was a success in green but no hdmi output. have i bricked it? also if so how do i unbrick it? cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X