Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Guide] How-to Indentify Revision, Back up ROM, Root, Flash TWRP & Install Xposed Framework [2016][CS918 v2_6]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Guide] How-to Indentify Revision, Back up ROM, Root, Flash TWRP & Install Xposed Framework [2016][CS918 v2_6]

Hey guys,

After numerous hours of puling out my hair trying to figure out how to do the things listed in the title, I've finally done it. Along the way I came across many old threads, links, methods etc that were either dead or just didn't work. So after reaching this stage I thought it would be pretty useful to put together a quick write-up/guide of what I've done.

My device is a CS918 v2_6

Disclaimer: Everything you choose to do after reading this guide is at YOUR own risk. I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards & thermonuclear wars or anything else. If anything goes wrong YOU are responsible for any modifications to YOUR device. I have experimented and these are MY findings.

PRO-TIP: BE SURE TO HAVE A 100% DEFECT FREE USB CABLE TO CONNECT YOUR DEVICE TO YOUR PC AS WELL AS 100% DEFECT FREE USB PORT.

1) Identifying What Revision You Have

For the CS918 (variants) there are four feet on the underside, just peel those four feet up and there should be four screws under them. You should then be able to pry your TV Box into two pieces, a quick search on the internet should help you identify what one you or it will just say.

This is what a CS918 v2_6 looks like, see if you can spot where it say's v2_6

Here is a link which shows the difference of internals between the T-42, MK918, Q7 & CS918 although they all have the same exterior casing

Tip: Be sure to use the CORRECT size screwdriver, the last thing you want is to strip the screws

2) Backing Up - A Good Idea Before You Try ANYTHING Else:

Finless has made a pretty good and explanatory guide for us. The only comment I can add here is make sure you read the instructions once, twice and three times just to make sure you fully understand what's going on. It's easier to do when you can understand the concept, rather than reading and following instructions point-by-point.

Finless Thread | Download

Tip: When flashing anything you need to click on their file paths then navigate to them all

3) Rooting

I tried Root Genius, TPSarky with MoboRobo & finally Kingo Root. Both RT & TPS did not work, they claimed to have finished the process successfully but when I used Root Checker it always failed. I used Kingo Root as last resort as it comes with it's own root manager, which I didn't want, luckily enough I did manage to find a guide to replace it with SuperSU.

The process, first use MoboRobo to get the correct drivers for your device and then install Kingo Root and just follow the on-screen instructions. To verify it has worked just install Root Checker and when you run it there should be a pop up from Kingo Root manager, with Root Checker asking for root access, be sure to allow it. It may not pop up in time, just allow it then run it again. If for whatever reason the process isn't successful just trying unplugging your device then plug it back in and root again, trying to remove root in the UI normally fails.

Follow this guide if you want to switch Kingo Root manager with SuperSU, use the "new ver" link.

Tip: Moborobo & Kingoroot may install extra apks onto your device, remove them.

Kingo Root Download | MoboRobo Downoad | Root Checker

4) Flashing TWRP

I have another rooted Android device running TWRP so when I found a thread with TWRP on my RK3188 I jumped at the chance. First reason being I had assumed I needed it to install Xposed Framework, which I actually didn't and the second reason being Nandroid backups (I've made a backup but not attempted to restore it yet).

To install TWRP just find the corresponding version for your device, next;
    1. Download it
    2. Rename it to recovery.img
    3. Add recovery.img & parameter.txt to Finless ROM Flash Tool v1.37
    4. Click Flash ROM

I used TWRP 1280x800 rk3188 KitKat.

Tip: To enter recovery/TWRP on the CS918 press the power button then HOLD down the recovery button.

TWRP 2.7.0.0 for Rockchips

5. Installing Xposed Framework

Just follow the simple instructions here from the official XDA thread:

Download the Xposed Installer APK and install it
    1. Launch the Xposed Installer, go to the "Framework" section and click on "Install/Update"
    2. Reboot
    3. Done!
    Source

IMPORTANT - IN CASE OF BOOTLOOPS

Quick explanation of the safemode: It was developed by @Tungstwenty and makes it possible to disable Xposed by repeatedly pressing one of the hardware buttons during early startup. The phone will vibrate twice when the first key press has been detected. Then you have five seconds to press the same button four more times. Each key press will be confirmed with a short vibration; the final one with a long vibration. It creates /data/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/conf/disabled, which prevents most of Xposed's actions (e.g. no hooks are made and no modules are loaded). There's no 100% guarantee that this will get you out of a bootloop, but in most cases it should.

I do not know if this works for our TV Boxes as there are only two buttons, however it's worth being aware.

Source

If that doesn't work, you can flash the attached Xposed-Disabler-Recovery.zip by Tungstwenty. It will be copied to your (external) SD card when you install Xposed as well. The only thing it does is copying /system/bin/app_process.orig back to /system/bin/app_process, which you can also do yourself (e.g. with adb shell in recovery mode).
    I haven't had a chance to try this either but it seems more likely to work. However, when I installed the framework this .zip file was NOT copied anywhere to my device so I downloaded the file from from the link at the bottom of the post then placed into the root of my CS918. This way, if there's a bootloop I can boot into TWRP and just flash it.

Source

Comments:
    • This post is currently a WIP
    • None of these procedures are limited to the CS918 v2_6 but this is the device I have happened to go through the process with
    • 1080p playback on this device is fine so no need to hunt for a custom ROM. I can play 1080p via Kodi & BS Player. I did however have issues with 1080p playback back on XBMC.
    • The main issue I've had with this device is overheating, it would literally overheat & turn itself off. To fix it I just bought bigger rubber feet and stuck them on the bottom of it so it's higher off the surface therefore allowing increased air flow/heat to dissipate faster

Mirrors:
    Last edited by 654894065151; 01-19-2016, 23:00.
Working...
X