Trying to root RK31T (?!?!?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to root RK31T (?!?!?)

I am a total noob, I've never rooted any of my phones or changed ROM's. Haven't had very much need for it.

Well, I recently I bought this: http://dx.com/p/rk31t-android-4-2-2-...g-black-213840

Since then I've done a bit of research and found out that Netflix does not work on 4.2.2 very well and I bought that stick just because of it. As you can see, it is a some kind of a generic stick and I have no idea where to begin. I've found couple of rooting instructions, I bet I can pull it off easily, but what roms?!

I'd like to have the Finless rom because of the XBOX controller support, but I really just need Android 4.1 to get the netflix running.

So, here are my questions:
    1. Does it matter with stock android what stick it is?
    2. Is there a way to see just how "generic" this stick is? I can pry it open and present pictures if it helps. I'm having a hard time believing the ones who are making these sticks are designing them to be very unique.
    3. Is there any finless rom I could try while in doubt?
    4. How easy it is to recover the stick to stock if something goes wrong? What should I take in to consideration?
    Thanks in advance.

Tronsmart

Now that I've looked around, this thing looks exactly like that Tronsmart stick (without the label);

China-1 Stock | Buy Tronsmart T428 Quad Core Mini PC Android 4.2 Rockchip RK3188 2G DDR3 Wifi/Bluetooth TV BOX online at unbeatable prices. ✓Free Shipping ✓Limited Time Sale ✓Local Warehouses.

Question:

Is there a way to confirm similarity?

Comment

Advancing...

I installed the RK3188 drivers in the flash mode and windows shows the device... but root tool does not find it. None of them do.

Comment

Is there a stock ROM download from the vendor for this?
        If not I would not try messing with it for now. Without a stock ROM to recover from a brick, your risking it.

It does look like the T428 from Tronsmart but let me tell you the case means nothing. Clones can be all over the place as far as different wifi/BT hardware.

Bob
        "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
        "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
        "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
        "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
        "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
        "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
        "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
        "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
        "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Well.

I'm thinking I'll sacrifice it for science. If it does not work, I will order some stick that have the ability to run Netflix. I just hate it when I buy something for a particular use, and it does everything but the thing I want to use it for.

It seemed the geekbuying page had a picture of the tronsmart cracked open. I could use some pointers: what should I look for (good) signs of simularity?

edit.

PS. Oh and thanks you.
          PSS. It seems I can't put the 4.2.2 as a mass storage, and it has to do with the rooting programs not recognizing it...
          Last edited by Mr Thunder; 07-10-2013, 20:16. Reason: PS's

Comment

Well, I used my amazing intelligence (brute force) and got it open without breaking it. It seems the board design is exactly the same. The chips had some labels on them which were different. I didn't go as far as removing the "heat spreader" (a metal plate) from the SOC.

See for yourself:

Aaand the other side:

Comment

Solution

Ok, I got the netflix working for now. I hope this thread will help people like me, searching for a solution for this particular problem.

The solution is here:

Netflix disables their app on most Android TV boxes. Find out how to install the Netflix APK on any device you want it in this article.

Just download the previous version of Netflix presented in the article behind the link and install it on your android stick. Simple as that.

Comment

Well, the old version of netflix working for like 10 seconds, then freezes (no buffering, it just stops). Tried to release some memory and even storage space, but no luck. So back to the drawing board;

I need to root it and change the rom. But that's not going too well.

I read from another thread, it might be it's in a usb 3 port. I only have 2 x usb2, so will be testing that today. The other problem I might have is I can't set it to mass storage since there doesen't seem to be a way to do it in android 4.2.2 .

Comment

Re: Trying to root RK31T (?!?!?)

Originally posted by Mr Thunder View Post
                  Well, the old version of netflix working for like 10 seconds, then freezes (no buffering, it just stops). Tried to release some memory and even storage space, but no luck. So back to the drawing board;

I need to root it and change the rom. But that's not going too well.

I read from another thread, it might be it's in a usb 3 port. I only have 2 x usb2, so will be testing that today. The other problem I might have is I can't set it to mass storage since there doesen't seem to be a way to do it in android 4.2.2 .
                  No, a usb 3.0 is a handicap to update, usb 2.0 is the best to use for update roms.

I suggest you try to make a ron dump of your actual rom or contact with the seller to have a backup of your actual rom before update.

leolas
                  REMEMBER, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.
                  My devices:
                  Minix Neo X7; Minix Neo X8-H , Minix Neo Z64W & Z64 (Sponsored by Minix)
                  MK902 & MK902II(Sponsored by RKM)
                  Beelink M8B & Beelink R89 (Sponsored by Beelink)
                  Tronsmart VEGA S89H (Sponsored by
                  Gearbest.com)
                  MELE-PCG03 (Sponsored by Gearbest.com) Discount Coupon:MPCG03
                  Ainol Intel Z3735 MiniPC(Sponsored by Gearbest.com)
                  Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

Originally posted by leolas View Post
                    No, a usb 3.0 is a handicap to update, usb 2.0 is the best to use for update roms.

I suggest you try to make a ron dump of your actual rom or contact with the seller to have a backup of your actual rom before update.

leolas
                    Hi, and thank you for your input.

That was what I was trying to say. I have connected the device through:
                    1. USB hub in a 2.0 port - windows recognizes, root program not
                    2. 2.0 port in the front panel of my pc (don't trust it, since it some times don't even recognize memory sticks) - windows recognizes, root program not
                    3. 3.0 port in tge back of the pc - windows recognizes, root program not

Will see about the dump options, but like I said earlier, I have no problem killing this stick.

Comment

OK, it's official

I got the flashing program to find the device. I flashed with this:

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?5204-NEW-Tronsmart-T428-Android-4-2-2-Finleiss-ROM-1-5A-quot-Official-quot

Worked, works. Wifi, sound, storage. Netflix, Youtube everything I've tested.

It seems that RK31T is a Tronsmart T428 clone. I'm going to make sure, those who buy it from Dealextreme know it.

And mr Bob, nice ROM. War, I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Thunder View Post
                        It seems that RK31T is a Tronsmart T428 clone. I'm going to make sure, those who buy it from Dealextreme know it.
                        Yes! But RK31 have a 1080p via Tronsmart t428 - 720p output resolution

Comment

if your device not detected or found via command "adb devices"...please read this thread!

Comment

Working...
                          X