Drivers for Windows 8.1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drivers for Windows 8.1?

So, our university got some previews for Windows 8.1, as we're an IT class, we got them to test some stuff if they are working. I've settled in, everything's working fine, except for one thing. I cannot get the sticks to work in Download/MaskROM mode - Windows simply says that there was an error getting the Device Descriptor, and that it cannot install the drivers.

The RockUSB V3.5 drivers are refused, no matter which one I try, and I simply can't get my stick recognized. How the hell am I supposed to flash it now?

Did anyone else run into such a problem (yes I am aware of the leaks, and I suppose some of the hacky users already installed it, so no reason to deny!)? Did you find a solution?

Originally posted by fonix232 View Post
    So, our university got some previews for Windows 8.1, as we're an IT class, we got them to test some stuff if they are working. I've settled in, everything's working fine, except for one thing. I cannot get the sticks to work in Download/MaskROM mode - Windows simply says that there was an error getting the Device Descriptor, and that it cannot install the drivers.

The RockUSB V3.5 drivers are refused, no matter which one I try, and I simply can't get my stick recognized. How the hell am I supposed to flash it now?

Did anyone else run into such a problem (yes I am aware of the leaks, and I suppose some of the hacky users already installed it, so no reason to deny!)? Did you find a solution?
    I have. Can't get my rockchip device into flash mode, and when I do it manually, drivers can't seem to install properly. Even if I add the drivers manually from device manager. Maybe flash tool needs to be updated and the driver as well..

Comment

Originally posted by domon07 View Post
      I have. Can't get my rockchip device into flash mode, and when I do it manually, drivers can't seem to install properly. Even if I add the drivers manually from device manager. Maybe flash tool needs to be updated and the driver as well..
      I figured it out.
      The problem is not with Windows 8.1 - well it actually is, but not in the regular way.
      8.1 brings some updates to the USB stack - better, more detailed error messages, and most importantly, a new way of determining devices if they're working correct or not. As the MaskROM mode uses a damn old protocol, it does not respond properly, and Windows flags the device as faulty, stops everything else, and bye-bye Download mode. As it gets the faulty device VID and PID (0x0000,0x0002), the drivers are refused no matter what (even if you add these VID and PID to the supported list!).
      Solution: Either install an older Windows, or Linux. On Linux, get VMWare with XP running, and pass over the device.
      Actual solution: Wait till Rockchip updates the bootloader, with a more up-to-date protocol. Then we can use it on 8.1

Comment

Same problm here trying to install on MK908II

I've been having the same problem on my new windows 8 X64 system that I just built. I've probably spent 5 hours on this. The technique in this video got me the furthest so far https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvS1ImJCs6g This method actually got the driver installed but yes as you said windows just shuts it down and doesn’t let it communicate at all.
        Here’s what I’ve tried:
        Shutdown windows driver signing requirement
        Tried several different USB settings in the BIOS
        Stopped windows defender
        Several rock chip devices Mk808, MK908II, T428
        Tried Windows 8 X86 driver, Win 7 X64 ect.
        Removed ghost USB devices in device manager
        Entered flash mode about a million times and tried to add drivers
        Still no luck. Luckily I have several computers but it would be really nice to get this one working.

Comment

Try this guys. Newer PC may not have or support old USB 2.0 and have all 3.0 ports.
          I got a couple guys working with this change.

In my ROM flash kit open the settings.ini file.
          Edit this line
          SUPPORTUSB11=0
          Change this to a 1
          Or if yours says 1 already change it to a 0
          Close the flash tool and reopen it.

Bob
          "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
          "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
          "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
          "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
          "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
          "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
          "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
          "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
          "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by riversdirect View Post
            I've been having the same problem on my new windows 8 X64 system that I just built. I've probably spent 5 hours on this. The technique in this video got me the furthest so far https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvS1ImJCs6g This method actually got the driver installed but yes as you said windows just shuts it down and doesn’t let it communicate at all.
            Here’s what I’ve tried:
            Shutdown windows driver signing requirement
            Tried several different USB settings in the BIOS
            Stopped windows defender
            Several rock chip devices Mk808, MK908II, T428
            Tried Windows 8 X86 driver, Win 7 X64 ect.
            Removed ghost USB devices in device manager
            Entered flash mode about a million times and tried to add drivers
            Still no luck. Luckily I have several computers but it would be really nice to get this one working.
            May I ask, which bootloader are you on? With Win8, I had it working on 1.20, but 1.04, etc., had problems like this.

Originally posted by Finless View Post
            Try this guys. Newer PC may not have or support old USB 2.0 and have all 3.0 ports.

Edit this line
            SUPPORTUSB11=0
            Change this to a 1

Bob
            Bob, not a chance that this is the problem
            First of all, it is not an issue with the Flash tools - but with Windows. It is Windows that does not recognize the device, and refuses to install drivers (or even initialize the device).
            Second, my laptop only has USB 2.0 ports, no 3.0 (old HP EliteBook 8530p). So that is out of question too.

Comment

Thanks but still can't connect

Edit this line
              SUPPORTUSB11=0
              Change this to a 1

Bob

Thanks Bob, I tried your suggestion but no luck. I think the problem is more with the USB drivers because even before I opened your software the box on the task bar says there was a problem with the USB device. Also there is an exclamation mark by the device in the device manager. I've also tried 5 other USB ports (there's a mix of USB 2 and 3 on this board) and my USB hub just for gigs but still no luck. This is a pretty standard i7 system running on the Asus Z87 MB. Im so tempted to buy another win 7 disk and put it back on. I guess the time to configure it is the only thing stopping me. Anyway, if you hear of any new win 8 USB drivers let me know and I'll keep this updated if/when things change.

Thanks,
              Rivers

Comment

Thanks Bob, I tried your suggestion but no luck. I think the problem is more with the USB drivers because even before I opened your software the box on the task bar says there was a problem with the USB device. Also there is an exclamation mark by the device in the device manager. I've also tried 5 other USB ports (there's a mix of USB 2 and 3 on this board) and my USB hub just for gigs but still no luck. This is a pretty standard i7 system running on the Asus Z87 MB. Im so tempted to buy another win 7 disk and put it back on. I guess the time to configure it is the only thing stopping me. Anyway, if you hear of any new win 8 USB drivers let me know and I'll keep this updated if/when things change.

Thanks,
                Rivers
                Please read my post and answer the questions The BL version would help a lot, as I had no issue with Windows 8 (Core, Pro, Enterprise, all x64) with any RK3188 running the 1.20 bootloader, only on 8.1!

Comment

Please read my post and answer the questions The BL version would help a lot, as I had no issue with Windows 8 (Core, Pro, Enterprise, all x64) with any RK3188 running the 1.20 bootloader, only on 8.1!

Hi Fonix,
                  Honestly I don't know how to check which version bootloader I have. I don't have a dual boot system so I just went with the win 8 defalt. Can you tell me how to check it?

Comment

Hi Fonix,
                    Honestly I don't know how to check which version bootloader I have. I don't have a dual boot system so I just went with the win 8 defalt. Can you tell me how to check it?
                    Oh, no no no, not the Windows bootloader! The bootloader of the stick (RK3188Loader) is what's important, as it contains the code for MaskROM (and also USB protocols).

Comment

Oh, no no no, not the Windows bootloader! The bootloader of the stick (RK3188Loader) is what's important, as it contains the code for MaskROM (and also USB protocols).
                      If you tell me how to find the bootloader version I'll let you know. When I look for the version in the app Android system info it just says unknown for the BL. None of my devices work though. I have at least 15 RK 3188 and 3066 AMPs and none of them will connect to this computer.
                      Last edited by riversdirect; 10-03-2013, 18:40.

Comment

If you tell me how to find the bootloader version I'll let you know. When I look for the version in the app Android system info it just says unknown for the BL. None of my devices work though. I have at least 15 RK 3188 and 3066 AMPs and none of them will connect to this computer.
                        Just take a look at the ROM you flashed (preferably extracted, then you can see the RK3188Loader_(L)v1.xx.bin file).

Comment

Just take a look at the ROM you flashed (preferably extracted, then you can see the RK3188Loader_(L)v1.xx.bin file).
                          Ok Its the Finless 1.4a V1.20 loader.

Comment

Please note that the usb storage drivers can be installed on Windows 8.1 and can be detected by the flash tool. However, when you press reboot to flash mode, it will not work. That's why I think it has something to do with the program to command the tablet to reboot to flash mode before it will install the correct drivers.

Comment

Hey guys, I've finally managed to get the flash tool to work on windows 8.1!

1) First you need do reboot windows with driver signature disabled: configure->change pc settings-> update & recovery -> recovery-> advanced startup -> troubleshoot -> advanced options -> restart -> 7

2) After reboot, go to folder where is windows 8 rockchip driver: right click on rockusb.inf and click in install.

3) Plug your device on usb, go to the Device Manager, and disable the "usb root hub" where your device is plugged. To find which one is, try to see the energy tab.

4) Do the Bob thing:

Edit this line
                              SUPPORTUSB11=0
                              Change this to a 1

Bob
                              OBS: sorry for my bad english.

Comment

Working...
                              X