Confusion regarding firmware model.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confusion regarding firmware model.

Hello there guys. I'm trying to understand what is the exact CPU model number of my Android TV Box as I need to flash the stock firmware.

In order to do that I need to know correct CPU model number or else facing the risk of bricking my device.

I used the app droidinfo and others, but I keep running into a confusing. On the device tab under 'Model' info it mentions the CPU firmware as 'rk3318_box'. While under the build fingerprint it shows 'rk3328_box'.

Even on the device factory reset boot menu it shows rk3328_box. So I'm stuck with confusion whether it is a Rockchip RK3318 CPU or RK3328.

The manufacture website says RK3318 but then this device info apps has thrown me into uncertainity. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Originally posted by 007thunderbird View Post
    Hello there guys. I'm trying to understand what is the exact CPU model number of my Android TV Box as I need to flash the stock firmware.

In order to do that I need to know correct CPU model number or else facing the risk of bricking my device.

I used the app droidinfo and others, but I keep running into a confusing. On the device tab under 'Model' info it mentions the CPU firmware as 'rk3318_box'. While under the build fingerprint it shows 'rk3328_box'.

Even on the device factory reset boot menu it shows rk3328_box. So I'm stuck with confusion whether it is a Rockchip RK3318 CPU or RK3328.

The manufacture website says RK3318 but then this device info apps has thrown me into uncertainity. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Hi ,

to be sure look on PCB , but 3318 & 3328 are nearly the same , i think ,

do you have the Stockrom , ask Seller ,

good luck / gefattern

Comment

You have the A95X_R3? Which is a newer device and will most likely have the weaker cheaper CPU RK3318 chip.

In both pictures your arrows are pointing to the Fingerprint, meaning the Software engineer used the RK3328_box SDK to build the firmware, but because of the different chip they will most likely be using a Bootloader for the RK3318 which is not compatible with RK3328, hope that helps you understand.

Comment

Download the Device Info HW app (the best app to get device Info specs), see what it says you have for CPU under SOC section.

Comment

Originally posted by gefattern View Post

Hi ,

to be sure look on PCB , but 3318 & 3328 are nearly the same , i think ,

do you have the Stockrom , ask Seller ,

good luck / gefattern
          Thank you the seller didn't replied but I manage to find the firmware on the internet. The issue is with Wifi speed is way too low. I updated the box but it slowed down. Hence flashing the stock rom back onto the device.

Comment

Originally posted by RiCkLaR_atvX View Post
            Download the Device Info HW app (the best app to get device Info specs), see what it says you have for CPU under SOC section.
            Thanks for you replies and I installed Device Info HW. Unfortunately it has somewhat increased the confusion even more as it is showing four different CPU names. I'm attaching the screenshots.

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Lol, I see the confusion...
                This : rk3318_box is confirmation of the design path that was chosen, so you have the RK3318 cpu.

Another sure way to check is to open the device case, and 80% of the time the CPU name will be written on a quality control sticker or directly printed in White on the board.

Comment

This : rk3318_box is confirmation of the design path that was chosen, so you have the RK3318 cpu.
                  Thank. The information immensely helped!

Another sure way to check is to open the device case, and 80% of the time the CPU name will be written on a quality control sticker or directly printed in White on the board.
                  Yes, initially I was going to do that but not sure where and how this box is made up because I don't see any screw holes to be unscrewed and hence thought of asking online. The Android Box may not have been bricked but certainly broken. haha

Comment

Originally posted by 007thunderbird View Post
                    Yes, initially I was going to do that but not sure where and how this box is made up because I don't see any screw holes to be unscrewed and hence thought of asking online. The Android Box may not have been bricked but certainly broken. haha
                    If box has rubber feet, then screws holes and screws are hidden below the rubber feet, and if not then just take a hard plastic scraper and gently separate the bottom from the top in clockwise rotation till the halves separate.

Comment

If box has rubber feet, then screws holes and screws are hidden below the rubber feet, and if not then just take a hard plastic scraper and gently separate the bottom from the top in clockwise rotation till the halves separate.
                      Well it does not actually have any rubber feet or a plastic which I would rotate in a clockwise direction. But yes, I did looked under it and there this was this little tiny opening so I thought I can try to pry it with mini screwdriver and it worked! Makes me wonder why didn't I opened the box before posting here. Guess was bit nervous since it is actually my brother's which I have borrowed from him! haha

But anyways thanks once again for all the information and assistance you provided.
                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

IDK i have the same issue with a box i have, so is mine the 3229 V2.0 or the 3228A?

The sticker on the SD cover even says "MXQRK29" but it also says "RK3228A"

I just know im gona brick it if i try any firm way ill be wrong

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BowerR64 View Post
                          IDK i have the same issue with a box i have, so is mine the 3229 V2.0 or the 3228A?
                          The sticker on the SD cover even says "MXQRK29" but it also says "RK3228A"
                          I just know im gona brick it if i try any firm way ill be wrong
                          MXQ is the absolute worse brand, they do stupid stuff exactly like what you have --sticker don't match board. Not only that they hack they firmware for stupid reasons that don't improve device at all. If my memory is correct the rk3229 is the original cortex-a7 old chip that got released and the rk3228A is the updated version of the same chip, most likely they are so close in design that they can be used on the old board design for rk3229.

But, if you're asking me "What To-Do?" --then my answer is throw it in the trash, 1) because it is MXQ brand, 2) because the chip is weak/not-powerful; so do yourself a favor and get a newer device that has software support from the manufacturer or by some of the extraordinary ROM developers found here on FreakTab.

Comment

Man i dont want to be rude but ive gotten that advise before on another device i have.

My problem is if i try other roms and brick it i wont feel bad, the other devices i have all work and do what i want.

I just want to use this to learn with

I want to first learn to back up the stock firmware and be for sure that it is ok and save it on a seperate disk, then i want to try a file that runs the unit slightly faster then stock because i already have better then stock cooling with a fan epoxied on the stock chip

I al\lready have both shield versions, 2 boxes with All winner H6, 2 with the S905X3, 2 with the S905X2, a box with a RK3399, 3 4K firesticks, been thinking about one of those Khadas boxes or a S922X im sure ill wind up with both im hooked on these things

I still remember my first home built computer me and my brother bought celeron machines the most fun was pushing the cheap stuff to its max, it was silly because we spent more money on cooling and heatsinks when we could just go out and get a Pentium that would out perform the celeron with no fan and probably save money but it wasnt fun

Comment

Working...
                            X