MK908ii and Linux again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MK908ii and Linux again

So, after two days of intensive searching and testing I found out that there seems to be some Problems with the MK908ii and Linux. On facebook someone posted, that Picuntu 4.5 should work, I can not confirm that. Installing works, yes, but from the beginning of booting, even before any driver could be loaded, the screen begins to flash. Every 2 or 3 sec, and every 20 sec or so a one sec black screen. Seems like a problem with the Kernel, because every Linux version I tried had the same Problem. And I am not alone, as I could see on Facebook.
    So what I tried was installing, feels like dozens of diffrent Kernels, Recoverys, full updates, Finless Roms, vary each with everything, same result or not booting at all (mostly with normal MK908 recoverys).
    So, Why posting that? I said every Distro I tried failed, but in the end, that not true. I found one, desined for the Radxa developement PC, or something like that, in fact worked!
    It's Ubuntu, is really fast and no screen flashes or anything up until now. Only problem: No Wireless.. More I could not look after for now.
    The main reason I'm posting is: With this distro, the one who are into custom romming, i tried the last hours, but its too complicated to find out in some hours, could read out the boot.img and so on and maybe find out, why only that think is working. And I bet there is more interesting information in these Distro.
    So, at the end of course the Link where to find the Radxa Images. I will look into dualboot Image now and look, what I can find^^

Originally posted by flowd View Post
    So, after two days of intensive searching and testing I found out that there seems to be some Problems with the MK908ii and Linux. On facebook someone posted, that Picuntu 4.5 should work, I can not confirm that. Installing works, yes, but from the beginning of booting, even before any driver could be loaded, the screen begins to flash. Every 2 or 3 sec, and every 20 sec or so a one sec black screen. Seems like a problem with the Kernel, because every Linux version I tried had the same Problem. And I am not alone, as I could see on Facebook.
    So what I tried was installing, feels like dozens of diffrent Kernels, Recoverys, full updates, Finless Roms, vary each with everything, same result or not booting at all (mostly with normal MK908 recoverys).
    So, Why posting that? I said every Distro I tried failed, but in the end, that not true. I found one, desined for the Radxa developement PC, or something like that, in fact worked!
    Try to flash my kernel with Picuntu 4.5 on NAND: here
    Or you can try to compile a kernel for radxa ROM using this tutorial.
    The only thing you need to do is to enable AP6210 chip (type "make menuconfig" after "make rk3188_radxa_rock_defconfig", then "Device drivers - Networking - Wireless").
    I'm going to try this in the near future too.

Comment

Wow.. That worked!!!
      Where did you get that Kernel from? did you build it yourself? Man, really 1000 thx, now it works like it should )

Comment

Thanks OP and #2. I'm going to try this soon... the potential of these devices, I tell ya.

Comment

Wow.. That worked!!!
          Where did you get that Kernel from? did you build it yourself? Man, really 1000 thx, now it works like it should )
          I've used the config file from user shaan_npl posted here for compiling.

Comment

I did try Picuntu and it worked very nicely. only issue I had was not being able to change screen resolution from 1080p. I didn't need Gorch's kernel.

Comment

Hi OP and Gorch,

I too have mk908II and have been getting screen flashing/flickering issue. Tried all sort of android roms (incl finless) but the problem persists. I think you guys nailed it? So system from this location (radxa-raring-alip-update.img) http://radxa.com/download/ and kernel that Gorch posted "Try to flash my kernel with Picuntu 4.5 on NAND: here"

Above two should do the trick? I want to use xmbc and thats it on my stick.

THanks

Comment

@ freakbrave
                The problem i see is the hardware-acc, that wont work with linux currently. If you only want to use xbmc, should android not support that? With Android you have Hardware-Acc. But I never used xbmc, so im not sure if its fully integrated in Android, just saw videos on Youtube..

Comment

well android should but I have been reading that rdavenport linux rom fixed this flashing/flickering issue
                  and none of android rom that i flashed have fixed this issue ..

what is hardware-acc ? beg for my pardon for ignorance.

@ freakbrave
                  The problem i see is the hardware-acc, that wont work with linux currently. If you only want to use xbmc, should android not support that? With Android you have Hardware-Acc. But I never used xbmc, so im not sure if its fully integrated in Android, just saw videos on Youtube..

Comment

Originally posted by freakbrave View Post
                    well android should but I have been reading that rdavenport linux rom fixed this flashing/flickering issue
                    and none of android rom that i flashed have fixed this issue ..

what is hardware-acc ? beg for my pardon for ignorance.
                    I mean hardware acceleration, for smoother video playback and game performance. How does that work with you? i try https://plus.google.com/+IanMORRISON/posts/NEWG6Mtz5U7 right now, is not with picuntu but maybe it works. on the other hand, i like dualboot more^^

Comment

I mean hardware acceleration, for smoother video playback and game performance. How does that work with you? i try https://plus.google.com/+IanMORRISON/posts/NEWG6Mtz5U7 right now, is not with picuntu but maybe it works. on the other hand, i like dualboot more^^
                      Sir, have you made any progress with this?

I am looking into running Android from SD card because nand chip in MK908ii is really bad and causes apps to crash all the time..

Regards.

Comment

I'm having this exact same problem. Except Picuntu 4.5 won't boot at all.

I've tried Ubuntu and Debian from this link http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...based-TV-boxes
                        It boots, but I get the screen flicker. Except my flicker is so bad I never even see text.

I tried installing Picuntu with the kernel listed here and it won't boot at all. So I'm still stumped at the moment. Mine is a Tronsmart MK908II

Originally posted by Gorch View Post
                        Try to flash my kernel with Picuntu 4.5 on NAND: here
                        Or you can try to compile a kernel for radxa ROM using this tutorial.
                        The only thing you need to do is to enable AP6210 chip (type "make menuconfig" after "make rk3188_radxa_rock_defconfig", then "Device drivers - Networking - Wireless").
                        I'm going to try this in the near future too.

Comment

One more update if anyone is still watching this thread!

I'm able to use http://radxa.com/download/ and boot with no problems. As mentioned in this thread it works but no wifi. Also, due to the lack of modules I can't get anything working either.

Just to be sure I went back and downloaded a client Picuntu 4.5 NAND and flashed it. It doesn't boot at all. I then tried substituting the kernel. Same thing, doesn't even boot or flicker what-so-ever. My guess is that the Tronsmart MK908II must have something slightly different than everyone else's since radxa is the only thing it will boot successfully with.

When I tried to compile the modules for radxa I can't even get the internal wifi module to compile. I followed the instructions and when I go to 'make modules' I get an error about rkwifi.

Ugh...I want this thing to work, its quite cool and I've got a project in mind for it but thus far I'm totally stumped.

Comment

Have you resolved the problem? I also have a tronsmart mk908ii and have the same problem, either no booting up or no wireless.

Originally posted by urge4vert View Post
                            One more update if anyone is still watching this thread!

I'm able to use http://radxa.com/download/ and boot with no problems. As mentioned in this thread it works but no wifi. Also, due to the lack of modules I can't get anything working either.

Just to be sure I went back and downloaded a client Picuntu 4.5 NAND and flashed it. It doesn't boot at all. I then tried substituting the kernel. Same thing, doesn't even boot or flicker what-so-ever. My guess is that the Tronsmart MK908II must have something slightly different than everyone else's since radxa is the only thing it will boot successfully with.

When I tried to compile the modules for radxa I can't even get the internal wifi module to compile. I followed the instructions and when I go to 'make modules' I get an error about rkwifi.

Ugh...I want this thing to work, its quite cool and I've got a project in mind for it but thus far I'm totally stumped.

Comment

After flashing mine about 4-5 times it entered a state where I had to short out the NAND pins to get it to the very basic boot loader. After following several different docs I was never able to recover it. In the end I gave up and I will not be buying any other Tronsmart products.

Sorry :-/

Originally posted by xpanda View Post
                              Have you resolved the problem? I also have a tronsmart mk908ii and have the same problem, either no booting up or no wireless.

Comment

Working...
                              X