Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MK908 V3 not ready for primetime yet?

I received MK908 V3 few days back.
    When ordering I thought there's good support of custom ROMs for MK908, but that changed overnight as V3 came out.
    The one I received is V3 and there's not a single custom ROM yet which works for everyday use.

The best ROM probably is the official 08/02 update from tronsmart itself, but it's far from being perfect. Here are my observations:
    1) No true 1080p output(I would say it looks BAD on my 47" TV)
    2) WiFi is very poor. Random disconnects and speeds are in few 100s of kbps (this makes the device useless). I heard that you need to have an N- router to make it better, but I don't have it right now so can't test. I'm going to order a RJ45 to USB adapter to see if connectivity gets better.
    3) This might be just me, but I get constant flickering on TV(every 3 sec).
    4) I also have a Mele F10 Pro air-mouse + keyboard, which works ok.
    5) I haven't tried bluetooth yet

I'm going to do some more testing on this stick once I get more time over the weekend.

I know that there are talented devs working on custom ROM for V3 and I'm waiting for a new release from them before I can make this one a daily driver for my TV. I hope Finless ROM support comes fast for this one.
    I'm even thinking to return this, but I believe I have to pay for shipping which is 1/3rd of price of the stick.
    I wish I ordered an MK808/802 instead for 2/3rd of the price of this crap.

I've seen this V3 mentioned a lot here and there.

What is it and when did it start shipping?

Did they change the hardware of the MK908 and not tell anyone?

Since getting the video sync issue resolved I'm digging my MK908 with the ROMs hoabycsr made in the last couple of weeks.

I'm afraid to recommend any Android TV stick to anyone at the moment since it seems even wackier than usual. As if no one knows at all what might ship after they order.

I feel the pain though. I've owned my MK908 for a while now and spent more time not being able to use it like I wanted to than actually being able to.

Hopefully there will be a fix for you guys too soon.

Comment

Originally posted by bakerbarber View Post

I've seen this V3 mentioned a lot here and there.

What is it and when did it start shipping?

Did they change the hardware of the MK908 and not tell anyone?
      I think they are shipping V3 for few weeks. They tweaked the wifi antenna and scaled down the frequency to reduce heating, but the new h/w is not backward compatible with earlier kernal version. None of the existing Finless ROMs are compatible. Look at latest post from geekbuying http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php.../#.UhamHtE630M.
      Right now I'm waiting for hoabycsr's ROM, where he has made really good progress and just testing it on V3 sticks before release. Keeping my fingers crossed/

Comment

v3

i bought 2 of them mk908 v3 and found about five or six roms and best one would be finless 1.6a but despite all those roms i found a common problem data transfer speed is very slow for example i transferred a xbmc apk file from my local nas box and max speed i got was around 600kbps where my cs868 did it with 1.7mbps and my very old gtv220 (aml8726-m1 single core 800mhz 512ram) also gave me 1.7mbps. i downloaded torrent with both boxes one with different rom and max speed was 380kbps on all of them where i should achieve min 550kbps

Comment

AW: UPDATED - NEW - MK908ii Finless ROM 1.4a

You are right, the device is sub par, but you can definitely overcome your problems by
          1. Use an active usb hub to connect all your devices
          2. Use a better power supply
          3. And thats the worst... throtle cpu to 1200mhz to prevent overheating or
          4. Apply a cooling mod

Comment

Originally posted by FadeFx View Post
            You are right, the device is sub par, but you can definitely overcome your problems by
            1. Use an active usb hub to connect all your devices
            2. Use a better power supply
            3. And thats the worst... throtle cpu to 1200mhz to prevent overheating or
            4. Apply a cooling mod

• Slow Wifi
            • Random reboots
            • Random applications shuts down itself
            • Movies stutters every 3 second (can see in fast frames)
            • Mouse pointer stutters
            www.sacvideolari.com www.babatorik.com

Comment

Working...
            X