[Common problem] Color depth seems low + color banding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Common problem] Color depth seems low + color banding

Hello All, I have just bought a MK908 II and installed the 1.5A Finless rom.

Everything is great except for the video quality. Specifically the color depth.
    It is very obvious (at least to me) that there is some critically low color depth on the display.
    You can see color banding in the desktop and in many places with gradients.

So the thing is, Is it a HW limitation? Or is it related to SW, ie, drivers, etc??

It would be great if Bob (Finless) or any other expert could throw some light on this!!!

Many thanks!

It has been shown that the HDMI output from RockChip HDMI is not 32 bits but 24 bits. So yes color depth is not 32 bit and is low compared to high end video equipment. That's just the way it is for <$150 devices.

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Thanks for the info Bob

However it seems to me that 24 bit of color is a lot Taken into account that it is 16 millions colors.
      What I think I've seen in the screen seems a lot less than 24 bits.... However this is an absolutely personal impression.

Regards

Comment

I have 2 MK908V3's one with a tronsmart badge on and one with a beeslink badge on. They are hugely different internally. The beeslink one has MUCH better colour and less banding than the tronsmart one. The beeslink is much louder. The are both running bob's great finless 1.7a ROThe .

Comment

Originally posted by wjaxxx View Post
          Hello All, I have just bought a MK908 II and installed the 1.5A Finless rom.

Everything is great except for the video quality. Specifically the color depth.
          It is very obvious (at least to me) that there is some critically low color depth on the display.
          You can see color banding in the desktop and in many places with gradients.

So the thing is, Is it a HW limitation? Or is it related to SW, ie, drivers, etc??

It would be great if Bob (Finless) or any other expert could throw some light on this!!!

Many thanks!
          Finally someone ask this. I easily noticed it with my Minix Neo G4 and Tronsmart MK 908 V3 using pictures, movies and games. Didnt want to ask as I always get dumbed down for being nitpicky. My guess is that this little devices output the image at 16bit and not at 24bit like Bob said. Of course I do not know yet how to prove this.

Comment

This is the image that I will test as soon as I get home. If it shows color banding the display output is 16bit:

This is how it should look if display is 16bit (which I hope it doesnt):

Comment

Working...
            X