CS968 Custom Firmware -- "GEASS" -- ver. 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CS968 Custom Firmware -- "GEASS" -- ver. 1

Based on official 1017(17-Oct) Rom, which is an International rom. Has't done too much modification, just essential ones.
    Modifications:
    1. /etc/init.d/ user script support.
    2. /etc/sysctl.conf support.
    3. Modded /lib/libmedia.so (for XBMC digital passthrough).
    4. De-bloated.
    5. Fixed a bug on usbfs mounting at boot, now the usbfs can actually work.
    6. Updated to latest busybox(1.21.1).
    7. Fixed adb, now can work perfectly with vanilla android adb tools, without tweaking the vendor id in adb configuration.

General experience is very snappy and stable, probably due to the removing of those bloatwares. Also for tinkerers the init.d and sysctl.conf support would definitely come in handy.

Download:

Please info, does stock firmware or your modded firmware support CIFS functionality, ie. does application "CIFS Manager v1.5a" https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...er.cifsmanager actually works ?

Comment

Originally posted by zzmakii View Post
      Please info, does stock firmware or your modded firmware support CIFS functionality, ie. does application "CIFS Manager v1.5a" https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...er.cifsmanager actually works ?
      Not sure what that app does, but stock kernel should support cifs:
      Code:
      /data/data/berserker.android.apps.sshdroid/home # cat /proc/filesystems
      nodev    sysfs
      nodev    rootfs
      nodev    bdev
      nodev    proc
      nodev    cgroup
      nodev    tmpfs
      nodev    devtmpfs
      nodev    debugfs
      nodev    sockfs
      nodev    usbfs
      nodev    pipefs
      nodev    anon_inodefs
      nodev    devpts
          ext3
          ext2
          ext4
      nodev    ramfs
          vfat
      nodev    cifs
      nodev    fuse
          fuseblk
      nodev    fusectl
      nodev    mtd_inodefs
      Unfortunately no NFS support, which imo, is superior than cifs. But anyway I just use XBMC it has built in support for literally everything.

Comment

"CIFS Manager" is intended for enabling remote network folders as local folders, which enables all other applications without inbuilt network SMB functionality to work with network folders as local folders !
        For example, "QuickPic"
        https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ensw.PicFolder does NOT have inbuilt SMB network manager, but with "CIFS Manager" it can use network folders as local folders.

Please, can you test "CIFS Manager" and report here ?

Comment

Originally posted by zzmakii View Post
          "CIFS Manager" is intended for enabling remote network folders as local folders, which enables all other applications without inbuilt network SMB functionality to work with network folders as local folders !
          For example, "QuickPic"
          https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ensw.PicFolder does NOT have inbuilt SMB network manager, but with "CIFS Manager" it can use network folders as local folders.

Please, can you test "CIFS Manager" and report here ?

Hi, zzmakii, I have tested it, CIFS Manager dose work with this fw. Also, if you need system-wide mount, you can always add a mount command in a init script as an alternative.

Comment

Many thanks for info.
            Because CIFS is very important for my intended use of this device, I just wanted to know for sure before purchasing.
            Will purchase it now and use your modded firmware.

Comment

Re: flashing your firmware

Hi Hillyu, (Noob aleart)
              Thank you for your pioneering work with perhaps the world's first custom rom for the cs968.
              As all things are relatively new and there's very little guides and support for this particular model so far, can you give me a point in the right direction. How do I get your rom on my device. Do I follow instructions for RK3188 http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ery-for-rk3188 then do I follow thishttp://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...H-A-CUSTOM-ROM

Thanks again and in advance
              Shak1e

Comment

Any custom kernel with this rom available yet? Thanks.

Comment

flashing the firmware / custom kernel

@Shak1e

1. get the RK Batch Tool 1.7
                  2. make sure that "Connect to PC is" disabled (
                  Settings -> USB -> Connect to PC)
                  3. make sure that "USB debugging" is activated (Settings -> Developer options -> USB debugging)
                  4. connect the USB-Port next to microSD-Card reader to your PC
                  5. press the reset button for 3 to 5 sec. to activate debug mode
                  6. if you haven't installed the ADB (Android Debug Bridge) driver before, select the drivers which are included with the RK Batch Tool package for the new device
                  7. start the RK Batch Tool and make sure that your device is shown as connected (if your device isn't connected the drivers are not installed correctly)
                  8. open the custom firmware and start flashing by click on "Restore"

@all

I'm also interessed in a custom kernel with some performance tweaks - playback of 1080p and DTS sound with the newest XBMC 13 nightly build is still very stuttering...

Comment

Hi,

I tried to channel a bit the information about this device in one thread:

Maybe we should move some of the activity there in order to make information more accessible...

Comment

... CS968 ...to make a backup of the original firmware...

This equipment (CS968) is very new and I'm finding little information (specific).

Anyway, I installed the Online Nandroid Backup. CS968 is equipment compatible.

I did the backup normally and when I was testing recover the backup...: Online Nandroid Backup asked what kind of recovery (TWRP Recovery or ClockworkMod Recovery) and i am in doubt.

I do not know if the CS968 has some kind of recovery ... and what would be ...

Please, I want to try the firmware CS968 Custom Firmware -- "GEASS" -- ver. 1 or CloudnetGo CR11s firmware, but would like to be able to make a backup of the original firmware, to retrieve it if necessary.

Thank you.

Comment

SOLVED

Originally posted by mega3st View Post
                        @Shak1e

1. get the RK Batch Tool 1.7
                        2. make sure that "Connect to PC is" disabled (
                        Settings -> USB -> Connect to PC)
                        3. make sure that "USB debugging" is activated (Settings -> Developer options -> USB debugging)
                        4. connect the USB-Port next to microSD-Card reader to your PC
                        5. press the reset button for 3 to 5 sec. to activate debug mode
                        6. if you haven't installed the ADB (Android Debug Bridge) driver before, select the drivers which are included with the RK Batch Tool package for the new device
                        7. start the RK Batch Tool and make sure that your device is shown as connected (if your device isn't connected the drivers are not installed correctly)
                        8. open the custom firmware and start flashing by click on "Restore"

@all

I'm also interessed in a custom kernel with some performance tweaks - playback of 1080p and DTS sound with the newest XBMC 13 nightly build is still very stuttering...
                        In my case, i have CWM for recovery.
                        I need make this steps or can i Install zip from sdcard by CWM?
                        My device is CS968 (RK3188).
                        Tks.

SOLVED:
                        As I am still a beginner I'm learning by doing.
                        In fact, flash needs to be accomplished only through rktools. Not CWM.
                        For example, the stock firmware, or custom, replaced the CWM I had installed.
                        After I returned the CWM (Topic - cwm recovery for rk3188 - teacher leolas).
                        Last edited by webipsum; 11-26-2013, 15:46.

Comment

Appear hillyu!

Hi.
                          No one has news about hillyu?
                          We need you to get more updated firmware!
                          Appear hillyu! If appears, already anticipate thanks!

webipsum
                          CS968 - JESURUN

Comment

Agreed

Originally posted by webipsum View Post
                            Hi.
                            No one has news about hillyu?
                            We need you to get more updated firmware!
                            Appear hillyu! If appears, already anticipate thanks!

webipsum
                            CS968 - JESURUN
                            Also wondering what's happening, come back Hillyu, eagerly awaiting updates!

Comment

Maybe if more people call it here, the hillyu appears!

webipsum
                              CS968 - JESURUN

Comment

Working...
                              X