Can someone refer me to a detailed root guide imito QX2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone refer me to a detailed root guide imito QX2

Dear freinds im new to all the android tv stick world,but not new to android, i got my imito QX2 last week from GEEKBUYING, the device is great an well build but the room is not very smooth and the wifi speed is super slow, i was wondering if someone can give me a proper root guide so i will not brick my tv stick, also if anyone running the "Finless ROM 2.0 - KitKat 4.4.2 for AP6210 wifi - BETA" on his imito QX2 i will love to hear a review on the performance, thanks for your help.

I suspect the same method used to root a QX1 will also work for the QX2 since it's based on a RK3188 chipset which is what the root method is made for...

See http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php.../#.UvVURPldVqQ

As usual... use at your own risk and I'd recommend having the stock ROM handy just to play it safe. I have used this on the QX1 I have and it worked well.

Comment

Originally posted by rdsok View Post
      I suspect the same method used to root a QX1 will also work for the QX2 since it's based on a RK3188 chipset which is what the root method is made for...

See http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php.../#.UvVURPldVqQ

As usual... use at your own risk and I'd recommend having the stock ROM handy just to play it safe. I have used this on the QX1 I have and it worked well.
      Thanks for your quick replay, you may have a flash guide also??

Comment

Originally posted by android123 View Post
        Thanks for your quick replay, you may have a flash guide also??
        If you are going to flash a ROM... there is probably no need to also root the one you already have since the flash will overwrite what you currently have.

Most of the ROM's provided here are already rooted and since each can have slightly different steps to flash them... follow the steps they provide for the ROM you select.

Since I can't help directly because the directions you need to follow may differ... I can give a tip or two that I find useful before I flash.

1. Most important, as I mentioned... have the original Stock ROM downloaded and saved. This is used for backup purposes just in case something doesn't work properly in any other step you've taken.

2, I like to pre-install drivers onto my Windows system before I start flashing ROM's. Which drivers you select will depend on which version of Windows you use. I believe there is a tool for WinXP up to Win7 here http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php.../#.UvZhj_ldVqR .... down in the comments area are the drivers only for Windows 8 ( and 8.1 ) but they require manual installation.

Manually installing drivers ( any version of Windows if not using the install tool )... this is a two step driver installation, one for normal mode and one for mask mode.

Download and extract the driver files to a location you know on your computer.

Connect the TV Stick/box to your computer using the OTG USB port with the cable they provided. No other power is required, it will be provided by your PC through the USB port. You will likely need to "point" Windows at the folder you extracted the drivers too when prompted. Once they are installed.. disconnect the device.

Now push the Reset button on the device and re-connect it to the PC. Windows will now detect the second set of drivers you may need. As before you'll probably need to show Windows where the drivers are located. Disconnect when finished.

Now you should have the drivers installed for your device to support whichever steps the ROM you are flashing requires. If you use a different USB port on your computer, Windows will likely re-install the drivers for that port... so it makes it easier/faster if you use the same port each time. Don't use USB 3 ports on the PC and typically the ports on the back of a desktop or tower are more reliable than the front ports.

Other tips...

The USB ports found on the back of many TV's don't usually provide enough power ( amperage ) to operate these devices. In fact, the provided PSU is typically barely up to the task. Most here recommend a 3a-5a PSU. Indications that you may not be getting enough power is intermittant operation of the device, lock ups and/or unexpected reboots.

Wireless KB/Mice which use 2.4Ghz or BT can interfere with your WiFi signal ( if you use it ). Use a USB extension cable to get them away from your WiFi antenna. In fact on the QX1 and QX2... the optional WiFi antenna can really boost your reception which will in turn give you a better/faster WiFi as well. Other possible sources of interference can be cordless telephones, camera's and even fan's you may use in your home. Just moving these away from the device can help with these situations. Placing your device TOO close to your WiFi router is not recommended... keep it at least 6 foot ( 2m ) away so the signal isn't overdriven. Likewise... having the router too far away will also affect the reception and speed.

Comment

Originally posted by rdsok View Post
          If you are going to flash a ROM... there is probably no need to also root the one you already have since the flash will overwrite what you currently have.

Most of the ROM's provided here are already rooted and since each can have slightly different steps to flash them... follow the steps they provide for the ROM you select.

Since I can't help directly because the directions you need to follow may differ... I can give a tip or two that I find useful before I flash.

1. Most important, as I mentioned... have the original Stock ROM downloaded and saved. This is used for backup purposes just in case something doesn't work properly in any other step you've taken.

2, I like to pre-install drivers onto my Windows system before I start flashing ROM's. Which drivers you select will depend on which version of Windows you use. I believe there is a tool for WinXP up to Win7 here http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php.../#.UvZhj_ldVqR .... down in the comments area are the drivers only for Windows 8 ( and 8.1 ) but they require manual installation.

Manually installing drivers ( any version of Windows if not using the install tool )... this is a two step driver installation, one for normal mode and one for mask mode.

Download and extract the driver files to a location you know on your computer.

Connect the TV Stick/box to your computer using the OTG USB port with the cable they provided. No other power is required, it will be provided by your PC through the USB port. You will likely need to "point" Windows at the folder you extracted the drivers too when prompted. Once they are installed.. disconnect the device.

Now push the Reset button on the device and re-connect it to the PC. Windows will now detect the second set of drivers you may need. As before you'll probably need to show Windows where the drivers are located. Disconnect when finished.

Now you should have the drivers installed for your device to support whichever steps the ROM you are flashing requires. If you use a different USB port on your computer, Windows will likely re-install the drivers for that port... so it makes it easier/faster if you use the same port each time. Don't use USB 3 ports on the PC and typically the ports on the back of a desktop or tower are more reliable than the front ports.

Other tips...

The USB ports found on the back of many TV's don't usually provide enough power ( amperage ) to operate these devices. In fact, the provided PSU is typically barely up to the task. Most here recommend a 3a-5a PSU. Indications that you may not be getting enough power is intermittant operation of the device, lock ups and/or unexpected reboots.

Wireless KB/Mice which use 2.4Ghz or BT can interfere with your WiFi signal ( if you use it ). Use a USB extension cable to get them away from your WiFi antenna. In fact on the QX1 and QX2... the optional WiFi antenna can really boost your reception which will in turn give you a better/faster WiFi as well. Other possible sources of interference can be cordless telephones, camera's and even fan's you may use in your home. Just moving these away from the device can help with these situations. Placing your device TOO close to your WiFi router is not recommended... keep it at least 6 foot ( 2m ) away so the signal isn't overdriven. Likewise... having the router too far away will also affect the reception and speed.
          Thanks a lot for your tips and your Willing to help, I will do the following things and I hope to be more satisfied with my imito QX2!

Comment

Just got one of these since giving my son my mx2.
            I will read as regard how-to in order to install newer firmware.
            Can i ask any pos or neg differences compared to MX2?
            Last edited by Wingchundub; 05-31-2014, 00:16.

Comment

Working...
            X