Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please could I get some Root Advice on new Q7S (rk3188 with camera)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please could I get some Root Advice on new Q7S (rk3188 with camera)

The stock rom it came with was named

rk3188-eng 4.4.2 KOT49H eng.yangfeihu.20140723.152525 test-keys

Click image for larger version

Name:	XT-Q7S-V02.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	439638

It seems pretty great, was loaded with 13.0 XBMC which I am familiar with from my RaspBMC days so we got off to a great start, Then I wanted to set up my PIA VPN and realized it did not have TUN installed and was also not rooted so couldn't manually run TUN.KO.

No problem I thought (I had managed to root a friends rk3188 4.2.2 no camera a few weeks previous) Followed the same procedure, used the same laptop that had moborobo on it with the USB drivers, Plugged it in, ran the TPSparkeyRoot re-booted 3 times, copied the SU files over and away to go, or so I thought.

tried to run TUN.KO had some strange messages ranging from No match found to Downloaded TUN Module incompatible - Checked the database its definitely there, eventually checked ROOT to find in fact the device still wasn't rooted.

Early on in the proceedings I'm sure i did get one app to report it was rooted, but i'm questioning my own sanity now

I'm Stuck, I normally read and try and work it out myself but there seems little or nothing on the device or the rom or the problems i'm encountering.

Thanks in advance

Marc

To root try this
    Kingo Root is #1 one click root solution so easy to use. Take your android phone by your control! You will love this feeling - the freedom.
    RK3288 Devices
    - Overview BOX (LINK !)
    - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
    UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

It worked.. mostly :-)

No_Spam_for_me,

Thank you so much for the file link, initially Kingoapp said it was already rooted, so I tried to un root, which gave me an error, so then I tried to re-root which seemed to work fine.

Installed TUN.KO selected my filters, downloaded the TUN module and this part seemed fine :-) so far so good.

Then went to install PIA VPN and launched it only for the box now to reboot when it is applying the new VPN Routes. I installed HOLA just to make sure it was not a PIA problem and the same thing happens with that as you accept the VPN message in HOLA so it reboots.

I tried deselecting filters in TUN just in case it was loading the wrong TUN module but i'm getting no where.... So close yet so far

So I think I am now rooted but have a TUN problem, does that sound about right?

Thanks in advance

Marc

Comment

New firmware Q7S_10_16 dated 16/10 but cannot get connected on RK Batch tool 1.7

I'm still getting nowhere fast, and really struggling to find anything on the newish Q7S (camera) device, i almost feel like a guinea pig :-) but here's the thing, I emailed the supplier and explained the problems about TUN and VPN they then emailed me back the latest firmware which is from 16/10, this took me 2 days to download as the 162.com site i was pulling it from kept dropping the connection.

But I now have the firmware and attempted to follow their instructions but they seem like they are for a different model i.e. the av socket that they ask me to stick a pen into is in a different location (and also doesn't respond to a pen being stuck in!) so I cannot get into the recovery mode to update the firmware.

I have also tried RK Batch Tool 1.7 but even after installing the drivers (which windows recognises as a USB drive) I hook it up to the tool but its does not show up. I've emailed the supplier again for clarification, but if anyone has some ideas i'd gladly try them.

Originally posted by mbladen View Post
        No_Spam_for_me,

Thank you so much for the file link, initially Kingoapp said it was already rooted, so I tried to un root, which gave me an error, so then I tried to re-root which seemed to work fine.

Installed TUN.KO selected my filters, downloaded the TUN module and this part seemed fine :-) so far so good.

Then went to install PIA VPN and launched it only for the box now to reboot when it is applying the new VPN Routes. I installed HOLA just to make sure it was not a PIA problem and the same thing happens with that as you accept the VPN message in HOLA so it reboots.

I tried deselecting filters in TUN just in case it was loading the wrong TUN module but i'm getting no where.... So close yet so far

So I think I am now rooted but have a TUN problem, does that sound about right?

Thanks in advance

Marc

Comment

If when you connect the device to your PC, it sees it as a USB drive, I think it is safe to say you're not in bootloader mode (or whatever the correct terminology is).
          Using the AV socket to access a hidden switch is more common with the MX2 type models.

Take a look through some of the sockets/switches mentioned here first - https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/how-to-a...recovery-menu/ - don't worry about the model names, just check there isn't anything obviously similar on your device.

If that doesn't help, and you can't find any switches on the top of your device's PCB that would be accessible without remove the case, VERY carefully lift the PCB up (watch out for any short wires that could snap), and check the bottom of the PCB. As an example, the "X7" found on that page I linked to would have it's reset switch on the bottom of the PCB, as you can tell from the plastic tab in the picture.

Comment

If I have a look at the pcb-picture I can't identify the reset button behind the / at the end of the a/v hole... normaly the reset button is under the device at this kind of box / case / pcb...

If they aren't able to give the right howto than I think you should be very carefully with the downloaded rom (because I think so too that's not the right one) and they don't know what they talk about!

BTW: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?1050-Reboot-App
            RK3288 Devices
            - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
            Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
            Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
            Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

no_spam_for_me,

You have a mind of great information, I have installed the Reboot app, and have tried to boot to Recovery it reports an error with "No Command" and a picture of the droid on its back :-)

I think you are right about the new image, I have asked for new instructions and confirmation that a) this is indeed for my Q7S (even though thats in the title of the firmware) and also if the new firmware will solve my TUN/VPN problem of re-booting as I wouldnt need a new firmware if I could get over this problem.

I read a post that most TUN/VPN problems have gone away in KitKat but I'm not finding this. Do you have any Ideas as to why it may be rebooting when I am running any VPN Client.

Thanks

Your right, there is a reset button under neath the box, but I cannot get into the reset system

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
              If I have a look at the pcb-picture I can't identify the reset button behind the / at the end of the a/v hole... normaly the reset button is under the device at this kind of box / case / pcb...

If they aren't able to give the right howto than I think you should be very carefully with the downloaded rom (because I think so too that's not the right one) and they don't know what they talk about!

BTW: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?1050-Reboot-App

Comment

I found out how to reset my device manually :-)

Hold the reset key underneath, plug in the power then press the power button on the front..... unfortunately it gives me the same as the reboot app which is "No command" then eventually reboots into normal mode.

Any Ideas?

Comment

I don't really understand what happens (also because of the 'No command') but maybe something's wrong with the recovery (image/partition) at the device? Or do you have a SD card in which contains something which irritates the recovery or ...?????
                  RK3288 Devices
                  - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

SilentlyScreaming,

Its looks like the x7 device, I have managed to follow the recovery instructions from the site and after approx 10 seconds after pressing the power button get an Droid liying down with an exclamation mark in a red triangle.

Originally posted by SilentlyScreaming View Post
                    If when you connect the device to your PC, it sees it as a USB drive, I think it is safe to say you're not in bootloader mode (or whatever the correct terminology is).
                    Using the AV socket to access a hidden switch is more common with the MX2 type models.

Take a look through some of the sockets/switches mentioned here first - https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/how-to-a...recovery-menu/ - don't worry about the model names, just check there isn't anything obviously similar on your device.

If that doesn't help, and you can't find any switches on the top of your device's PCB that would be accessible without remove the case, VERY carefully lift the PCB up (watch out for any short wires that could snap), and check the bottom of the PCB. As an example, the "X7" found on that page I linked to would have it's reset switch on the bottom of the PCB, as you can tell from the plastic tab in the picture.

Comment

VPN solution for this new Camera equiped Q7S rk3188 quad core

I know this thread has sort of gone off topic a little as using Kingoapp solved my original problem with rooting this device.

The only reason why I needed it rooting was to install TUN.

The only reason why I needed TUN was to use an OPENVPN (Private Internet Access) client (also Hola failed)

Well I couldn't get this to work but an hour with the PIA Help desk and they guided me through using the L2TP/IPSEC which is supported natively through....

Settings...VPN (under Wireless and Networks - you may need to click on more first for this option to show) then complete the VPN Settings according to your provider (PIA in my case) and hey presto

Now I know that OPENVPN is better than L2TP but not enough for it to give me sleepless nights which is what this problem has caused me :-)

I hope this helps someone else in the future, as no_spam_for_me and SilentlyScreeming have done for me, thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by mbladen View Post
                        SilentlyScreaming,

Its looks like the x7 device, I have managed to follow the recovery instructions from the site and after approx 10 seconds after pressing the power button get an Droid liying down with an exclamation mark in a red triangle.
                        I have the same issue but after that what you do. I have a disk with the firmware img update_Q7S_7_23 when I put it inside there is no responce the android keep sleeping

Comment

Working...
                        X