Will the x7 play files stored on a MyCloud NAS sever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the x7 play files stored on a MyCloud NAS sever

I have a 4tb MyCloud NAS server. I want to be able to play HD video files stored on it to my TV through a Motorola gateway. I have been using a Sony Bluray player, which only likes files on my laptop and now won't even play those anymore. I think the Sony is done for and want to replace it with something that will play nice with my NAS server when the laptop is off. All of the options I have looked at seem to stream from the internet fine, but there is much discussion about playing stored digital content, including, worryingly, that 4 tb might be too big a drive for media players to handle. The Neo x7 seems to be a good option but I just can't find a simple answer to what it will do for me. There is a lot of technical information that goes over my head so please keep it simple (although just a yes or no will suffice, that might be a bit too simple ;^P).

the problem is to find a app that have no problems with greater HDDs and with many many files. The X7 have no problem and works better than before with RamExpander from Rhoesoft (expand the RAM from 2 to 4 GB ). Films will be played only with 720p (original ROM) and highscaled 1080p (CustomROM).

rlemke | www.humaniac.wordpress.com | www.minix7.wordpress.com

Comment

The X7 plays nicely with all sort of network shares. You can use nfs, cifs or smb shares but performance-wise nfs is surely the best option.
      Your NAS probably supports all the above options, so in the end it is a matter of configuring (which is not hard).
      As for HD content the question is you network speed. Flaky WIFI access may not suffice for HD, cable bound ethernet will surely do.

Comment

Originally posted by robertlemke4 View Post
        the problem is to find a app that have no problems with greater HDDs and with many many files. The X7 have no problem and works better than before with RamExpander from Rhoesoft (expand the RAM from 2 to 4 GB ). Films will be played only with 720p (original ROM) and highscaled 1080p (CustomROM).

rlemke | www.humaniac.wordpress.com | www.minix7.wordpress.com
        Honestly, I would really stay clear of any swap/vmem stuff. It does not increase your RAM it just provides a swap file. I'm using linux and linux like OS for more than 10 years now, and the worst thing you can have is an OS that swaps.
        The custom ROMs/XBMC here do a fine job with 1080p so no need for this high priced crap that will just suggest more RAM while your system comes to a crawling halt.

Comment

Yes

I have the 3TB MyCloud. It doesn't matter if it's 4TB.

It looks like any other share from the X7. They work very well together with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by bakerbarber View Post
            Yes

I have the 3TB MyCloud. It doesn't matter if it's 4TB.

It looks like any other share from the X7. They work very well together with each other.
            Thanks, that is exactly the answer I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
            X