Minix Neo X7 RK3188 in October 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minix Neo X7 RK3188 in October 2019

I just pulled this off my shelf have not used it for years it it just a boat anchor of is there some firmware I should try? thank you in advance

Wasser 3.0.6 is pretty good.
    NVidia Shield TV 2015 16 GB || Stock
    NVidia Shield TV 2017 16 GB || Stock
    Buy me a beer?

Comment

I took my X7 out of the mothballs the other day to serve as the mediacenter in our spare bedroom. To complement it, I bought a 40" FullHD TV second hand through a domestic auction marketplace and a "Nobsound NS-10G Pro" amp plus a pair of JBL Control One speakers cheaply from Amazon.

The box is now happily running Wasser-3.0.6 with the overclocked kernel and a Mali-patched boot image. The media software I have installed includes FTMC, Netflix, Spotify, TuneIn Radio, SoundCloud, VLC, a few domestic streaming services and Viper4Android. All our local media is stored in a NAS which I access with either FTMC or the MiXplorer file explorer. I'm using a Logitech K400+ wireless keyboard/touchpad combo to control the device.

All in all, the X7 still does everything I need it to in its current environment. It does 1080p playback from .mkv rips without breaking a sweat. Everything else I throw at it is basically peanuts performance requirements -wise.
      Last edited by Molle; 05-05-2020, 18:19.
      Buy me a beer?

Comment

Hi Molle,

Please can you confirm what version of Netflix app you have running on minix X7 with wasser-3.0.6? If you have download link, please provide it.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BTR11 View Post
          Please can you confirm what version of Netflix app you have running on minix X7 with wasser-3.0.6? If you have download link, please provide it.
          I'm using version 4.16.3 build 15172 which I downloaded from apkmirror.
          Buy me a beer?

Comment

Originally posted by Molle View Post
            I'm using version 4.16.3 build 15172 which I downloaded from apkmirror.
            Thanks Molle, I will test it.

PS: Sorry for bother you again Molle with this matter; to run properly that version of netflix apk do you have to hide the root rights?
            In fact that won´t be a problem with xposed and rootcloak module, but the difficult is that minix box it´s not with me, I had given to a friend as a gift, and I think I forget to install the xposed on that device, and never had ran netflix before on the minix with wasser 3.0.6. I´m trying to help him remotely; I appreciate your help.
            Last edited by BTR11; 06-04-2020, 15:49.

Comment

Sorry for bother you again Molle with this matter; to run properly that version of netflix apk do you have to hide the root rights? In fact that won´t be a problem with xposed and rootcloak module, but the difficult is that minix box it´s not with me, I had given to a friend as a gift, and I think I forget to install the xposed on that device, and never had ran netflix before on the minix with wasser 3.0.6. I´m trying to help him remotely; I appreciate your help.
              I'm not hiding root rights; in fact I don't recall ever using xposed on my X7.
              Buy me a beer?

Comment

Ok, Thanks, so it´s not required. Anyway, I had succeed to guide remotely to install xposed and rootcloak, and hide the root for netflix app, but this is still not working; reports connection problem (error 0013).

When I read again your post from 04-28-2020, the only thing I can find different with my box, it´s that you had installed the Mali-patched boot image, may be this can produce a positive effect with this app; hopefully, I will try it. This is the only problem that still We have with the Neo X7 with wasser 3.0.6; all of the other streaming apps are working fine, prime video and even HBO go (hidding root). If not, I can blame the ISP, I don´t know.

Comment

When I read again your post from 04-28-2020, the only thing I can find different with my box, it´s that you had installed the Mali-patched boot image, may be this can produce a positive effect with this app; hopefully, I will try it.
                  I don't think the boot image has anything to do with Netflix problems. The patch just changes the available clock rates in the mali.ko kernel module to align them with the overclocked kernel which enables the extra 798 MHz frequency for the GPU.
                  Buy me a beer?

Comment

Originally posted by Molle View Post
                    I don't think the boot image has anything to do with Netflix problems. The patch just changes the available clock rates in the mali.ko kernel module to align them with the overclocked kernel which enables the extra 798 MHz frequency for the GPU.
                    Ok Molle, now I remember a little about your mali-patch, I had used before, around 3 years ago; but if the overclocked kernel it's been used now, the more convenient is install your mali-patch for wasser 3.0.6?. I have looking for your patch, but I can not find it; pls can you share it?
                    So, I think definitely then that the problem with netflix it's coming from some kind of filtering that ISP is applying.

Comment

I have looking for your patch, but I can not find it; pls can you share it?
                      I don't have it shared but the DIY tutorial can be found here.
                      Buy me a beer?

Comment

Well, well. The good ol' Minix refused to power up again after I had to shut it down. I purchased a second NVidia Shield at a domestic auction place to replace it.

R.I.P. Minix X7 (2013 - 2020).
                        Buy me a beer?

Comment

Working...
                        X