Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for a total noob please chaps - MK908

Hi all,

I'm a lifelong pc user (yes, I know!) and recently realised that I'm using about 800w to watch Netflix on my HTPC when I could be using a quarter of that using a droid stick (inc the TV). I've seen them flying around for a while so did a little research and bought this:

http://www.****.co.uk/itm/3009510375...84.m1423.l2649

arrived yesterday, nice quick delivery = happy boy. Fired her up and started playing. Not that impressed by colour reproduction on HD files but generally okay on streaming, although it seems that droid tab apps (Netflix, iPlayer) are lower resolution than my iPad Mini.

Played further and started trying to watch a 1080p MKV on VLC. Dropping frames like crazy, and for an HD purist like me that's unacceptable. Don't get me wrong, I know its only 50 quid, but I bought one of the first crappy android tabs a few years back and that could play 1080p smooth like butter. Still can. So hoped a few years on all would be gravy in that dept.

anyway. I fired up Antutu and tested, came in at 16000. Not special as have seen 18000 posted round here. Then started up CPU-Z and checked the clock speed... 1.42 GHz. Checked the chip, CPU-Z says Arm Cortex A9, quad, r3p0, 312MHz to 1.42 GHz.

Before I get my panties in a bunch and start spitting brimstone at the **** seller, thought I'd try and see whether I'm missing something. Like I said, I'm a total noob to sticks and Arm. Always been an AMD man so haven't a clue. Here the specs:

ARM Cortex A9, quad, r3p0
    Mali-400 MP
    MK908 (rk31sdk)
    Manufacturer Rockchip
    Board rk31sdk
    Hardware rk30board
    kernel arch armv71
    kernel ver 3.0.36+ (eng.zgq.20131104.134233)

so am I missing a trick here? Should I expect 1.8 GHz from this as advertised? Or would I have to root it to achieve that? Or should I take a drive and kick the guys teeth in?

cheers all, apologies if I missed something glaringly obvious Please take glee in pointing it out, as long as I can watch HD on this thing and get the speed I paid for, have at it

Originally posted by TheMightyRod View Post
    Hi all,
    so am I missing a trick here? Should I expect 1.8 GHz from this as advertised? Or would I have to root it to achieve that? Or should I take a drive and kick the guys teeth in?
    you wanna kick someone teeth for 50 quid? not worth it man!

the problem is the app man, not the device. i tried HD streaming online and the quality was awesome.

Comment

Working...
    X