Cooling fan for MK902 or any Android TV box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooling fan for MK902 or any Android TV box

MK902 as many android TV boxes today can deliver allot of power, as well as allot of heath. The SOC can tolerate that heat without problem, but some of other parts around the SOC, will suffer, especially that most kernels around are overclocked.
    This is how you make your own cooling system with few items you might have around the house or for very little. All we need is a 3 pin Fan extension, a USB cable, a 3pin fan (5V or 12V) some electrical tape and solder.
    1. Take the USB cable and cut it to the desired length, then do the same with the 3pin extension. Your USB cable should look like in the image bellow, with 4 wires: Red or Orange, White, Green and Black. Cut away the white and green, we only need the Red (+) and Black (-)

2. From the 3 pin extension we need the end with the socket with the pins, take it and cut away the yellow wire, we only need the Red (+) and Black (-). Solder the red wire from the usb cable to the red wire of the 3pin extension socket.

3. You now need a fan, I chose a 80x80x25 Noctua NF-R8 fan, its 12V but will work on 5V as well but instead of 1800RPM you get about 800RPM, enough for what we need. This fan it’s a 7dB fan so super quiet. With the fan you also get 4 rubber screws that you can use as feet, and the 3 pin extension.
    So we have the fan mine is 25mm tall, you can get them in 15mm and black. We now have to rise the fan at least 10mm, so I used on each side kitchen cabinet stoppers.

4. Position the fan with the arrow pointing up, and tide the cable. Plug the cable on any usb port and that’s it. In my case I plugged the USB connector in the TV so that when I turn off the TV will turn off the fan.

You can get a fan with an external sensor, you can a relay and a sensor to control the fan, you can get a manual controller, you can also put a filter, it’s up to you, you get the idea.

Thanks for watching.
    For all your computer problems...
    http://www.salvamipc.es

mine pretty much same only i found neon blue fan lmao retro look.
    Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

And maybe you should use a Y-cable (extension cord) like this
      http://www.****.de/itm/140750429441?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
      to use the USB-port also for other things...
      RK3288 Devices
      - Overview BOX (LINK !)
      - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
      UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
      Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
      Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
      Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Hi am wondering if i can connect the fan directly to main switch?or even to the box power adapter?

Edit- i managed to connect the fan to an old power adapter (12v) n its running smoothly..my box is cooler then ever
        Last edited by Eddmecha; 06-04-2016, 14:44.

Comment

Thanks for the great descriptive post, just a quick question do you position the fan so that it blows air into the box or the other way so that it extracts it. My fan has no arrows like yours. thanks in advance

Comment

I dd something similar, except soldered the USB cable directly to the fan http://imgur.com/a/JmvjG

Comment

Ok

Comment

How do you solve fan always spinning when box is turned off?

Comment

Working...
                X