Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MK809III - Adding an external antenna

Hello,

I currently have a MK809III and I really hate the current WiFi reception I have on it.

Even after opening the casing and changing the antenna location the signal is extremely weak. I've lately simply stuck the antenna outside of the casing and that does get me an excellent reception... If I aim the antenna perfectly towards my router...

I was lately thinking on probably replacing the current antenna (cable and sheet) for another antenna. Maybe one that I could easily move and even remove and screw a different one on it at will.

Something in the style of a router like antenna with FME or a SMA connectors that I would solder directly on instead.

Does anyone have any reason why I should not?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Shayolghul; 09-14-2014, 03:34.

Well, since no one replied I figured there was probably no reasons why not to try... So it is done.

Opened case. Cut antenna cable, soldered unto an FME receptor that I stuck to the other side of the casing on the little holes....

Tested...

Works perfectly!

Comment

Re: MK809III - Adding an external antenna

Comment

Seems to work perfectly fine (yes, i know my connection is slow but my other half is currently streaming her favorite TV shows).

I already watched a 3 gig streaming movie using Serviio on a different PC. No lag at all and no audio stuttering.

All I need to do now is actually test my PC to Mk809III top WiFi connection speeds... But too lazy right now. :-)

Comment

Very nice! Did you disconnect the wire from the antenna sheet and solder it to the socket?

Comment

I did yes. I wanted to disconnect the wire straight from board and instead use the one that came with socket but my soldering tool was a little to thick for such precision work.

So instead I cut the wire midway and soldered it to the socket antenna connector.

I also added a little sheet inside as an insulator between the wire/socket connection and the board.

I'll add a picture of the inside connection later today so you can get a better idea.

Comment

I want to do this, just like you.
              Can you post a detailed picture?

Comment

Working...
              X