Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally a solid KitKat rom and kernel combo for the UT1

Hi all

Just wanted to share with you all a setup for the Ugoos UT1/Kaiboer F4 that seems to (finally) work really well.

Up until now I had the problem that any Jellybean based rom I installed on the UT1 was as good as useless for playing video. Stuttery and laggy with Netfix in particular unwatchable.

KitKat roms, on the other hand (such as wasser's) played videos beautifully - smooth as silk. Unfortunately the unit would crash and reboot randomly and was unusable as a result.

Anyway, I installed the Quickshot V3.1 KitKat rom from the minix forum, and installed the version 4.2.5 kernel from here (via this forum thread - it is the RTL8188 kernel).

So far so good - smooth playback, everything seems to be working as it should and ran for about 8 hours straight with NO LOCKUPS! The best I could get out of it previously was about 30 minutes, sometimes it would freeze as soon as the launcher appeared after booting up...

(NOTE: The kernel that installs by default with the QS3 rom will boot the UT1 ok but wifi doesn't work.)

So if, like me you've been struggling to get this thing to work properly, give this combo a try. Just remember that if you are coming from Jellybean you need to update to the correct booltloader to install a kitkat rom. Not doing so may brick your device.

Cheers

SLHQC

the Kitkat roms on Ugoos site are not working correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by uGoos USA View Post
      the Kitkat roms on Ugoos site are not working correctly?
      Hi

Which ROMs are you referring to? I did try the allminipc one from here: http://ugoos.net/downloads, but unfortunately it suffered from the freezing problem. It would also never keep the screen scale setting right and from memory multichannel passthrough would not work unless I toggled the sound settings on each reboot.

Are there others?

Cheers

SLHQC

Comment

Originally posted by SLHQC View Post

So if, like me you've been struggling to get this thing to work properly, give this combo a try.

Cheers

SLHQC
        Are you still happy with it? I've been using the Allminipc release, but frankly it's not the best. On the other hand I don't want to go to the trouble of setting everything up again if this solution isn't a whole lot better!

Thanks!

Comment

Hi all

(NOTE: The kernel that installs by default with the QS3 rom will boot the UT1 ok but wifi doesn't work.)

SLHQC
          So if I install the above combo on my UT1 my WIFI will work?

Also, Did you have any crashes since installing? ad does the infrared remote work
          ?

Comment

Originally posted by detrimental_dude View Post
            So if I install the above combo on my UT1 my WIFI will work?

Also, Did you have any crashes since installing? ad does the infrared remote work
            ?
            Yes, your wifi will work as long as you install the kernel linked above. And the infrared remote does work - I prefer to use a mouse and the rkremote app on my tablet, though.

For what its worth I had the same feeling - wasn't too keen to have to set up yet another installation but the unit was pretty-much useless as it was.

I haven't had a single crash since installing this combo - ymmv. I found that with the wasser kitkat roms I would get crashes all the time, partucularly playing video. However, many other people seem happy with it so maybe there is some inconsistency with the chips in these devices ability to handle overclocking and the Quickshot is not as overclocked as wasser's, perhaps? In any case, I'm not concerned about overclocking as long as the unit does what I need of it - play netflix and the occasional streaming video over wifi...

My experience is summerised as follows:
            • Jellybean roms - stable but horrible, stuttery video playback
            • Kitkat roms from allminipc and wasser - smooth video playback but chronic instability and crashes (among other annoyances).
            • This combo - smooth video playback, stability, serenity.

Perhaps you can install TWRP recovery and backup your current rom before trying this out (search the forums) - the Quickshot rom installs TWRP by default, btw.

Good luck and let us know if you try this setup and it sticks. This thread has had a lot of views and no replies until now...maybe that's a sign that people have tried it and it worked...

Comment

My Wasser firmware crashes mostly while playing 1080 movies.

Also after installing CPUz, it says that i have the RK3066 chip.
              However the **** site says that it has a RK3118 chip.

I'll try this combo this week and let you know over here.
              Thanks for the help!

Comment

Hi all

Just wanted to share with you all a setup for the Ugoos UT1/Kaiboer F4 that seems to (finally) work really well.

Up until now I had the problem that any Jellybean based rom I installed on the UT1 was as good as useless for playing video. Stuttery and laggy with Netfix in particular unwatchable.

KitKat roms, on the other hand (such as wasser's) played videos beautifully - smooth as silk. Unfortunately the unit would crash and reboot randomly and was unusable as a result.

Anyway, I installed the Quickshot V3.1 KitKat rom from the minix forum, and installed the version 4.2.5 kernel from here (via this forum thread - it is the RTL8188 kernel).

So far so good - smooth playback, everything seems to be working as it should and ran for about 8 hours straight with NO LOCKUPS! The best I could get out of it previously was about 30 minutes, sometimes it would freeze as soon as the launcher appeared after booting up...

So if, like me you've been struggling to get this thing to work properly, give this combo a try. Just remember that if you are coming from Jellybean you need to update to the correct booltloader to install a kitkat rom. Not doing so may brick your device.

Cheers

SLHQC
                Hi,

The kernel zip contains 4 img files.
                Which one do I use and how do I flash it?

Comment

Hi,

The kernel zip contains 4 img files.
                  Which one do I use and how do I flash it?
                  Use this one if you want 1080p (HD) output: kernel_KK_v4.2.5_TVSTICK_RTL8188_HD.img

The one with SD at the end opf the file name is 720p.

Flash it using the finless RKAndroidTool.exe - there are instructions somewhere in these forums on how to use it if you haven't already, can't remember where. You need to put the UT1 into flash mode the same way as you would when installing a complete rom (Switch on while holding down the reset switch). Do the following once you get the "Found RKAndroid Rock usb" message:
                  • Be sure to select only the checkbox for "kernel" on the left. Leave all the other options unchecked.
                  • Click on the blank field on the far right of the "Kernel" line in the section below the three dots (...)
                  • Navigate to the "kernel_KK_v4.2.5_TVSTICK_RTL8188_HD.img" file on your computer and select it.
                  • Click image for larger version

Name:	rkandroidtool.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	435133
                  • Verify that it is selected on the "kernel" line.
                  • Click "Run"
                  • The kernel will flash and your device should reboot.

Good luck!

Comment

Use this one if you want 1080p (HD) output: kernel_KK_v4.2.5_TVSTICK_RTL8188_HD.img

The one with SD at the end opf the file name is 720p.

Flash it using the finless RKAndroidTool.exe - there are instructions somewhere in these forums on how to use it if you haven't already, can't remember where. You need to put the UT1 into flash mode the same way as you would when installing a complete rom (Switch on while holding down the reset switch). Do the following once you get the "Found RKAndroid Rock usb" message:
                    • Be sure to select only the checkbox for "kernel" on the left. Leave all the other options unchecked.
                    • Click on the blank field on the far right of the "Kernel" line in the section below the three dots (...)
                    • Navigate to the "kernel_KK_v4.2.5_TVSTICK_RTL8188_HD.img" file on your computer and select it.
                    • [ATTACH=CONFIG]8579[/ATTACH]
                    • Verify that it is selected on the "kernel" line.
                    • Click "Run"
                    • The kernel will flash and your device should reboot.

Good luck!
                    Thank you for all that info!

I did manage to install it and run it but could not get the IR remote to work

With regards to stability...it ran for 30 min at a go without crashing. I'll use it more this week and let you know how stable it is.

Would u happen to have a fix for the IR remote?

And why couldn't I install the TV box kernel instead of the TV stick since the UT1 is a box?

Comment

Thank you for all that info!

I did manage to install it and run it but could not get the IR remote to work

With regards to stability...it ran for 30 min at a go without crashing. I'll use it more this week and let you know how stable it is.

Would u happen to have a fix for the IR remote?

And why couldn't I install the TV box kernel instead of the TV stick since the UT1 is a box?
                      Ha! You know I never realised that I cut and pasted the "TVSTICK" and not "TVBOX" filename in my instructions to you - I was only paying attention to the "4.2.5" (because it's the latest version) and "HD" bits. I think the critical thing about the kernel is that it is compatible with the device's wifi chip.

And it looks like I have the "Stick" version installed on my UT1 (although it was a month ago) and it's working well so there you have it. I'll have to check later and report back.

In any case the remote does work on mine, but I only normally only use it to switch the unit off and on (which I can confirm definitely works) so i'll have to double check if the other functions work.
                      I'm not tech-savvy enough to offer a fix for the remote but I do recall seeing discussions on these forums about patches or the like that can be applied to make the remote work.

I guess you could try installing the "TVBOX" version and see if that works better... I might have to do the same!

Comment

So it turns out that the only function working on my remote is the power button, but I never realised because I don't use it other than to switch the unit on and off.

Also it looks like I installed the "stick" kernel inadvertently. When the files came up in my explorer window they were showing up as:
                        kernel_KK_v4.2.2_...188_SD.img
                        kernel_KK_v4.2.2_...188_HD.img
                        kernel_KK_v4.2.5_...188_SD.img
                        kernel_KK_v4.2.5_...188_HD.img

I hadn't expanded the view to see the whole file name and didn't realise that there were two different types - just picked the "kernel_KK_v4.2.5_...188_HD.img" file becasue it was "the latest".

I'll install the TVBOX version and see if that fixes the remote issue.

Comment

So it turns out that the only function working on my remote is the power button, but I never realised because I don't use it other than to switch the unit on and off.

Also it looks like I installed the "stick" kernel inadvertently. When the files came up in my explorer window they were showing up as:
                          kernel_KK_v4.2.2_...188_SD.img
                          kernel_KK_v4.2.2_...188_HD.img
                          kernel_KK_v4.2.5_...188_SD.img
                          kernel_KK_v4.2.5_...188_HD.img

I hadn't expanded the view to see the whole file name and didn't realise that there were two different types - just picked the "kernel_KK_v4.2.5_...188_HD.img" file becasue it was "the latest".

I'll install the TVBOX version and see if that fixes the remote issue.

I tried the TVbox version and it didn't do any thing to fix the remote issue.
                          What I realized was that the remote was related to the kernel and hence only a kernel built for the UT1 would make it work. The Minix x7 boxes have their own remote.

Wassers kernels would have worked great but I could only find the older ones which had remote issues.
                          The new kernel which was fixed (1.0.1) was embedded in the img file which I don't know how to extract.

Hence I ended up using the kernel made by the allminipc team (non-T version) which made the remote work like a charm. I tested a couple of movies which also played smoothly.

I'll use this kernel for the rest of the week and see if it has any issues.

Comment

I tried the TVbox version and it didn't do any thing to fix the remote issue.
                            What I realized was that the remote was related to the kernel and hence only a kernel built for the UT1 would make it work. The Minix x7 boxes have their own remote.

Wassers kernels would have worked great but I could only find the older ones which had remote issues.
                            The new kernel which was fixed (1.0.1) was embedded in the img file which I don't know how to extract.

Hence I ended up using the kernel made by the allminipc team (non-T version) which made the remote work like a charm. I tested a couple of movies which also played smoothly.

I'll use this kernel for the rest of the week and see if it has any issues.
                            Hi,

I Tested the above kernel (all mini pc) with thye above rom. The remote works well. the issues i've come across with this combo are.
                            In XBMC the sound pauses for a few seconds during movie paly back evey now and then. The video is smooth...only problem with the sound.
                            I guess I need to search for another kernel that is built for the UT1 which has the remote working.

Any ideas where I can find one?

Comment

I've been trying to flash this rom for a couple of days now, because I was having the same issues with some of the other roms. With the stock QS3, I don't have any Wi-Fi support, and the system bricks when I flash any of the the kernels. (I even gave the TVSTICK's a try) On a couple of the other rom combos, there was a T and non-T version. I'm not sure if that may be issue with my Ugoos, or if anyone else is having issues with this QS3 rom in regards to Wi-Fi.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X