The latest news about RK3288

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
    According to somebody over at the Arm community site, it seems that on the Cortex-A17 it is quite possible to use it on its own or in a big.LITTLE system, so it may possibly a marketing thing that has no real differentiation.

...yup.

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
      OK, but if you read ARM-page it looks like a MUST to have at the A17...
      From Arm's A17 webpage performance tab:

Example Topologies:
      • 1.5GHz – 2GHz Dual-core Cortex-A17 processor and Dual-core Cortex-A7 big.LITTLE
      • 1.0 – 2.0 GHz Quad, Dual and Single-core Cortex-A17 solutions

Everywhere it shows RK3288 is a 28nm chip. Shomari where did you get the info that the RK3288 is built on 40nm process?

Comment

Originally posted by Haba View Post

Example Topologies:
        • 1.5GHz – 2GHz Dual-core Cortex-A17 processor and Dual-core Cortex-A7 big.LITTLE

Everywhere it shows RK3288 is a 28nm chip. Shomari where did you get the info that the RK3288 is built on 40nm process?
        Well, from all the (admittedly questionable) CPU info apps I've tried.

Even as I posted I was thinking it doesn't seem possible that it can be built using 40nm. No way the processors would run at the speeds they're running at current voltage levels.

edit: ...also, why would they go from 28nm to 40nm after releasing the RK3188 on 28nm. Doesn't make sense but who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Javimetal View Post
          He said it is A17, just wants to ask ARM about why that "ARMv7 Cortex-A12" is there.
          I did not pick up on this right away that we also have a Rockchip rep state that the RK3288 is an A17 core along with all the documentation. Cpu detection apps may be out of date and the bits they are reading off the chips may have not been updated properly since Rockchip got into trouble promoting the A17 before they were legally allowed. The drivers may be nearly the same since the cores are nearly the same. I would think Rockchip would get into legal issues if they are making false claims. Why would they risk legal issues? Arm/Rockchip should explain themselves for everyone!

Comment

The fact that Arm licence their own technology to companies like Rockchip and they must be well aware of how things are being advertised by RK and all the vendors promoting the 3288, I can only see four possibilities.

1. Both companies are colluding to mislead, which I can't really believe would be true.

2. The naming conventions are not strict enough to allow every combination to have some kind of unique identifier, which would be down to Arm to resolve for the benefit and clarity of both vendors and buyers.

3. The 3288 has potentially had further development since it's original marketing that gives it credibility.

4. Rockchip are pulling a fast one and hoping that Arm aren't that interested enough to make them change the marketing. After what they did with the secret release of the 3188T, I would not put it past them.

With Intel partnering up with Rockchip, the relationship between them and Arm should become interesting.
            R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Re: The latest news about RK3288

The fact that Arm licence their own technology to companies like Rockchip and they must be well aware of how things are being advertised by RK and all the vendors promoting the 3288, I can only see four possibilities.

1. Both companies are colluding to mislead, which I can't really believe would be true.

2. The naming conventions are not strict enough to allow every combination to have some kind of unique identifier, which would be down to Arm to resolve for the benefit and clarity of both vendors and buyers.

3. The 3288 has potentially had further development since it's original marketing that gives it credibility.

4. Rockchip are pulling a fast one and hoping that Arm aren't that interested enough to make them change the marketing. After what they did with the secret release of the 3188T, I would not put it past them.

With Intel partnering up with Rockchip, the relationship between them and Arm should become interesting.
              I think it's more likely to be #4, loosely applying the term 'fast one' though that is what it seems to be after all is considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomari View Post
                I think it's more likely to be #4, loosely applying the term 'fast one' though that is what it seems to be after all is considered.
                I would tend to concur.

When we see mass shipping of 3288 devices and the media techs get hold of them for full reviews, it will be interesting to see how many ask the same questions.
                Last edited by bluesmanuk; 09-11-2014, 10:57.
                R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Re: The latest news about RK3288

I would tend to concur.

When we see mass shipping of 4288 devices and the media techs get hold of them for full reviews, it will be interesting to see how many ask the same questions.
                  ...probably none. So far maybe only one reviewer has even broached the topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Haba View Post

Example Topologies:
                    THX, I missed this...
                    RK3288 Devices
                    - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                    - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                    UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Well, from all the (admittedly questionable) CPU info apps I've tried.

Even as I posted I was thinking it doesn't seem possible that it can be built using 40nm. No way the processors would run at the speeds they're running at current voltage levels.

edit: ...also, why would they go from 28nm to 40nm after releasing the RK3188 on 28nm. Doesn't make sense but who knows.
                      If you e.g. mean cpu-z v1.08, I think it doesn't work correctly, because it also says it's an rk3066... and 40-nm is ARM Cortex-A5 (<=1GHz)
                      (45-nm is ARM Cortex-A9 (0.8 -2GHz))

But it says 'ARM 0xc0d' which seams to be an A12 ("The CPU architecture is 0xc0d, which stands for ARM Cortex A12, whereas Cortex A17 should be 0xc0e" http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/08/...ndroid-tv-box/) "seams to be" because the blobdiff isn't longer available at the kernel.git but you can also find it e.g. at http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2013-12/msg01390.html

Here you will find a blobdiff including the define for the CORTEX_A17 https://git.linaro.org/arm/ds5/gator...driver/gator.h

Have you other useful tools?
                      RK3288 Devices
                      - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                      Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                      Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                      Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

If you e.g. mean cpu-z v1.08, I think it doesn't work correctly, because it also says it's an rk3066... and 40-nm is ARM Cortex-A5 (<=1GHz)
                        (45-nm is ARM Cortex-A9 (0.8 -2GHz))

But it says 'ARM 0xc0d' which seams to be an A12 ("The CPU architecture is 0xc0d, which stands for ARM Cortex A12, whereas Cortex A17 should be 0xc0e" http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/08/...ndroid-tv-box/) "seams to be" because the blobdiff isn't longer available at the kernel.git but you can also find it e.g. at http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2013-12/msg01390.html

Here you will find a blobdiff including the define for the CORTEX_A17 https://git.linaro.org/arm/ds5/gator...driver/gator.h

Have you other useful tools?
                        Really? Mine reads RK3288 in CPU-z. I saw the same in other CPU info apps, in fact all of them. Same with the part codes and drivers. I'm pretty much accepting the boxes I have are Cortex-A12 and I'm not all that displeased, they work well and that's all that matters in the end ... tried like heck to get one of the manufacturers to revise their product listing but they say if Rockchip lists it as A17 they can't list it as A12 ... hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by PolloLoco View Post
                          While it's slightly disappointing to hear that the (1) Rk3288 is only an a12, its really the only game in town right now. I was interested in the a80 chip, but the only board taking orders (Optimus board) (2) was selling for $345! That's insane.

I'm waiting a Rockchip reply yet...

The A80 development board's new price: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...015735541.html

Shipping is really expensive I think. I don't know what price I can get here in China... if have time we will ask Merrii.

(Edit): Just asked Merrii about the A80 board, price is same in China.
                          Last edited by Javimetal; 09-12-2014, 11:11.
                          Android TV Box direct from China. English & Español

Comment

... I'm pretty much accepting the boxes I have are Cortex-A12 and I'm not all that displeased, they work well and that's all that matters in the end ...
                            As I wrote
                            I can live with an A12 but I don't like to be fu**ed...

Originally posted by Javimetal View Post
                            ...The A80 development board's new price: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...015735541.html
                            Shipping is really expensive I think. ...
                            US $87.71 to Germany via Fedex IE
                            RK3288 Devices
                            - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Time ago I have been looking at this project, it looks like now there is a release date:

More info here: http://www.t-firefly.com/html/en/feature/

This is maybe a good alternative to the RADXA ROCK 2... another good development board.

When some pages before I was talking about buy a "toy", I was talking about these kind of boards. They was made for play, learn, study, share, design, enjoy! Take a look here: http://www.t-firefly.com/html/en/download/

I found some good development boards there, from RADXA, Merrii, Firefly.
                              Android TV Box direct from China. English & Español

Comment

Greetings,

Can any of you guys verify that the mali-t760 gpu is used?

If they lie about which app processor they use, they might lie about which gpu processor. For some reason the t764 processor doesn't even exist, but is this thing even from the 7 series?

I remember a couple years ago when ainol had built up a strong reputation, then they ruined it by advertising the next tablet would have a quad core a9 family chip.

It ended up coming with Quad a5 core from actions semi.

Comment

Working...
                                X