The latest news about RK3288

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on 18th June

As far as i know, the official rk3288 sdk is released, and those developer company is working hard to put the correct wifi/bluetooth drivers on it.

ROCKCHIP give different choice for their rk3288 device.

You maybe find some different rk3288 device with different housing:

with internal wifi antenna or external antenna
    built in web camera or don't come with web camera

wifi module you can choose from

Broadcom ap6210, ap6330, and a p6335

I guess a lot of people will have no idea which one to choose again

Anyway, I want to hear your guys voice, which specification do you need?

let me know in the following post

Eric
    Looking for developers
    http://freaktab.com/forum/advertiser...91j-smartphone

Comment

With internal wifi

Send from asus fonepad 7
      Tronsmart MK908 Since 2013
      Himedia Q5 III Since 2014

Comment

- internal WiFi (as a reserve for good working ethernet)
        - built-in web camera (at least 3-5 Mpix) for easy Skype from chair on big TV screen
        - AP6210 (99% of users don't have dual band routers)

Comment

I don't mind paying extra for:

- 3 gigs (preferably 4 gigs) of RAM. All my other android devices have 3 gigs.

- External Wifi with standard removeable hardware (in my case so larger/powered antennas can be added)

- Broadcom ap6335
          (I would want the most options available - cause you never know what your system will be like in a year ).

- 1gig ethernet.

- At least 16gig of storage.

- Well built , stylized case ie. Minix x7.

- appropriate heat sinks / ventilation. No moving parts i.e. Fans.

- high quality voltage regulation.

Option: Camera (I have so many devices with cameras on it - plus I usually hide my TV box in a stereo rack.)

Thanks,

D

Comment

Originally posted by geekbuying View Post
            Update on 18th June

As far as i know, the official rk3288 sdk is released, and those developer company is working hard to put the correct wifi/bluetooth drivers on it.

ROCKCHIP give different choice for their rk3288 device.

You maybe find some different rk3288 device with different housing:

with internal wifi antenna or external antenna
            built in web camera or don't come with web camera

wifi module you can choose from

Broadcom ap6210, ap6330, and a p6335

I guess a lot of people will have no idea which one to choose again

Anyway, I want to hear your guys voice, which specification do you need?

let me know in the following post

Eric
            To encourage to the owners of TV boxes (old and more recent models) to update to this new system, I would suggest:

1) WiFi/BT Broadcom AP6335 is the most appropiate module

2) Internal storage: 32 Gb as minimum and optional 64 Gb for user that want to pay for it

3) 3 Gb RAM it´s a must (this SoC still would be a 32-bit cpu right?), DDR3 modules able to run to the maximum fequency speed.

4) Gigabit ethernet module

5) Proper interface to play true 4k content: HDMI 2.0 (out), HDMI in, USB 3.0 ports

6) SD external card capble to read up to 128 Gb, same as above, to can hold heavy 4K content.

7) A powerful external antenna and removable to can add a thid party models if customers want it.

8) Proper aired/ventiled and stilyzed TV box case, not like the latest ugly form factor built on some recent models

9) Rockchip must guarantee to release very soon a new SDK with the new Android 4.4.3, but overall specially with the proper and most recent Linux kernel possible for this specific device.

10) Well, and finally hoping that the specs are real and the TV box can be run to the maximum CPU and GPU frequency for the better and smooth performance.

PS: Eric, pls can you confirm if RK3288 will have a built in HDMI transmitter to avoid all of the big problems with HDMI output suffered by owners of RK3188 TV boxes / stick due to the lack of this built-in HDMI transmitter?

Those are my thoughs.
            Last edited by BTR11; 06-18-2014, 22:19.

Comment

Still to early,good Eric for the information, remember peoples known right now the differences between; rockchip, allwinner and amlogic, I do own a rk3188 and A31 mele box used the most because better graphics, but no so fast than the one,never owned an amlogic.
              So to me I prefer to wait couples month and no make the same mistake last year for to be an early bird

Comment

Originally posted by leafar View Post
                ......I prefer to wait couples month and no make the same mistake last year for to be an early bird
                I agree. I have made the expensive mistake of being the "first in line". In fact, unless Minix releases a RK3288 (or even an Allwinner A80) I probably wont be buying a unit at all. I'll stick with my X7.

D

Comment

Seems they can't wait to push the rk3288 to market, but what is the real time when we can expect the real samples?
                  I have no inside information on this, but if I was an Android TV box manufacturer and did not have a private conversation going with Google, I would be waiting for IO 2014 announcements before making any of my own. If Google announce an android tv software platform, I'd be VERY keen to be one of the first to produce something that uses it.

Mark
                  Out: USB audio, HDMI
                  In: Logitech K400 keyboards

Comment

Yeah i too want to do that well thanks to share this .. i have that type of latest news in
                    Last edited by leolas; 06-27-2014, 07:51.

Comment

Originally posted by haniya11 View Post
                      Yeah i too want to do that well thanks to share this .. i have that type of latest news in

?????
                      is this spam?
                      Last edited by leolas; 06-27-2014, 07:53.
                      Out: USB audio, HDMI
                      In: Logitech K400 keyboards

Comment

Ok, More news coming.

the rk3288 will also learn from amlogic, for dolby and dts support, they have different chip to do it.

the rk3288 should don't support dolby dts hardware decoding.
                        the rk3288-d should support dolby and no dts.

rock chip still haven't got the agreement with dts, so don't know if they will have the chip for dolby and dts.

also the HDMI output in the official sdk still have problem. some tv won't get signals...

so again, it's still too early to set up the presell link for rk3288 and talking about the shipping date.

Eric
                        Looking for developers
                        http://freaktab.com/forum/advertiser...91j-smartphone

Comment

Ok, More news coming.

the rk3288 will also learn from amlogic, for dolby and dts support, they have different chip to do it.

the rk3288 should don't support dolby dts hardware decoding.
                          the rk3288-d should support dolby and no dts.

rock chip still haven't got the agreement with dts, so don't know if they will have the chip for dolby and dts.

also the HDMI output in the official sdk still have problem. some tv won't get signals...

so again, it's still too early to set up the presell link for rk3288 and talking about the shipping date.

Eric
                          Eric, thanks for the update. Will definitely be watching for the devices you end up selling. By chance are you also looking into Allwinner A80 TV devices as well?

D

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Dasher View Post
                            Eric, thanks for the update. Will definitely be watching for the devices you end up selling. By chance are you also looking into Allwinner A80 TV devices as well?

D
                            No allwinner A80M TV boxes on the horizon..Mstar the (MSO9180D1R) good alternative and Tegra K1 will be priced to go in Q3 for Google/TV etc.

Comment

Ok, More news coming.

Eric
                              This is a big alert, HDMI output signal is the main problem of Rockchip devices since last generation rk3188; hopefully they will sorted out and Rockchip will be honest enough to don´t release the SoC & SDK prior to test widely and fixed on the most well known brands of TV sets and screens; my confidence on them, Rockchip, is weak after dealing with a couple of rk3188 TV boxes with HDMI output problems (i.e Minix Neo X7).
                              Rockchip must fix:
                              - HDMI Video Flickering & intermitent screen black outs + visual noise/artifacts mainly on 1080p resolution at 60 hz and 50hz refresh rate
                              - HDMI Colour / gamma correction for black levels that make some dark scenes so dark with out proper definiton or resolution
                              - HDMI sound glitches or intermitent.

Thanks Erick for keeping us updated.
                              Last edited by BTR11; 06-27-2014, 21:40.

Comment

The latest news about RK3288

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                                And I have said this before way back. AML S802 has better HDMI. Colors are better and so is contrast! That is than any RK3188 box I have including the X7. So far the S802 is now my box of choice and my PICKY WIFE agrees!

If RK leaves the HDMI implementation they have in 3188 on 3288... kiss their ass goodbye!

By the way just to add. My old Jynxbox M6 has better fidelity on HDMI than any 3188 box and I have said this before as well.

Bob
                                We are holding back because of the HDMI issue, we will release the product only if the problems are confirmed to be fixed by RK, unlike some brands that are treating users like lab rats. Up till now, the answer is negative so we just put it on hold even we were the first company got it running.

Comment

Working...
                                X