Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Android or Linux from an SD card on a RK3288 device - An easy way to dual boot

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grant2258 View Post
    thing is everything seems to be flashing right on the sdcard the system is the only partition showing any data.
    Same for me, but it worked (e.g. with Firefly-Image). Maybe the problem is the single partition-layout in the Wasser image? Tried another parameter file with the Wasser image?

Comment

Originally posted by hueb_s View Post
      Same for me, but it worked (e.g. with Firefly-Image). Maybe the problem is the single partition-layout in the Wasser image? Tried another parameter file with the Wasser image?

I havent tried that yet to be honest im ok with linux been using it for years just need to get to grips with how all this android booting works and what files are needed. Do you have a link to a working system image for this script so i can see whats going on in one that works and try find out why this one isint. Id like to try new releases on sdcard before flashing to nand i notices this in the parameter file has an @ in it anyone know what that actually does? -@0x00234000(userdata)
      Last edited by grant2258; 01-01-2015, 19:06.

Comment

This means the last partition gets all the remaining space. With the single-partition images this is userdata, else user partition.

Comment

This means the last partition gets all the remaining space. With the single-partition images this is userdata, else user partition.
          ah ok good to know. Ill try with the firefly parameter tomorrow is time for bed. Im also going to compare the fstabs after sed has done its work. Ill report back tomorrow if i get any joy.

Comment

the linux is running natively

cat /etc/linuxmint/info
            RELEASE=17
            CODENAME=qiana
            EDITION="Cinnamon 64-bit"
            DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 17 Qiana"
            DESKTOP=Gnome
            TOOLKIT=GTK
            NEW_FEATURES_URL=http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_qiana_cinnamon_whatsnew.php
            RELEASE_NOTES_URL=http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_qiana_cinnamon.php
            USER_GUIDE_URL=http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php
            GRUB_TITLE=Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit

I have installed the boot loader on the box. I did initially have to install sgdisk like i said. All i get is a boot screen and then it hangs.

ive not really been through all how this works i think ill need to look into what the sctripts are doing more to work out what the mattery my side. All i know is when i mout all the partitons as ext4 the only one that has any data listed on it is sdd3 the system partition
            As you are running Linux on a 64-bit environment please make sure you have 'ia32-libs' installed. This is because 'mkkrnlimg' is provided as a 32-bit binary from Rockchip hence the need for 'ia32-libs' if on 64-bit.

If you have problems installing 'ia32-libs' then you will need to use a 64-bit version of 'mkkrnlimg' which is available here https://github.com/phjanderson/Kernel-3188. To download and install this 64-bit version, first change directory to 'Tools' and in a terminal window enter 'mv mkkrnlimg mkkrnlimg.x86' and then 'wget https://github.com/phjanderson/Kerne...ster/mkkrnlimg' and finally 'chmod 755 mkkrnlimg' (note: I cannot stop hypertexting on the 'wget' command so make sure the full path is 'github.com/phjanderson/Kernel-3188/raw/master/mkkrnlimg').

Next please can you run the script 'create-android-sdcard' using the stock ROM for your device? Lets confirm that your SD card build environment is correct and that you can successfully boot the stock ROM from SD card.

Once everything works, alternative ROMs can be tried, including the Wasser ROMs which specifically require the 'create-android-sdcard-no-user-partition' script.

Comment

For some reason I got a problem while decoding the boot.img of some ROMs. I tried to manually run split_bootimg.pl on a boot.img of the HPH 1.4 Rom (by mo123) or the finless 1.2 Rom. These Roms are already split in several images (boot, system, kernel, resource etc.) For some reason the boot.img doesn't contain an ANDROID_MAGIC header, so split_bootimage.pl cannot split them. Is there another way to get the ramdisk out of such a boot.img?
              Last edited by hueb_s; 01-02-2015, 07:29.

Comment

For some reason I got a problem while decoding the boot.img of some ROMs. I tried to manually run split_bootimg.pl on a boot.img of the HPH 1.4 Rom (by mo123) or the finless 1.2 Rom. These Roms are already split in several images (boot, system, kernel, resource etc.) For some reason the boot.img doesn't contain an ANDROID_MAGIC header, so split_bootimage.pl cannot split them. Is there another way to get the ramdisk out of such a boot.img?
                I unpacked the boot.img with rkunpack, that creates a boot.img-raw. Now I'm stuck with different partition layout in the HPH 1.4 Rom (user partition is missing and userdata is last partition).

Comment

Originally posted by linuxium View Post
                  As you are running Linux on a 64-bit environment please make sure you have 'ia32-libs' installed. This is because 'mkkrnlimg' is provided as a 32-bit binary from Rockchip hence the need for 'ia32-libs' if on 64-bit.

If you have problems installing 'ia32-libs' then you will need to use a 64-bit version of 'mkkrnlimg' which is available here https://github.com/phjanderson/Kernel-3188. To download and install this 64-bit version, first change directory to 'Tools' and in a terminal window enter 'mv mkkrnlimg mkkrnlimg.x86' and then 'wget https://github.com/phjanderson/Kerne...ster/mkkrnlimg' and finally 'chmod 755 mkkrnlimg' (note: I cannot stop hypertexting on the 'wget' command so make sure the full path is 'github.com/phjanderson/Kernel-3188/raw/master/mkkrnlimg').

Next please can you run the script 'create-android-sdcard' using the stock ROM for your device? Lets confirm that your SD card build environment is correct and that you can successfully boot the stock ROM from SD card.

Once everything works, alternative ROMs can be tried, including the Wasser ROMs which specifically require the 'create-android-sdcard-no-user-partition' script.
                  I will try the 64 bit version and let you know how i get on. The firefly image booted fine for me its just the wasser didnt play ball at all.

Comment

The wasser image is a single partition layout. It needs a bit tweaking of the script to work (no user partition).

Comment

The wasser image is a single partition layout. It needs a bit tweaking of the script to work (no user partition).
                      That is why I wrote the script 'create-android-sdcard-no-user-partition' specifically for the "Wasser" type ROM (see
                      http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...l=1#post255990).

This version of the script handles an Android build which uses a single 'Data' partition for everything rather than having an extra 'User' partition.

Comment

Now i have a strange issue with my experimenting the firefly isint booting anymore. Im going to dd the sdcard clear ( dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdd) and try again. Sometimes the bootscreen appears and other times it just doesnt boot at all. I did try with the 64 bit version gdisk is installed as well as ia32-libs. Ill do a full bash script with set -wvf and post a log if dd doesnt work

Comment

Now i have a strange issue with my experimenting the firefly isint booting anymore. Im going to dd the sdcard clear ( dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdd) and try again. Sometimes the bootscreen appears and other times it just doesnt boot at all. I did try with the 64 bit version gdisk is installed as well as ia32-libs. Ill do a full bash script with set -wvf and post a log if dd doesnt work
                          I must have missed it so what is your device and what ROMs and/or Linux systems are you interested in running from SD card?

Comment

That is why I wrote the script 'create-android-sdcard-no-user-partition' specifically for the "Wasser" type ROM (see
                            http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...l=1#post255990).

This version of the script handles an Android build which uses a single 'Data' partition for everything rather than having an extra 'User' partition.
                            I must have missed this, thanks!

Comment

I must have missed it so what is your device and what ROMs and/or Linux systems are you interested in running from SD card?
                              Well I know the firefly should boot it was yesterday. I did edit the script in a few places not sure what i changed but i deleted it all and extracted your you archive to do this freshly installed. now nothing is booting. I have a tronsmart r28 orion. I want the wasser 2.0.3 roms on my box. But ill stick to firefly because i know that will boot and should work for everything accept sound for testing. Ill add the output.txt file here for you too see. If theres any other info youd like just let me know. attachment is here <- output.txt ->

Is just stuck at the firefly boot screen now

Comment

Well I know the firefly should boot it was yesterday. I did edit the script in a few places not sure what i changed but i deleted it all and extracted your you archive to do this freshly installed. now nothing is booting. I have a tronsmart r28 orion. I want the wasser 2.0.3 roms on my box. But ill stick to firefly because i know that will boot and should work for everything accept sound for testing. Ill add the output.txt file here for you too see. If theres any other info youd like just let me know. attachment is here <- [ATTACH]9581[/ATTACH] ->

Is just stuck at the firefly boot screen now
                                Your output is not from the original (unedited) script so something may have changed.

Additionally there are two hardware versions on the Tronsmart R28 Orion (PCBA V2.0 and PCBA V3.0) and two versions of Firefly's Android software (v0809 Beta and v0930).

I suggested you start with the stock ROM for your device.

As it is, you have tried a different ROM with an edited script.

Not really the best way to diagnose why "nothing is booting".

Comment

Working...
                                X