This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use Windows to create an SD card so you can run Linux on a RK3288 device

Easiest way to try Linux on a RK3288 if you only have a Windows PC.

First check your bootloader version and if necessary flash the RK3288Loader_uboot_V2.17.02.bin (downloadable from 'https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99...m1nVjdncVBuaG8') to your device to allow SD card booting.

Next download and uncompress one of these images ('https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99...U1ZSkoybEdPeTA' or 'https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99...zBhYTRKS1BqTnc') and write the image to an SD card using 'Win32 Disk Imager' on Windows (or 'dd' on Linux).

Then just put the SD card into your device and turn on the power to boot up Linux.

Booting will give you a full Linux desktop. It will not affect your installed software as everything needed to boot is taken from the SD card so it will work even if the device is 'bricked'. As it provides effectively a generic RK3288 kernel and resource image, both wifi and/or sound may or may not work depending on your specific device. However you can then use the system to build a bootable SD card by following 'Running Android or Linux from an SD card on a RK3288 device' (see here) or similar.

The default username is 'linuxium' and the default password is 'p'.

A root password can be set by entering 'sudo su -' and then 'passwd root' in a terminal window. You can expand the file system to utilise the whole SD card by entering 'echo -e "d\nn\np\n1\n139265\n\nw" | sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk1' then rebooting and entering 'sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk1p1' to complete the resizing.

One other advantage is that this image also supports a Linux root file system (RFS) on USB. So if you want to try a different RFS all you need to do is download one and write it to USB and then make sure both the SD card and USB are inserted before connecting the power.

Cheers linuxium
    R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Originally posted by linuxium View Post
      Easiest way to try Linux on a RK3288 if you only have a Windows PC.

First check your bootloader version and if necessary flash the RK3288Loader_uboot_V2.17.02.bin (downloadable from 'https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99...m1nVjdncVBuaG8') to your device to allow SD card booting.

Next download and uncompress one of these images ('https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99...U1ZSkoybEdPeTA' or 'https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99...zBhYTRKS1BqTnc') and write the image to an SD card using 'Win32 Disk Imager' on Windows (or 'dd' on Linux).

Then just put the SD card into your device and turn on the power to boot up Linux.

Booting will give you a full Linux desktop. It will not affect your installed software as everything needed to boot is taken from the SD card so it will work even if the device is 'bricked'. As it provides effectively a generic RK3288 kernel and resource image, both wifi and/or sound may or may not work depending on your specific device. However you can then use the system to build a bootable SD card by following 'Running Android or Linux from an SD card on a RK3288 device' (see here) or similar.

The default username is 'linuxium' and the default password is 'p'.

A root password can be set by entering 'sudo su -' and then 'passwd root' in a terminal window. You can expand the file system to utilise the whole SD card by entering 'echo -e "d\nn\np\n1\n139265\n\nw" | sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk1' then rebooting and entering 'sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk1p1' to complete the resizing.

One other advantage is that this image also supports a Linux root file system (RFS) on USB. So if you want to try a different RFS all you need to do is download one and write it to USB and then make sure both the SD card and USB are inserted before connecting the power.
      Thanks for this linuxium it sounds very simple I thought even I could follow this but I cant get it to boot into Linux.
      Iv followed every step,First I flashed your new loader as mine was 2.15 so I flashed your bootloader RK3288Loader_uboot_V2.17.02.bin,,It flashed fine with no errors.
      I downloaded & tried both https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99...U1ZSkoybEdPeTA

& write that image to a Brand new 32GB class 10 SD card using 'Win32 Disk Imager' on Windows, fine no errors
      shut down my R28 inserted the sd card turn back on the R28 & it still boots into android Don't shout at me what have I done wrong
      Last edited by blinkone; 12-10-2014, 15:34.
      Please consider making a Donation to freakTab

Comment

What is the difference between the two linux images??

Comment

Originally posted by gffmac View Post
          What is the difference between the two linux images??
          Two different Linux versions
          - 12.04 LTS

--------------------------

hmmm, it's really difficult to find out which bootloader is actually flashed
          At rk3188 you can find out with 'cat /proc/cmdline' the version (e.g. "... bootver=
          2013-05-18#1.20 ...")
          but at rk3288 I only find e.g. "... loader.timestamp=2014-10-14_19:25:09 ...".
          But after flashing the new bootloader I get "... loader.timestamp=2014-11-10_03:41:49 ..."
          so I think everything is fine...

Next step will be to try one of the img's

I attach a package to flash the 'RK3288Loader_uboot_V2.17.02.bin' and I think if you get
          Code:
          Test Device Start
          Test Device Success
          Check Chip Start
          Check Chip Success
          Get FlashInfo Start
          Get FlashInfo Success
          Prepare IDB Start
          Prepare IDB Success
          Download IDB Start
          Download IDB Success
          Reset Device Start
          Reset Device Success
          and then restart the box, everything is fine...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by no_spam_for_me; 12-10-2014, 18:26. Reason: LTS
          RK3288 Devices
          - Overview BOX (LINK !)
          - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
          UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
          Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
          Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
          Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
            Two different Linux versions
            - 12.04 (I think LTE)

--------------------------

hmmm, it's really difficult to find out which bootloader is actually flashed
            At rk3188 you can find out with 'cat /proc/cmdline' the version (e.g. "... bootver=
            2013-05-18#1.20 ...")
            but at rk3288 I only find e.g. "... loader.timestamp=2014-10-14_19:25:09 ...".
            But after flashing the new bootloader I get "... loader.timestamp=2014-11-10_03:41:49 ..."
            so I think everything is fine...

Next step will be to try one of the img's

I attach a package to flash the 'RK3288Loader_uboot_V2.17.02.bin' and I think if you get
            Code:
            Test Device Start
            Test Device Success
            Check Chip Start
            Check Chip Success
            Get FlashInfo Start
            Get FlashInfo Success
            Prepare IDB Start
            Prepare IDB Success
            Download IDB Start
            Download IDB Success
            Reset Device Start
            Reset Device Success
            and then restart the box, everything is fine...
            Thanks for the tips,no spam for me,,I was already using the rk-android-tool2.3 & just flashing the first one the loader..just tried the android tool you posted it flash's fine same as before
            Code:
            Test Device Start
            Test Device Success
            Check Chip Start
            Check Chip Success
            Get FlashInfo Start
            Get FlashInfo Success
            Prepare IDB Start
             Prepare IDB Success
            Download IDB Start
             Download IDB Success
            Reset Device Start
            Reset Device Success
            I do the same as before write the image to the sd card using the win32 disc imager power off & power on my Tronsmart R28 with the sd card in & it just boots into android.
            I assume the sd card has got to be in fat32 format but saying that iv tryed it in all formats Do I need to have MD5 Hash ticked in the win32 disc imager

Comment

Here you can find the latest version of 'Win32 Disk Imager'

BTW: I use the '*-binary.zip' because I don't like to install it...

After you have wrote the img to the SD card:
              - [Exit] 'Win32 Disk Imager'
              - release SD card save/secure at Windoof
              - power off box (unplug)
              - insert SD card
              - power on box (plug)
              => I boot to 12.04
              RK3288 Devices
              - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
              Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
              Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
              Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by blinkone View Post
                I assume the sd card has got to be in fat32 format but saying that iv tryed it in all formats Do I need to have MD5 Hash ticked in the win32 disc imager
                Format is irrelevant because 'Win32 Disk Imager' kills all at the SD...
                I only open the IMG, select the Device and click [Write] and wait
                RK3288 Devices
                - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
                  Format is irrelevant because 'Win32 Disk Imager' kills all at the SD...
                  I only open the IMG, select the Device and click [Write] and wait
                  Arrrrrr I worship you no_spam_for_me.. 'Win32 Disk Imager' was the problem I download the binary one & hey presto worked first time many many thanks first time I ever used Linux so from hear is all new ground..How do I adjust the screen size its slightly too big im missing the the edges all round thanks again

Edit iv sorted the screen size just trying to sort the wifi out now or ethernet

Comment

Originally posted by blinkone View Post
                    ...How do I adjust the screen size its slightly too big im missing the the edges all round thanks again
                    I don't know, because it's an overscan at the TV which I can disable at my TV (so I have to use screen-scale to 100% at android, so I also have 1:1 pixel )
                    RK3288 Devices
                    - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Hello from inside my Tronsmart Orion R28 Pro :P

Im tring to resize the card as per your instructions and have completed the first part and rebooted but the next bit doesnt to seem to want to work:
                      sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk1p1
                      resize2fs 1.42.10 (18-May-2014)
                      Filesystem at /dev/mmcblk1p1 is mounted on /; on-line resizing required
                      old_desc_blocks = 1, new_desc_blocks = 2
                      resize2fs: Permission denied to resize filesystem

ubuntu1410-linux-rk3288-sdcard.img.7z
                      managed to get ethernet working by setting network from what it was set to auto connect (or something similar)
                      but seems more buggy

ubuntu1204-linux-rk3288-sdcard.img.7z
                      seems more stable but cant get network running

Thanks!
                      Last edited by gffmac; 12-10-2014, 20:40.

Comment

Hello from inside my Tronsmart Orion R28 Pro :P

Im tring to resize the card as per your instructions and have completed the first part and rebooted but the next bit doesnt to seem to want to work:
                        sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk1p1
                        resize2fs 1.42.10 (18-May-2014)
                        Filesystem at /dev/mmcblk1p1 is mounted on /; on-line resizing required
                        old_desc_blocks = 1, new_desc_blocks = 2
                        resize2fs: Permission denied to resize filesystem

ubuntu1410-linux-rk3288-sdcard.img.7z
                        managed to get ethernet working by setting network from what it was set to auto connect (or something similar)
                        but seems more buggy

ubuntu1204-linux-rk3288-sdcard.img.7z
                        seems more stable but cant get network running

Thanks!
                        Normally the resize is the first thing I do before installing software or anything else. Perhaps try 'sudo e2fsck -f /dev/mmcblk1p1' first to correct any issues that may exist? You can always resize offline by putting the card in a different Linux device and running the command (worst case scenario in your case would be to prepare another bootable SD card, boot from it, then put your original SD card in the device via a card reader and then perform the resize).

For Ubuntu 12.04 you can always set up the network by editing '/etc/networking/interfaces' and putting in the relevant details and use 'ifup eth0' to start it.

Comment

I presume these images dont have graphics drivers? Can these be taken from the firefly linux builds if they exist there?
                          Last edited by gffmac; 12-11-2014, 19:30.

Comment

I presume these images dont have graphics drivers? Can these be taken from the firefly linux builds if they exist there?
                            Are you referring to kernel or userland? Also 'graphics drivers' is overly broad. As such a response of 'no,no'; 'yes,no'; 'no,yes' etc. wouldn't be too helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxium View Post
                              Are you referring to kernel or userland? Also 'graphics drivers' is overly broad. As such a response of 'no,no'; 'yes,no'; 'no,yes' etc. wouldn't be too helpful.
                              Nice answer, not hard to tell that I only dabble in linux

Basically graphics acceleration for Unity and video playback. Thanks for your hard work.

Comment

Working...
                              X