Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DRM - Is rockchip even working toward this and will it ever appear on rk3288?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, probably everyone is aware that select android platforms are available with the DRM requirements for HD Netflix and other content providers of this type. I have one such platform, the Google ADT-1. But wait everyone has been saying that the reason most android devices don't get DRM from Netflix is that the bootloader is unlocked, or could possibly be unlocked. The bootloader on the as ADT-1 is wide open, yet it does 1080p on Netflix test video at 5800kbps, while us with the rk3288 (I think a better platform) are capped at 720x480 1750kbps

I was just recently reading about the cheap realtek RTD1195 devices and specifically the mele products and couldn't help but notice in the specs that they come with widevine and playready DRM support! How is it that such a cheap, slow product (albeit with good video processor decoding) gets DRM support but the much more capable, and pricier rockchip devices can't manage it?

Do the mele devices support this because they licensed it themselves or is this standard on these realtek devices because realtek put in the time and effort to include it? Do we not have this because rockchip doesn't want to pay licensing fees, or is it the board producers who create the firmware that are cutting corners and not including this? As far I know all these realtek products aren't on locked bootloaders.

Also, where is the android browser support? This is not a rockchip issue at all but why does chrome for Linux and Windows provide widevinecdm(supporting Netflix HD), but not android. With the current chrome or chrome beta for android you can open Netflix with request desktop mode enabled, and since Netflix is now supporting HTML5, it will ask you if it is ok to send a unique device ID in order to play protected content, click ok and it will try to play the video, but then it will error out because the widevinecdm extension is missing. How to fix it? You can't because chrome for android doesn't support extensions!

Widevine support is now included by default in chromium browser(bringing DRM to chrome OS), but the android build of chromium? It's not compiled with it! Why the hell not? It's in the android source tree! What about Opera browser for android, it's based on chromium sources so why not? But it doesn't!

How about Firefox? Firefox for android supports NPAPI add-ons, so you should be able to use pipelight and widevine plugins to support DRM. Nope! Sorry, those plugins aren't available on android!

What is it going to take to get rockchip, or beelink, or anybody to add DRM support to this platform? That's what I want to know!

There must be a way to include it. A hack, a patch, a workaround? Someone please give me some suggestions!

(This concludes your Sawbones rant of the day, please post reactions and commentary below)

Cheers!
    -SB
    Last edited by sawbones999; 12-21-2014, 00:52.
    ---------------------------------------
    Currently using U-BOX R89 with mo123 v1.6.
    Other android tv device - ADT-1 running latest PureNexus 6.0.1 MM and very impressed with the changes vs stock molly!
    Pipo M9S -- CrewRKTab custom rooted 4.4.2
    RCA Viking Pro 10 -- Custom stock rooted 5.1 by me <- FOR SALE
    ----------- ROM by me, the first way to update ZTE Force 4G from ICS to JB http://androidforums.com/threads/fin...om-ics.886408/

Other android tv device - ADT-1 running latest PureNexus 6.0.1 MM and very impressed with the changes vs stock molly!
    ----------- ROM by me, the first way to update ZTE Force 4G from ICS to JB http://androidforums.com/threads/fin...om-ics.886408/

Comment

Ok, maybe not pipelight, bc it uses wine to load Windows plugins. Still there must be a way....

Can anyone explain to me how DRM is implemented on a nexus 7, or mele realtek device, or an ADT-1 and why we can't spoof it or copy it in some way?

Comment

ADT-1 Netflix app uses HTML5 DRM. This is the reason why you can get HD even with an unlocked bootloader. For other devices Netflix requires level 1 Widevine DRM implementation. Devices that are not Google certified will not be able to achieve this. Anyone who is more knowledgeable can correct me.

Comment

I was just reading this article which addresses the issue of widevine DRM on android. What I don't get is, I have seen online press releases dating back a couple of years about Google promising widevine inclusion into chrome for android, but where the hell is it already?

Surely they have a test version somewhere. I want a leak!

Maybe I'll try and build the chromium source for android which has the widevinecdm plugin source in it myself.

I still don't get why android chrome doesn't support add-ons or extensions.

If you're right about the Netflix for ADT-1, then it should be possible to decompile it, remove the android tv intent code, change the minimum api level to support kit Kat, and then recompile with possibly working apk? Or is the HTML5 DRM part of the ADT-1 api (or android L api possibly?)

Comment

Originally posted by sawbones999 View Post
            If you're right about the Netflix for ADT-1, then it should be possible to decompile it, remove the android tv intent code, change the minimum api level to support kit Kat, and then recompile with possibly working apk? Or is the HTML5 DRM part of the ADT-1 api (or android L api possibly?)
            If it is in the api, it could possibly be extracted and a patch made for kitkat?

Sucks hanging around waiting on Google(who owns widevine). I want to be proactive!

Cheers,
            -SB

Comment

Originally posted by sawbones999 View Post
              If it is in the api, it could possibly be extracted and a patch made for kitkat?

Sucks hanging around waiting on Google(who owns widevine). I want to be proactive!

Cheers,
              -SB
              Sorry, it is not that simple. If it was, we would have already seen patches .

Google has no fault in this. It is the vendor who has to comply with the requirements.

Amlogic has implemented Widevine and Playready DRM, but it doesn't meet level 1 requirements.

On ADT-1, Netflix is using DRM that is part of Chromium. You could compile it with widevinecdm component and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by WeK05 View Post
                Sorry, it is not that simple. If it was, we would have already seen patches .

Google has no fault in this. It is the vendor who has to comply with the requirements.

Amlogic has implemented Widevine and Playready DRM, but it doesn't meet level 1 requirements.

On ADT-1, Netflix is using DRM that is part of Chromium. You could compile it with widevinecdm component and see what happens.
                Google does have fault in it because they acquired widevine going on 5 years ago and have been promising it's inclusion into chrome for android for going on two years.

I do believe that the Netflix apk from my ADT-1 will hit the decompiler sometime soon so I can take a look.

Also, that chromium android source tree will be in the compiler. We'll see what comes out the other end. I'm not sure if the add-on was left out for a reason or not. Possibly the apk on the compiled binary download site is outdated. It certainly seems to be a poorly maintained branch.

This is what it says about android on the webpage to download the latest stable chromium build.

"Opera browser for Android (Google Play website)

What is that? It is Opera browser, not Chromium browser. :/

Yes, I know. There is absolutely no Chromium stable version for Android. And Opera for Android is based on Chromium. So, I recommend to use Opera because it uses less RAM than Google Chrome and it is an excellent mobile browser.

Info: show directly Opera mobile on the official Opera website

Good build • 5341
                Chromium browser logo
                Chromium Package (32-bit)
                chrome-android.zip • 41.0.2255.0 (309333, 271c6cca48a6) • Friday, 19 Dec 2014

Honestly, I have never tested Chromium on Android. A few people have asked me to add it. So, I hope this will be helpful for you! "

I tested the build, which was, as you can see from the quote above, not even tested by whoever posted it and possibly built it, too.. widevinecdm is noticeably absent. If you search Google for chromium android widevinecdm you will find that the sources are in the github under third party.

I saw a post asking about how to include it in the build. Maybe I can read the build instructions and figure it out. Obviously someone knows how, because they built it for chrome OS.

Here is a quote from the post:
                "Chrome 37 and higher have full support for EME, but EME is only an interface which plugs into the actual DRM component. The key component for this scheme is called "widevine CDM", which is also used by youtube for some content. It turns out that the widevine technology was acquired by google and also used for android and chromeOS video streaming.

This CDM component is part of the official chrome distribution, but from googling a bit I found it should have been part of chromium by default as well now. I checked our stable, beta and dev releases, but chrome://components does not show it. I suspect we need to (optionally) enable extra flags during building, but I'm not familiar with the build process. Can someone please give me some pointers? it appears there is a "third_party/widevine/cdm/widevine_cdm.gyp" file in our sources, so that should probably be included somehow."

Gonna research it more.

Cheers!
                -SB

Comment

Check out this piece of code from widevine_cdm.gyp

{
                  'variables': {
                  'widevine_cdm_version_h_file%': 'widevine_cdm_version.h',
                  'widevine_cdm_binary_files%': [],
                  'conditions': [
                  [ 'branding == "Chrome"', {
                  'conditions': [
                  [ 'chromeos == 1', {
                  'widevine_cdm_version_h_file%':
                  'chromeos/<(target_arch)/widevine_cdm_version.h',
                  'widevine_cdm_binary_files%': [
                  'chromeos/<(target_arch)/libwidevinecdm.so',
                  ],
                  }],
                  [ 'OS == "linux" and chromeos == 0', {
                  'linux/<(target_arch)/widevine_cdm_version.h',
                  'linux/<(target_arch)/libwidevinecdm.so',
                  ],
                  }],
                  [ 'OS == "mac"', {
                  'mac/<(target_arch)/widevine_cdm_version.h',
                  'mac/<(target_arch)/libwidevinecdm.dylib',
                  ],
                  }],
                  [ 'OS == "win"', {
                  'win/<(target_arch)/widevine_cdm_version.h',
                  'win/<(target_arch)/widevinecdm.dll',
                  'win/<(target_arch)/widevinecdm.dll.lib',
                  ],
                  }],
                  ],
                  }],
                  [ 'OS == "android"', {
                  'android/widevine_cdm_version.h',
                  }],
                  ],
                  },

Notice a few things. First 2 variables are defined, version.h and the build binary. Now take a look at the options per version. For Linux you see the compiled binary is a lib.So file, for Windows a dll file, chrome OS also a .so library file. Now look at the android entry. There is no binary!

I haven't dug deep enough yet to find the code that actually builds the binary. It looks as though they are included precompiled in the github, but there definitely is no binary in the android part of the github. There is also no source with which to build a binary in this location.

I wonder where the binary sources are at, and if one exists that will work in android. If I can find the binary source and build files, there may be an android flag in the build file which I could try.

If anyone wants to help backtrack all the dependencies and folders in this github to find the widevine_cdm binary sources and build files, please, feel free to jump in!

Cheers,
                  -SB

Comment

I have found some interesting stuff. Some proprietary libwidevine.so files in git hubs. I'm not sure if they can be used for compiling into chromium or not. Mostly they are for a specific phone or processor for the /system/lib folder. Also libwvmdrm.so files, com.Google.software.widevine.DRM.jar.

Some other interesting stuff. Only one source file so far https://android.googlesource.com/pla...MDrmPlugin.cpp

Other DRM library files linked which contain wv in the name, a .h include file for libstagefright about demuxing I think.

Anyway there is a lot of pieces out there, just no map to put it together. I might try using precompiled libwidevine.so from a Qualcomm processor or maybe from one of the Samsung devices that I found in some git hubs and see if they will work as the binary for compiling with chromium. Nothing to lose, everything to gain right?

I guess probably it's closed source, I guess I thought it was open because of being included by default in chrome for other platforms and chromium. I forget that those are not GPL. I did find bits and pieces of it (mostly old 2010-2011) that had BSD and apache licenses.

I'll let you all know how it turns out, that is when I get time.

Cheers!
                    -SB
                    Last edited by sawbones999; 12-21-2014, 05:34.

Comment

Actually I might try chrome sources instead. Because if it works in chromium browser it should also work in chrome.

Chromium browser on android kinda sucks (at least the precompiled one from their site does). It had no forward or back buttons, I don't even think a menu, just an address bar.

Can you tell I've had lots of adderall today or what? Lol.

I am out. Peace

Comment

I say every owner of tv player on here call into netflix and ask for hd on every android tv player.they will submit in the ticket into the computer system .the more tickets submitted the quickly they will look into it .it can be done.i just called in to demand hd plus Spanish audio for a lot more movies.takes only minutes to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fpsfreak209 View Post
                          I say every owner of tv player on here call into netflix and ask for hd on every android tv player.they will submit in the ticket into the computer system .the more tickets submitted the quickly they will look into it .it can be done.i just called in to demand hd plus Spanish audio for a lot more movies.takes only minutes to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          We should talk to the mods about organizing and advertising an official Netflix for android ebomb day. Maybe we could get some other forums involved, too. Like phandroid, android central, xda, etc.

Have every member of every forum who subscribes to Netflix submit support tickets demanding HD Netflix. If not to release an HD app then to at least put pressure on Google to finally release the widevinecdm for android chrome that they keep promising.

I think it's an excellent idea!

Comment

There would need to be like an official countdown clock banner on all the forums a month, maybe a week in advance and then we'd probably bog down their support system so bad that the whole site might crash, lol.

Comment

After doing all the research I posted into this thread I realise that this is a Google issue and not a Rockchip issue (although Rockchip could pay Google's fee scheme to become licensed for level 1 DRM, this is highly unlikely).

It would be nice if we could start some sort of HTML5 DRM bounty to get widevine cdm working on android. It might really be as simple as including one of the already available widevine DRM libraries into the chromium sources and enabling that bit during compilation.

I think it's pretty obviously Google is withholding this on purpose for monetary purposes.

Cheers,
                              -SB

Comment

Working...
                              X