Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been following the thread and finally tested my Beelink R89 with the LG 79UB9800 UHD TV. Got some demo 4k files off of usenet to test. This LG TV does have UHD "deep color" on HDMI 3. Plugged the Beelink into this port and started playback. With this TV, you can use the remote to click on the screen and a small info box will popup giving you the picture and sound info of what you're watching. For the first time, I was watching 2160p. The playback was smooth but these were just nature scenes. Conclusion: The Beelink R89 will playback 4K and sound. I was using MXPlayer.

Comment

Originally posted by arnold8 View Post
      With this TV, you can use the remote to click on the screen and a small info box will popup giving you the picture and sound info of what you're watching. For the first time, I was watching 2160p.(...) I was using MXPlayer.
      Sorry to bring you down from clouds but I must point some things:

1. If you use MXPlayer to watch 4k content and changed only in Android settings HDMI display output resolution to 2160p then you just have watched 1080p display of downscaled 2160p picture upscaled to 2160p output resolution. Look what kaefert wrote before: http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...622#post421622.

2. Nature shots can be one of the most demanding video streams. Especialy moving leafs on trees in huge forest or big flock of birds.
      RK3288 2GB/16GB OC 1.9GHz at 1.2V RAM [email protected] Wasser's 3.0.11 firmware
      Out: monitor FullHD 16:9, 3.5" jack headphones; In: remote control, USB HUB: keyboard + mouse + pendrive
      bricked: VOYO V1 mini 8G/64GB Windows 10

Comment

Have had a quick read of this thread. Do we think there is some confusion between 8 / 10 bit depth HDMI Connections and 12/16/24/30 bit per pixel video?

8/10 bit depth is used to define the bit depth of RGB or YCrCb signals carried over an HDMI connection.
        12/16/24/30 bit is used to define the total number of bits per pixel required to carry video in a given HDMI format.

So RGB 4:4:4 and YCrCb 4:4:4 at 8 bit is 24 bit video, but at 10 bit is 30 bit video.
        YCrCb 4:2:2 at 8 bit is 16 bit video (and at 10 bit is 20 bit) because each 8 or 10 bit Y sample is accompanied by one of a pair of Cr or Cb samples. So effectively there are two 8 or 10 bit samples per pixel.
        YCrCb 4:2:0 at 8 bit is 12 bit video as for every 4 Y samples there are just one each of Cr and Cb. So effectively there are 1.5 8 bit (not sure if 10 bit is used) samples per pixel. (This has the happy co-incidence of allowing for a bitrate that is within the HDMI 1.4a Phy spec. It's also how nVidia added 2160/50p and 60p 4:2:0 output to their HDMI 1.4a Kepler and Maxwell cards with a driver update, even though they don't support HDMI 2.0 Phy)

Could it be that the Rockchip boxes aren't currently (ever?) capable of outputting 8 bit 4:2:0 YCrCb (aka 12 bit per 'pixel'), and only output 24 bit per pixel 4:4:4 RGB or YCrCb? Could this be the limitation rather than the 10 bit vs 8 bit quoted?

Lots of current UHD TVs - particularly Sony - will only support 2160/50p and 60p with 4:2:0 colour space (because they are using HDMI 1.4 Phy?) - and it sounds as if the Rockchip boxes won't feed them. Real shame.

Comment

There is a new patch that
          - Supports 4K 10bit video
          - Supports 4096 resolution video
          on RK3288 devices instead of just 8-bit
          but not sure what color setup it uses.

Comment

Originally posted by noggin View Post
            Could it be that the Rockchip boxes aren't currently (ever?) capable of outputting 8 bit 4:2:0 YCrCb (aka 12 bit per 'pixel'), and only output 24 bit per pixel 4:4:4 RGB or YCrCb? Could this be the limitation rather than the 10 bit vs 8 bit quoted?

Lots of current UHD TVs - particularly Sony - will only support 2160/50p and 60p with 4:2:0 colour space (because they are using HDMI 1.4 Phy?) - and it sounds as if the Rockchip boxes won't feed them. Real shame.
            In both statements you are probably right on the money.

I can not definitely tell why RK3288 SoC HDMI output doesn't work with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling but it is known fact. It might be hardware fault. On the other hand when I had access to older kernel source there wasn't proper RK3288 HDMI driver code which could even enable that mode in this SoC HDMI composer.
            RK3288 2GB/16GB OC 1.9GHz at 1.2V RAM [email protected] Wasser's 3.0.11 firmware
            Out: monitor FullHD 16:9, 3.5" jack headphones; In: remote control, USB HUB: keyboard + mouse + pendrive

Comment

Hi,
              I couldn't get 4k60 with my RKM MK 902 II, my TV is a 2013 HDMI 1.4 upgraded to HDMI 2.0 (8bits).
              I just bought a NVidia Shield TV and it's now working at 4k60 ! In fact it solves all my problems (couldn't get Gb ethernet working either, had sound shuttering using HDMI ARC ...)
              So I'm a bit "cold" about theses Chinese box now :/

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCyrix View Post
                Hi,
                I couldn't get 4k60 with my RKM MK 902 II, my TV is a 2013 HDMI 1.4 upgraded to HDMI 2.0 (8bits).
                So I'm a bit "cold" about theses Chinese box now :/
                Yes, it is rather disappointing that RK3288 SoC can not output through HDMI video stream with chroma subsampling 4:2:0 .

Comment

I just found some information that had my hopes get up but it is rather unfortunate that this probably matters only for RK3288W SoC which has newer HDMI interface build in with even HDCP 2.2 support.

After studing source code from FireFly repository my conclusion is as follow. For "old" RK3288 it is still not impossibe to send picture over HDMI with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling therefor it can not achieve 4k@60fps (especially 10bpc) on some older TV's. Because it can work with display which accept through HDMI picture with 4:4:4 (or 4:2:2) chroma subsampling. Newer RK3288W can output 4:2:0 and it can work with every TV which mention something about 4k@60fps.

HDCP 2.2 support is provided from new device called rk3288-hdmi-hdcp2 and it almost certainly isn't inside old silicon. Even if that isn't the case with (AES,hash) encryption engine which just isn't used right now in kernels before 4.4. Or am I in the wrong?

Comment

Yes,only newer Rk3288-W can output 4K @60fps.I just found it in the official document.

Comment

Working...
                    X