How to dump RK3288 stick frimware - tools and methods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to dump RK3288 stick frimware - tools and methods

I have been trying to understand the process but so far I can't get grasp of it. I have some experience with flashing sony , samsung phones and some MTK based phones. However, all above we have particular flashing tool and generally we have combination of keys to get Phone in upload / update mode where we can easily flash but with my MK809 -4K stick, I have no idea how to do it, I can't get working with computer (windows 8.1), I installed driers from rockchip website, also I downloaded RK batch tools and tried them but not able to detect device and also its not clear how it works. Also download RK3xx firmware upgrade tools but no gain.

Can anyone point me to right tools for flashing , backing up this stick with instructions. I actually need to repartition space as its just 1GB main partition which is already exhausted.

Thanks..

This is to back up.

And rk3xx tools you can use to resize partition.

After you flash back you have to expand the partition to the new size. It's a general Linux command so you can Google it.
    Prahjister ****MK808(nonB)****MK808B V5****MK808B Plus****UBOX R89**** CX919****MK808B Pro****Nexbox N9****Eny Em95****Matricon Q2****Tanix TX5 Pro****

Comment

Thanks @prahjister , I have downloaded and checked it, however, it seems those instructions are meant for RK3188. Should they work on 3288 also ?

Comment

Yes all rockchip use the same method. Works on rk3066 as well.
        Prahjister ****MK808(nonB)****MK808B V5****MK808B Plus****UBOX R89**** CX919****MK808B Pro****Nexbox N9****Eny Em95****Matricon Q2****Tanix TX5 Pro****

Comment

Originally posted by prahjister View Post
          http://freaktab.com/forum/developmen...ew-rk-2-1-tool

This is to back up.

And rk3xx tools you can use to resize partition.

After you flash back you have to expand the partition to the new size. It's a general Linux command so you can Google it.
          I have followed instructions and now have user.img, userdata.img, system.img etc. as per the tutorial. Confused about next part, can't find any tutorial or proper information at one place. Looking for further pointers.

Thanks..

Comment

Take rk3xx and take apart stock image that originally flashed. Replace the img with what you pulled. Amend the partition sizes. One thing you have to do by hand is add userdata to a file. Can't remember name. Maybe config. It is generated when rk3xx pulls apart img so it knows what parts to flash to which partition.. Use text editor and follow pattern. Put back together with rk3xx and flash. I was told twrp has built in tool to expand partition. Use it to expand userdata.

Comment

BTW use rk3xx to reduce the system img size. Open it up with the tool then put back together. You won't have to flash all the blank space and reduce flashing time. You can do this with userdata as well. Find out the least amount you need. Take stock apart with rk3xx and change partition to smallest. Flash. Install all your stuff. Then start where you were before.

Burning empty space takes a lot of time. This should help reduce your flash time.

I think I might make a formal tutorial.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the advice, so I have used RK tools 2.1 and now I have following files as per instructions provided in thread link you gave here.

Parm.txt
                user.img
                radical_update.img
                userdata.img
                metadata.img
                cache.img
                kpanic.img
                backup.img
                recovery.img
                boot.img
                kernel.img
                resources.img
                misc.img
                uboot.img
                system.img
                What I understand that I need to increase "userdata.img" size (which shows up as internal storage 1GB ) and reduce user.img (which shows up as internal sd card 5.11 GB currently) . My system.img is currently around 800mb. Do I need to increase that too ?

Since I don't have single firmware image, I can't find way to load things up in rk3xxx tools. So far, was only able to open parameter file properly in that tools . If I use "single tools" and try to open any image like system.img then it shows following error :

I also tried to find some tutorial to use Rk3xxx tools , found this :

However, still clueless..

I don't want custom ROM or flash anything fancy , I just need internal space increased from 1G to 5G , while internal SD can be limited to 1GB or less only.
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Bump..

Anyone ?

Comment

Find a stock img and change the parameter file with rk3xx and flash back. You will loose everything that you have but will have the desired space.

Comment

Originally posted by Saahib View Post
                      Hey, thanks for the advice, so I have used RK tools 2.1 and now I have following files as per instructions provided in thread link you gave here.

What I understand that I need to increase "userdata.img" size (which shows up as internal storage 1GB ) and reduce user.img (which shows up as internal sd card 5.11 GB currently) . My system.img is currently around 800mb. Do I need to increase that too ?

Since I don't have single firmware image, I can't find way to load things up in rk3xxx tools. So far, was only able to open parameter file properly in that tools . If I use "single tools" and try to open any image like system.img then it shows following error :

I also tried to find some tutorial to use Rk3xxx tools , found this :
                      http://freaktab.com/forum/developmen...firmware-tools

However, still clueless..

I don't want custom ROM or flash anything fancy , I just need internal space increased from 1G to 5G , while internal SD can be limited to 1GB or less only.
                      Rename your directory to not include any spaces.
                      In rk3xxx tools on the single tools tab, click the parameter button at the bottom to edit your dumped parameter file and increase userdata space to eg. 2048MB for 2GB.
                      You flash all the single images with Rockchip RKAndroidTool v2.3 by adding and setting the path for all the images.

Comment

Thank you guys, however, I am not sure I can find stock ROM for this device as its not insanely popular..

However, yes simply editing Parameter file makes sense as RKAndroid Tools allow to flash single files. So, mo123 , what if I just flash new parameter file and won't touch anything else.. will that work ?

Comment

Originally posted by Saahib View Post
                          Thank you guys, however, I am not sure I can find stock ROM for this device as its not insanely popular..

However, yes simply editing Parameter file makes sense as RKAndroid Tools allow to flash single files. So, mo123 , what if I just flash new parameter file and won't touch anything else.. will that work ?
                          You also have to flash misc.img to erase the data partition otherwise nothing will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by mo123 View Post

Rename your directory to not include any spaces.
                            In rk3xxx tools on the single tools tab, click the parameter button at the bottom to edit your dumped parameter file and increase userdata space to eg. 2048MB for 2GB.
                            You flash all the single images with Rockchip RKAndroidTool v2.3 by adding and setting the path for all the images.
                            Can you give link to RKAndroidTool v2.3 download .. ?
                            That way it will easier for me to make sure that I am using right tool ?

Comment

Update 1 :
                              Got my device soft bricked..

I had modified paramenter file as per need form rk38xxx firmware tools and then flashed it using RkAndroidTools v2.3 starting at offset 0. Now device won't boot, it shows 4 penguins on top left corner of screen. I tried to flash backup of parameter file but no gain.

Update 2:
                              So far I understand that I need to first dump files then increase size of desired image file and then flash them back. In my case, size and offset of img files will be affected from system.img (see the attached image below from parameter tools) [ATTACH=CONFIG]n532997[/ATTACH]'

I have access to linux system, I can use dd command but I have no experience and reading tutorials are confusing. So, what I am supposed to do.. create a file of desired size using dd and then do cloning by mounting current image , eg.
                              say I mount system.img as loop device , then creates a newsystem.img with 1536 MB size (currently 768 MB), will that work or what I am supposed to exactly ?

Kindly guide as I will try to flash desired modified files to see it stick works again.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X