Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kodi16 only with MediaCodec !!!

Android Surface Rendering

The Android platform has always been a bit special as it’s still maturing and this change shows that. Some newer devices that can do UHD or 4K playback really well lack the power to also create the Kodi interface at that resolution, and this creates kind of a problem. The end result was that the we either had to downscale the video to a lower resolution to make sure the interface was snappy, or show full size video but the device might not be able handle the high resolution interface. This change allows us to create the Kodi user-interface in a different resolution than the resolution we do video playback, so what happens now is that the interface is displayed at 1080p, and the video will actually be output at the 4K resolution if the device supports it as we let the chip-set do the work instead of the processor.
    Important to mention is that this doesn’t apply to AMLogic devices with proper permissions as these will still use amcodec. Any other Android device that is not able to do “android surface rendering” has not implemented the standard Android MediaCodec API in the proper way. Sadly we have to take this route because the Android eco-system has become too big of a maze to support and we will only implement what we feel is the way forward, this means that we will only follow the official Android platform methods, and we will no longer implement any hacks or workarounds. If the device you have is not compatible, then we strongly advise that you ask your device manufacturer to properly implement these functions in the device’s firmware, it may be harsh but we as Team Kodi are not responsible for incomplete firmware created by these device manufacturers.
    Removal of libstagefright

With the Android platform becoming more mature regarding audio/video with the MediaCodec implementation it was time to say goodbye to libstagefright. The old implementation for audio and video is called libstagefright and has been in the media several times this year, this method has become very outdated and the implementation wasn’t the best, as such we have removed the support for this and will fully focus on MediaCodec. This means that for certain devices this will be a step back for Kodi usage, or perhaps Kodi might even become unusable if they have firmware which doesn’t make proper use MediaCodec. We’re sorry that this is happening but keeping support for libstagefright is hurting further progress, stability and puts a too large support burden on the our Android developer, so we hope you will all understand this decision.
    Ooo

Hmm.. i respect there decision..
    This stated..the off kodi, never really made any of my device shine
    Aka..i always used a specialized build..
    Spmc..for rk
    Meson..mygica
    S802..stan 2k4k
    S805..openelec

About stagefright beeing old..not realy true..
    You have: libstagefright and Rklibstagefright (spmc,ntmc ? ,wasser made kodi's use these )
    -i installed wasser rc15.2 kodi..on my rk3288..it failed, because my Rklibstagefright files where to old, it seems

But, i will install v16 on my oldest device (2012) ..and see if it makes a difference

-i think..one kodi for all devices = a outdated concept
    --and hope more forks will appear..du time

Comment

Yes, but which player used mediacodec from first time
      All I could find is, that even snapdragon don't use mediacodec.

I look for a tv player whithin it, so that I can use the actually kodi version without "manipulation".

Gesendet von meinem SM-P905 mit Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by heiko123 View Post
        Yes, but which player used mediacodec from first time
        All I could find is, that even snapdragon don't use mediacodec.

I look for a tv player whithin it, so that I can use the actually kodi version without "manipulation".

Gesendet von meinem SM-P905 mit Tapatalk 2
        Rockchip RK3288/RK3368 work great with Mediacodec.
        But will have to wait for official Kodi to add HD Audio support.
        Rockchip's own Kodi works the best so far on their own devices, HD Audio, 3D MVC, 23.976 framerate fix.

Comment

Really?
          I use Kodi 16 beta 1 (20151119), all worked fine, BUT

When I watch mpeg2 within Mediacodec I have sound but a black screen
          but when I disable mediacodec I get sound and picture.

When I watch h264 without Mediacodec I get a asynchrony sound/picture
          but when I enable mediacodec then I get a fine sound/picture.

I depended from Kodi 16, because in it is the new pvr-engine with a lot of recording-settings a'la WMC. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by heiko123 View Post
            Really?
            I use Kodi 16 beta 1 (20151119), all worked fine, BUT

When I watch mpeg2 within Mediacodec I have sound but a black screen
            but when I disable mediacodec I get sound and picture.

When I watch h264 without Mediacodec I get a asynchrony sound/picture
            but when I enable mediacodec then I get a fine sound/picture.

I depended from Kodi 16, because in it is the new pvr-engine with a lot of recording-settings a'la WMC. :-)
            In my own Kodi build, Rockchip Kodi plays h264 fine and mpeg2 plays in fullscreen also fine.
            I'm putting together a list of bugs for Rockchip so they can make the ultimate Kodi for Rockchip devices, just hope they take it into consideration.

Comment

Will try tvheadend client if work with your build, last time I test kodi and tvheadend client was problem with black playback, the problem was the RKlibstagefright, so fast i unchecked RKlibstagefright playback was good

Comment

Originally posted by mo123 View Post

In my own Kodi build, Rockchip Kodi plays h264 fine and mpeg2 plays in fullscreen also fine.
                I'm putting together a list of bugs for Rockchip so they can make the ultimate Kodi for Rockchip devices, just hope they take it into consideration.
                Can you share your kodi Build??

Tks

Comment

Originally posted by z1022 View Post
                  Can you share your kodi Build??

Tks
                  The custom Kodi will be build into my new HPH v1.2 ROM.

Comment

Working...
                  X