X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R89-Hardware/Thermal/case issue feedback here

Originally posted by florfilla19 View Post
    Hi,

I just got my R89 Beelink few days ago, so I soon updated with the 111k4110_1219 firmware.
    I connected this one on port 1 of my screen TV TCL LED U40S7606DS 4K UHD
    But this is what I see when going to screen setting on the R89 beelink:

Very disappointed, I thought I could use the 60Hz but it is not available only 30Hz is available from the menu when I'm using HDMI 2.0 ports on both sides.

Is there someone who already met you the same worries?
    Or is there same problem on a different 4K screen model with HDMI 2.0 port ?

Thank you for your help
    It's exactly the same for me. 4k, 60hz isn't given as an option. I've tried 2 different HDMI 2.0 cables and my TV is 4k 60hz compatible so it seems to be an issue with the box.

Comment

I think I may have a clue as to why some TV's don't output in 4k, 60hz.

I think its to do with the color depth? A lot of TV's today only do 4k,60hz (HDMI 2.0 lite, almost) at an 8bit colour depth. The RK3288 does 4k 60hz at a 10bit colour depth. This means an 8bit HDMI 2.0 TV would not work at 4k,60hz receiving a signal from an R89 which has 10bit depth. Most TV's now and in the future will have HDMI 2.0 with 10bit colour chips and most HDMI 2.0 devices such as 4k blu ray's will output in 10bit colour.
      This seems to be one of the problems with being an early 4k TV buyer, you don't see what's coming out in the future and end up with a TV that is virtually obsolete when 4k becomes mainstream and is standardised.

PS,4k @30hz is horrible with screen tearing and poor performance.
      Last edited by Batfink32; 01-16-2015, 13:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Batfink32 View Post
        I think I may have a clue as to why some TV's don't output in 4k, 60hz.

I think its to do with the color depth? A lot of TV's today only do 4k,60hz (HDMI 2.0 lite, almost) at an 8bit colour depth. The RK3288 does 4k 60hz at a 10bit colour depth. This means an 8bit HDMI 2.0 TV would not work at 4k,60hz receiving a signal from an R89 which has 10bit depth. Most TV's now and in the future will have HDMI 2.0 with 10bit colour chips and most HDMI 2.0 devices such as 4k blu ray's will output in 10bit colour.
        This seems to be one of the problems with being an early 4k TV buyer, you don't see what's coming out in the future and end up with a TV that is virtually obsolete when 4k becomes mainstream and is standardised.

PS,4k @30hz is horrible with screen tearing and poor performance.
        Thank you for clarification.
        Could someone confirm there is no limitation of R89 by providing a screenshot of settings menu 4k @ 60hz ?

There is two chips on the motherboard of my 4K TV Sil 9679 and Sil 9687

No further information from the manufacturer about the ability of the Sil 9679 to support 10 bit.
        Is this a dream or an update can bring this support in the future?

Many thanks
        Beelink R89 2/16GB Version PCB 3.0
        Stock Firmware 111K4110_1219
        Output: TCL U40S7606DS

Comment

Re: R89-Hardware/Thermal/case issue feedback here

Originally posted by florfilla19 View Post
          Thank you for clarification.
          Could someone confirm there is no limitation of R89 by providing a screenshot of settings menu 4k @ 60hz ?

There is two chips on the motherboard of my 4K TV Sil 9679 and Sil 9687

No further information from the manufacturer about the ability of the Sil 9679 to support 10 bit.
          Is this a dream or an update can bring this support in the future?

Many thanks
          I found this on the Open Chameleon website about how the rk3288 only supports 10bit 4k 60hz (RGB444/YUV444) and not 8bit 4k 60hz (YUV420). My TV only has 4k60hz 8bit and does not show 4k60hz support on the Beelink box. If your TV does not have 10bit support then it cannot be updated by software as the 8 or 10bit chip is hardwired into the TV motherboard. I'm not sure if the Rk3288 can be updated with software to support 8bit 4k60hz but I don't think it can.

Manufacturers need to make people more aware of this as I only found out by doing quite a few hours of research.

Comment

hmmm, Sil9679
            It has been some discussion about the HDMI 2.0 vs. 1.4 in this thread –
            Today I google translated a french Review, with a interested part that puts some light on it:
            "I still wanted to make sure of the presence of a true HDMI 2.0 interface, and actually, I find two HDMI 2.0 interfaces Silicon Image Sil9679, able to manage 4-60 im / s 4:4:4 and 10 bits, but also 12-bit 4K 24p, 3D 1080-60 im / sec 1080p 120 im / s. Each interface allows only one HDMU connector, we found two assigned to the HDMI 1 and 2, but there is also a HDMI 1.4 interface assigned to connectors 3 and 4. Clearly, it will therefore focus connectors 1 and 2 for 4K."
            (the text is google translated!)

What is interesting is that, if the same chip is on the samsung which has an option per manual/menu to activate "uhd color" 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 then:
            1- samsung does not really have hardware capability and is simply downsampling or
            2 - both sony and samsung can do it, but sony has not enabled via software yet
            RK3288 Devices
            - Overview BOX (LINK !)
            - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
            UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
            Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
            Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
            Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

I start a new thread for/about 4K@60

@oman: any needful information? Please post it also there. Thanks!
              RK3288 Devices
              - Overview BOX (LINK !)
              - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
              UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
              Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
              Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
              Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

I've read some PC websites that say they had to update drivers in order to display 4k60hz at 8bit colour. So it's maybe a driver thing. I don't know.

Comment

I wanted to test a SDCARD with linux using 4.4 kernel but have no luck until know (with 3.10 kernel version works ok). I use it with both parameter file and kernel image and also with boot image with extlink.conf.
                  I know in other embedded boxes you can attach a uart to usb cable in order to view the boot messages using a terminal. I think this is valid also for this box, however the information on the net are multiple. So
                  1. The connection should be made to the 4 holes near the maskrom resetting pins, or connecting the 3 soldering points (without holes) on the back of the board. like in post #1.?
                  2. Are there any parameters in order to instruct the boot to print messages, or this is done automatically, and there is no need for any parameters?
                  I hope to find answer why the screen remain black with any firmware that contained mainline kernel.

Thank You very much.

Comment

Originally posted by spon901 View Post
                    I wanted to test a SDCARD with linux using 4.4 kernel but have no luck until know (with 3.10 kernel version works ok). I use it with both parameter file and kernel image and also with boot image with extlink.conf.
                    I know in other embedded boxes you can attach a uart to usb cable in order to view the boot messages using a terminal. I think this is valid also for this box, however the information on the net are multiple. So
                    1. The connection should be made to the 4 holes near the maskrom resetting pins, or connecting the 3 soldering points (without holes) on the back of the board. like in post #1.?
                    2. Are there any parameters in order to instruct the boot to print messages, or this is done automatically, and there is no need for any parameters?
                    I hope to find answer why the screen remain black with any firmware that contained mainline kernel.

Thank You very much.
                    You should look on Firefly wiki pages for help on running Linux 4.4 kernels on RK3288.
                    You will get no help here as no one has attempted it on a R89.

Comment

Thank you very much for answer. I'll put a question on Firefly forum regarding 4.4 kernel. However regarding boot messages should I put wires to 3 out of 4 holes (TX RX and GND) near the MASK ROM pads or conneccent the wires to the pads on the back board like in first post of this thread. Also are there any command line commands that need to be putted in parameter file in order to activate debug on serial or not ?

Thank You very much.

Comment

Working...
                      X