Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firmware - RK3288

Hey guys,

I have a few boxes, I just started testing out the RK devices and so far it's not looking good. I never have issues with the amlogics.

I have here a few RK3288s, Mali-T764 Cortex-A17 boxes from bluetimes. These guys have the worst support and disappear quite often.

All of them have the same exact symptoms, the remote control when navigating the Android main menu is extremely slow and sluggish. It took me 20 mins just to type a wifi password. You have to click the same letter or character 100 times before it inputs. Eventually I got in to Kodi and surprisingly, I'm able to navigate extremely fast through kodi and the add ons, very responsive within milliseconds which was a plus but every music feed or video playback was horrid, lots of skipping, freezing up, stutters, frames freezing and hiccuping, etc. I saw the strangest thing in the world, the equalizer blocks when playing music was spinning out of control, slow, fast spinning, was extremely awkward. I'm not sure if it's the box or Kodi in general bc I've never witnessed such behavior. Personally, I don't install Kodi on any machine, I feel even the stable release is unstable. Gothan 13.2 is rock solid on every box I've programmed.

Anyway, with all the issues I'm having, I would like to look for a new firmware which can hopefully fix these up with a nice android simplistic launcher. I can then install 13.2 gotham on it and give it another whirl.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ddzc; 02-13-2015, 02:03.

Originally posted by ddzc View Post
    Hey guys,

I have a few boxes, I just started testing out the RK devices and so far it's not looking good. I never have issues with the amlogics.

I have here a few RK3288s, Mali-T764 Cortex-A17 boxes from bluetimes. These guys have the worst support and disappear quite often.

All of them have the same exact symptoms, the remote control when navigating the Android main menu is extremely slow and sluggish. It took me 20 mins just to type a wifi password. You have to click the same letter or character 100 times before it inputs. Eventually I got in to Kodi and surprisingly, I'm able to navigate extremely fast through kodi and the add ons, very responsive within milliseconds which was a plus but every music feed or video playback was horrid, lots of skipping, freezing up, stutters, frames freezing and hiccuping, etc. I saw the strangest thing in the world, the equalizer blocks when playing music was spinning out of control, slow, fast spinning, was extremely awkward. I'm not sure if it's the box or Kodi in general bc I've never witnessed such behavior. Personally, I don't install Kodi on any machine, I feel even the stable release is unstable. Gothan 13.2 is rock solid on every box I've programmed.

Anyway, with all the issues I'm having, I would like to look for a new firmware which can hopefully fix these up with a nice android simplistic launcher. I can then install 13.2 gotham on it and give it another whirl.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    For xbmc/kodi, you should install SPMC instead, it;s tailored for the RK3288 chip better optimized. 14.1 is the latest and there's a thread exclusively to it on this forum. For the remote, I personally don't use it, it's slow and impractical.

If you can, get an k400 keyboard from logitech. It's a keyboard but instead of a numpad on the right, it has a touchpad similar to those on laptops. The remote becomes even more useless when you install custom firmware.

Wasser's firmware currently is solid and smooth when it comes to video playback. I'm using the Tronsmart R28 Meta version and I'm enjoying it. The stock firmware on these machines isn't all that great. The problem with custom firmware is you lose the ability to use the remote if you're using a tronsmart r28 device due to them not providing the driver the IR remote.

Comment

:
      Any recommendations?
      :
      Yes, use boxes with netxeon (Tronsmart, UBOX, Beelink) or t-chip (Ugoos UT3(s), HPH) pcb and forget the HTC pcb's...
      And last but not least in the future you should better have a look at this forum before you buy boxes...
      RK3288 Devices
      - Overview BOX (LINK !)
      - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
      UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
      Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
      Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
      Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Maybe have a look at http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...I-AP6330-works!
        RK3288 Devices
        - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
        Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
        Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
        Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Well, yesterday I went back to the manuf and they provided me with a new firmware. I flashed, exact same problems as I mentioned in the thread.

I listened to the feedback on here, installed wassers firmware and SPMC (Gotham). It ran perfect, streamed some games, I streamed an entire movie perfect but then the old symptoms came right back again! All of my playbacks and videos began to hiccup. I tried multiple add ons, sources, etc, same thing. I hooked up my s805 amlogic, same wireless internet, gotham 13.2 and tested the exact same sources and streams and it worked flawlessly on the amlogic. Is there any settings or tweaks I can make?

I noticed in the other thread about the remote and the led in the front. Is there any way to get it working at all? Am I able to use any air mouse or remote with a usb receiver on this? The led isn't a huge concern.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice launcher, 3d or a clean 2d launcher.

I remember seeing one similar to the below, had xbmc on the far big left button, then apps, settings, etc

Thanks all!
          Last edited by ddzc; 02-14-2015, 04:41.

Comment

I have the mk902ii works fine no spam nor all the HTC no good some work fine. It's finding manufactures willing to support thier proproduct is allways the biggest issue. Kinda same for all these boxes.
            Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Try the Wasser rom this thread? See if better luck with that one.
              Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Honestly, same symptoms with 3 different roms, I don't think it's the firmware any more. Can it be an hdmi or video settings in android or spmc? Or anything else I can check or do?

Comment

Honestly, same symptoms with 3 different roms, I don't think it's the firmware any more. Can it be an hdmi or video settings in android or spmc? Or anything else I can check or do?
                  Do you talk about this symptoms?
                  :
                  I streamed an entire movie perfect but then the old symptoms came right back again! All of my playbacks and videos began to hiccup. I tried multiple add ons, sources, etc, same thing.
                  :
                  WiFi or LAN?

Have a look at

Also try to play local content via an USB HDD (for testing)

Last but not least test without installing to much other stuff to avoid effects by the other stuff...
                  RK3288 Devices
                  - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

I actually get stuttering and slowness even in the Android OS. So we can rule out firmware, kodi or xbmc, etc....there's something wrong hardware related. Initially, I thought the issue was firmware related.

In the Android OS, the mouse even freezes up every couple of seconds with movement.

I get the exact same problem with another RK3288 model from this one supplier. The Amlogics have no problem (M5 and M8). This is my first time testing out Rockchip based devices and so far I'm not liking them one bit.
                    Last edited by ddzc; 02-17-2015, 01:55.

Comment

I wish someone can get the Linux firmware from MK902II LE. I have a TV01II box, which is similar to this MK902II box. With the 8GB version, the Linux firmware should fit my TV01II.

This indicates it has a newer firmware from 2015:
                      http://www.cloudsto.com/products/linux-mini-pc-s/mk902ii-le-linux-edition-quad-core-a17-ubuntu-linux-mini-pc-8gb-flash-storage-detail.html

Comment

They sell the box as Linux so you won't see a copy of it anytime soon. Sad actually as it could be good for all.

Comment

Yes, the same story like at the rk3188 version, but I don't understand why there doesn't exist any flashable version (stock or someone who dumped it)... maybe to less sold devices?
                          RK3288 Devices
                          - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Working...
                          X