Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CS918 Plus

Hi,
    I searched all over internet about the device in the title but I couldn't find too many details, what problems does it have, etc. I think a RK3288 is the best choice for me and I'd like to buy one (from Geekbuying). Does someone know how it compares with CS918II ? (beside the fact that it has 5GHz wifi).
    Are other better choices ? They need to have at least 2 USB ports, external antenna, shutdown button ...and of course a good firmware support (to be used with Skype).

In my eyes the CS918II and CS918 Plus use the same PCB (motherboard) by HTC ...

If you want to use a box with good support (also here at the forum) you should have a look at devices with the TRN6A pcb by T-Chip (HPH and UGOOS UT3(s)) or with the pcb by netxeon (Tronsmart, Beelink, UBOX)...
    E.g. at the Tronsmart the only problem will be, if you use the wasser rom, that the IR doesn't work, BUT I have to say, forget the IR and buy a wireless mouse(air or touch)/keyboard (but via USB 2.4GHz dongle and not via BT)...

For more information have a look at my sig...
    RK3288 Devices
    - Overview BOX (LINK !)
    - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
    UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Thank you for the answer.
      Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
      For more information have a look at my sig...
      In fact I did (I read several posts on this forum) and now I have a better image of the problem. The thread http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...e-overview-box was really helpful as it gave me more details about what it's inside the box.

I want to use the TV box for light tasks: browsing, streaming FHD, some multitasking (skype and dropbox), copying photos from my camera, etc. For heavier tasks I can use my desktop or laptop.
      For the moment my conclusions are:
      • MK808 PLUS: initial thought, but I found it quite slow, several problems, etc.
      • CS918 PLUS RK3288: good performances and an acceptable price, but I found some pictures where the chipset is under the pcb board (problems with heat ?)
      • Tronsmart Orion R28 Pro RK3288: good price and it answers to my requests about usb ports, antenna. It may get hot but it's easier to install a radiator (more space than in CS918; the SoC is on top of the PCB)
      • UGOOS UT3S RK3288: really nice because it may run Ubuntu (or sort of it). Still, some people on this forum aren't so happy with the device: many bugs, etc.

So, I jumped the fence and I searched for windows based devices. Of course I found the:
      • PIPO X7 Intel Z3736F: which is a neat device. Some heating problems. Having both android and windows could be a good solution as I want to run skype (and on android there are many problems with the drivers for the webcam; I have a C525 webcam) and a SIP android app.
      • VOYO Z3735F: it's nicer, more space but no external antenna and no space for supplementary cooling.

Now I'm wondering if the VX2 Celeron J1900 isn't a better solution for me. I found that Rockchip RK3288 gives better results than Intel Atom Z3735F and on some website (cpuboss) Z3736F is presented as slightly better than Z3735F. The same website states that J1900 is slightly better than Z3736F. On cpubenchmark the Z3740 (I couldn't find Z3736F) has 1070 points whereas J1900 1896 points. On arkintel I found that Z3736F has a GPU running at around 313MHz/646MHz while J1900 at 688MHz/854MHz. It may look that J1900 is a better candidate. Also, it supports 8 GB RAM compared with Z3736F with only 2GB. I don't know about HD graphics from J1900 and how it compares with Mali-T764 and if the HDMI output on VX2 supports 1080p.

Comment

If Android and RK then I think the Tronsmart isn't a bad idea also because you can use wasser rom (meanwhile also Lubuntu available but at RK the GPU/VPU support isn't really well)...
        (btw: at your use there is no need for extra cooling)
        Because of the UT3S, I think the not fixed fan (because of bad glue) could be a problem...
        The audio problems at path through at some avr's and there sometimes the dropouts exists at every rk3288 device...

Now a little bit OT:
        Because of the Intel you should have a look at
        http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...sed-tv-players
        ( => http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...2-need-mini-pc
        => http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...sed-tv-players )
        and discuss it at that sub-forum...

BTW: Z3736F slightly better than Z3735F because of higher freq at "one core use", but the PiPo X7 needs to be modded because of overheat... I think GPU is a little bit more powerful at J1900... If I'm not wrong at Z3700 and Linux there are audio problems (via HDMI)...

RK3288 Devices
        - Overview BOX (LINK !)
        - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
        UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
        Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
        Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
        Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Working...
        X