Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RK3288 Kernel Patcher by Burs

At last.

For the past few days I've been coding my Kernel Patcher for RK3288 devices. Primarily it's for our HPH boxes (that's why I post in this subforum, and not in general RK3288), but I've also tested it with Ugoos firmwares, and it works just as good as with HPH kernels. The app is not limited only to these two, and it might work for other brands too, as long as kernel modifications and differences are not major ones. I would have tested those too, but I don't have the firmwares, and downloads can be hefty. If manufacturer kept good portion of stock Rockchip's kernel code, there's a big chance it will work with it too.

Basicaly, this app "removes" (effectively) the CPU safety frequency limit by increasing it all the way up to the end of CPU frequency table, in other words pushing the CPU to the maximum it can really handle. The patching process is really simple: just provide a path to your kernel.img or boot.img, and the app will do the rest. Type something like this at command line prompt:

KernelPatcher.exe kernel.img

Without specifying the filename, you will get an info on how to use it. And make a kernel backup beforehand, because the input file will be overwritten with new CPU safety frequency (that occured to me just now lol - I could have added it, but forgot it - I will add it in v2).

I've tested the app with all kinds of kernels and boot images dated even 6 months ago, and it works just fine. Whether you're using HPH's original kernel, or mo's, or Finless', you name it, app will know how to patch it (even new HPH v1.4.5 and mo's v1.5). After patching is done, you can combine your new kernel with resource.img files from my other overclocked kernels. That way you will have up to date kernel with overclock capability (all my previous overclocked kernels are based on original HPH v1.4.1 kernel - not too old, but there are some bugs in it).

For those people who want to play with this even more, you can use my ResTool to unpack any of my previously overclocked resource.img, then convert DTB file to DTS with dtc.exe, change all the frequencies the way you like it, repack it with ResTool, and finally flash it back with AndroidTool. If you can't find dtc.exe on the internet, I can PM you the file because I don't remember were I downloaded it from. So, all in all, you need 4 tools: KernelPatcher, ResTool, AndroidTool and dtc.exe in order to flash your custom overclock, on Windows, without some expert knowledge. With emphasis on "no need for Linux" and out-of-this-world skills.

For any questions, bugs, and suggestions, shoot here, and I'll take a look at it.

And remember - all rules from my first overclocking post still apply!

Download links: MediaFire or Mega (source code also included)

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2015, 23:04.

I'm looking forward to checking this out. Gotta get my R89 back up and working properly again first.

Do you know if anyone has tested this on nextxeon kernels yet? I might. Dunno, been using hph kernel for a long time now on mine.

Mainly posting here to subscribe and catch the updates and discussion

Cheers,
    -SB
    ---------------------------------------
    Currently using U-BOX R89 with mo123 v1.6.
    Other android tv device - ADT-1 running latest PureNexus 6.0.1 MM and very impressed with the changes vs stock molly!
    Pipo M9S -- CrewRKTab custom rooted 4.4.2
    RCA Viking Pro 10 -- Custom stock rooted 5.1 by me <- FOR SALE
    ----------- ROM by me, the first way to update ZTE Force 4G from ICS to JB http://androidforums.com/threads/fin...om-ics.886408/

Comment

Originally posted by sawbones999 View Post
      Do you know if anyone has tested this on nextxeon kernels yet?
      I don't know. But I can check it out if you can upload it somewhere?
      Just send me the link to kernel and/or boot image (in case kernel is in boot.img).

Comment

Sure, I think I have the 111K beelink ROM (and Tronsmart if you want both) which I could pull the kernel from. I'll post back with a link or PM later.

Cheers,
        -SB
        ---------------------------------------
        Currently using U-BOX R89 with mo123 v1.6.
        Other android tv device - ADT-1 running latest PureNexus 6.0.1 MM and very impressed with the changes vs stock molly!
        Pipo M9S -- CrewRKTab custom rooted 4.4.2
        RCA Viking Pro 10 -- Custom stock rooted 5.1 by me <- FOR SALE
        ----------- ROM by me, the first way to update ZTE Force 4G from ICS to JB http://androidforums.com/threads/fin...om-ics.886408/

Comment

Excellent patcher.

I am on Mo123/s 1.5 ROM. Just to make two things clear before I dive in.

If I patch Mo123's kernel.img with your patcher, and flash back, my HPH will run with higher frequency as it need, but not overclocked.

If I need over-clock, I need to flash together with your RESOURCES.img from your overclock thread.

Is it correct?

Sorry for the newbie question.

Comment

Originally posted by chanzilla View Post
            If I patch Mo123's kernel.img with your patcher, and flash back, my HPH will run with higher frequency as it need, but not overclocked.
            Yes, you're right. After patching the kernel, you'll only have the overclocking potential, but your box still would not run overclocked.

If I need over-clock, I need to flash together with your RESOURCES.img from your overclock thread.
            Yes, this is the part where overclock comes into action. But please be aware that I only tested this on original HPH stock firmwares (patching is tested thoroughly on many kernels, but not the flashing itself!). User Bentalk reported to me via PM, that although he could patch mo's v1.5 kernel, his box wouldn't run after flashing my overclocked resource.img (v3.1). This should work and I don't see a reason why it shouldn't, except mo added some stuff into his resource.img file that the kernel depends on. I would have to test that in more detail, but I can't because I'm not at home for a few days. I would also appreciate some feedback with testing, because with all these different kernels lying around on the internet, it's a very tiresome and never-ending process.

EDIT: just got a PM from our forum member Bentalk. He's using resource.img from my overclocked kernel v3.1 ([email protected],ddr@792,gpu@625), together with patched v1.4.5 stock kernel.img inside mo's v1.5 firmware (that was mouthful lol). It works without problems, but ofcourse you will loose all mo's kernel feats and tweaks. This should be a "workaround" until I find some time to investigate the problem in more detail.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-16-2015, 11:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Burs View Post
              Yes, you're right. After patching the kernel, you'll only have the overclocking potential, but your box still would not run overclocked.

Yes, this is the part where overclock comes into action. But please be aware that I only tested this on original HPH stock firmwares (patching is tested thoroughly on many kernels, but not the flashing itself!). User Bentalk reported to me via PM, that although he could patch mo's v1.5 kernel, his box wouldn't run after flashing my overclocked resource.img (v3.1). This should work and I don't see a reason why it shouldn't, except mo added some stuff into his resource.img file that the kernel depends on. I would have to test that in more detail, but I can't because I'm not at home for a few days. I would also appreciate some feedback with testing, because with all these different kernels lying around on the internet, it's a very tiresome and never-ending process.

Thank you very much. My mind is much clear now.

One more silly question:
              If I patch Mo123's kernel, and run a CPU frequency control app, I can achieve CPU frequency control only, if that is all I want, but If I want RAM or GPU overclock, I need your overclock kernel. Right?

Comment

If I patch Mo123's kernel, and run a CPU frequency control app, I can achieve CPU frequency control only, if that is all I want, but If I want RAM or GPU overclock, I need your overclock kernel. Right?
                Yes and no

I see people are not clear with this whole patching and overclocking process. And I don't blame them, because even for me it was hard to wrap my head around it the first time I started to experiment with it.

Here is how it goes.

If you use original HPH firmware, which has both kernel and resources in boot.img (and they have priority over the ones that live outside of boot.img), then only boot.img should be modified. If you only want to overclock DDR and GPU, only resources with frequency tables are modified (but you must somehow repack boot.img with new resources). If you want to overclock CPU too, then the safety frequency limit must also be patched in order for the frequency from resources to have an effect.

If you use custom firmwares like mo's, they tend to have kernel and resources outside of boot.img. In this case, resources are easy to change since you don't have to repack boot.img like in the first case. But again, that way only DDR and GPU will be overclocked. In order the overclock the CPU too, you must patch the kernel with my app, so the CPU frequency from the resources takes effect.

As you can see, it's a little bit complicated. But it's doable, one way or another. So, if you want to overclock your CPU, using kernel patcher is a must. Otherwise, the system will report CPU is clocked at higher frequency, when in fact it is not. If you only want to overclock DDR/GPU, you must only change resource.img file.

I hope you get a clear picture now.
                Just think twice before every action, and everything will be fine

Comment

Originally posted by Burs View Post
                  Yes and no

I see people are not clear with this whole patching and overclocking process. And I don't blame them, because even for me it was hard to wrap my head around it the first time I started to experiment with it.

Here is how it goes.

If you use original HPH firmware, which has both kernel and resources in boot.img (and they have priority over the ones that live outside of boot.img), then only boot.img should be modified. If you only want to overclock DDR and GPU, only resources with frequency tables are modified (but you must somehow repack boot.img with new resources). If you want to overclock CPU too, then the safety frequency limit must also be patched in order for the frequency from resources to have an effect.

If you use custom firmwares like mo's, they tend to have kernel and resources outside of boot.img. In this case, resources are easy to change since you don't have to repack boot.img like in the first case. But again, that way only DDR and GPU will be overclocked. In order the overclock the CPU too, you must patch the kernel with my app, so the CPU frequency from the resources takes effect.

As you can see, it's a little bit complicated. But it's doable, one way or another. So, if you want to overclock your CPU, using kernel patcher is a must. Otherwise, the system will report CPU is clocked at higher frequency, when in fact it is not. If you only want to overclock DDR/GPU, you must only change resource.img file.

I hope you get a clear picture now.
                  Just think twice before every action, and everything will be fine

Wow. Thanks a million for all the explanation. I learn a lot from this.
                  As a result, I will take your advice and think twice before patching and overclocking my HPH. In fact, Mo123 or Nagrace Stock ROM both can run pretty stable and rock solid for me at the moment, without patching or overclocking. 3D games have some minor glitches and lag but acceptable. Still the most powerful Android Box at the moment.

Comment

Just to be clear, I don't want to change and/or recompile anyone's work. Sure, that would be the easiest and zero-free issue process, as everything would work like it should out of the box immediately after flashing the whole thing. So I work with original sources and firmwares, and only post links to modifed files needed for the overclocking to take effect. That way it's a little bit harder to do all the modifications by yourself, but if one have even little experience with such subjects, he could do it with a little bit of effort. Just post your questions here, I would be happy to help anyone.

Comment

This is very useful,
                      thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X