Recommendation: Update your devices inside a VM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendation: Update your devices inside a VM

Just a heads up for anyone who is about to update or install a new ROM on their device.

Use a virtual machine to install the tools and drivers, alot of them from third parties and unknown sources and theres no guarantee how it will effect the performance of your machine after installation.

update:

1. VMWare Workstation
    2. Virtual Box (Has USB 3.0 problems)
    Last edited by adam8bit; 12-01-2014, 14:43.
    Ugoos RK3288 - Running Linux and Android.

Looking for a mini pc that support Hardware Acceleration in Linux.

Why installing VM and installing a OS at it and maybe get trouble with the connection between Host OS and Guest OS at the USB-Port?

Use XP PE (I thinking google will help to find it), download the iso, place the iso with e.g. http://www.isotousb.com/ at a USB-Pen-Drive and boot your system from the USB-Pen-Drive, install the drivers and so on and use it the not really often moments you want to flash a box...
    Ok, if you have access to the other disks at the system you can't avoid an attack to it, but a good virus-scanner also at the USB-Pen-Drive could also help to avoid this problem

BTW: these images are also available with e.g. w7...
    RK3288 Devices
    - Overview BOX (LINK !)
    - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
    UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Yes, sometimes there are problems with Guest > Host USB. On my configuration I have a Intel chipset i7, and USB works fine if I use VMware.

The other day I tried using the open source Virtual Box however there are some known problems with USB , specifically if you have USB 3.0 ports like me.

Thanks for mentioning , its quite important.
      Last edited by adam8bit; 12-01-2014, 14:33.

Comment

Rockchip flash tools take less than 10MB space, don't think it can cause any performance issue on any PC as it's a standalone app and doesn't install anything on your system apart from the drivers.
        Also scanned with several Anti-virus apps and nothing picked up.

Don't know about other manufacturers.

The biggest thread is installing ROM's from unknown sources and the stock apps that get bundled inside these ROM's that run as system/root in the background and is hidden from normal users. They can't be uninstalled unless the ROM is rooted and you use a 'system app remover' app.
        That's why it's important to install an Antivirus app on your Android device.

Comment

Rockchip tools are stand-alone and don't require installation. The drivers on the other hand do.

Over the life of developing and testing, I find my system has always dragged after installing the dev tools . So now as a precautionary step I use VM's for third party untrusted sources.

Sometimes a VM is not suitable because of performance or other requirements but its good practice where ever you can .

Comment

Originally posted by adam8bit View Post
            Rockchip tools are stand-alone and don't require installation. The drivers on the other hand do.

Over the life of developing and testing, I find my system has always dragged after installing the dev tools . So now as a precautionary step I use VM's for third party untrusted sources.

Sometimes a VM is not suitable because of performance or other requirements but its good practice where ever you can .
            Yes, for developing sometimes better to use several VMs and leave your host system clean. Untrusted/unchecked drivers can do things that you can not even imagine. Suffice it to recall the story about drivers for the FTDI chip converters. New versions of these drivers, broke fake chips (fake chips produced by some chinese companies).

However, I don't think that all of this relates to the drivers and utilities Rockchip.

Comment

Working...
            X