Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XBMC for Linux side of dual-boot firmware ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XBMC for Linux side of dual-boot firmware ??

I have yet to find an XBMC package that will run under Ubuntu 14.10, which is the Linux os of the dual-boot firmware. The Ubuntu Software-Center shows a 13.1 version, but it does not install due to "unmet dependencies".

I managed to install a 13.1 using apt-get from CLI after much tinkering with the PPA sources. It appeared to install clean, but would not start from the default desktop.

Having a workable XBMC on the Linux side would allow one to run always-on file/media servers while using this thing as a TV set-top-box, which is what it was designed for. The Ugoos marketing and developer teams ought not overlook this missing function.

Has anyone pulled this trick off ??????
    Last edited by 1coyote; 01-25-2015, 05:36.

btw: If I'm not wrong, without any VPU support at Linux, KODI at Linux makes no sense...
    RK3288 Devices
    - Overview BOX (LINK !)
    - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
    UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

XBMC for Linux side of dual-boot firmware

Originally posted by mo123
      For RK3066, only OPENGL GLES was needed for GPU to playback 720p videos in Linux XBMC on Picuntu.
      So better GPU or full VPU support can be used.
      Rockchip did make some changes to VPU code in ChromeOS kernel 3.14 recently, so hopefully that can be backported to 3.10 kernels in the future.
      So these changes are dependent on Rockchip? I'd much rather have Ugoos in the driver's seat. Is there anything they could do to speed the development of this capability - running XBMC on the Linux/server side of a dual-boot TVbox would really extend its market appeal, IMHO.

Comment

The main problem is ARM, the (?most of the?) code for the MALI-drivers is NonPublic (if I'm not wrong also NP to RockChip), so that's why there exist reverse engineering at the MALI 400 but only GPU (3D) and not VPU (my last information, but maybe meanwhile???)....
        RK3288 Devices
        - Overview BOX (LINK !)
        - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
        UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
        Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
        Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
        Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

XBMC | Kodi on a Linux server

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
          The main problem is ARM, the (?most of the?) code for the MALI-drivers is NonPublic (if I'm not wrong also NP to RockChip), so that's why there exist reverse engineering at the MALI 400 but only GPU (3D) and not VPU (my last information, but maybe meanwhile???)....
          Gosh - what a tangled web has been woven for us! What I am ultimately looking for is Linux firmware that can run a full Debian/Ubuntu distro acting as an always-on server, while also running uptodate XBMC/Kodi. The added candy of Android would be nice but not necessary. It initially looked like the rk3288 UT-3 would do it, but from what you are saying no_spam, not for awhile and maybe never. Looks like back to multiple machines, but I really like the elegance of one, and the horsepower of the 3288 would certainly handle the tasks. "Close, but no cigar."

Comment

Originally posted by mo123
            Mali T764 3D Acceleration working in Linux
            Still in early stages.
            http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/01/...comment-337072
            This project seems to be heating up! It should, given we are still in early stages of rk3288 dev. And the Firefly dev board looks to be a boon the 3288 across the board(s). This just showed up today in Freaktab by adam8bit (may be the very development you reference... It is!) :Maybe not much longer and I'll have my golden fleece of a Linux always-on TVbox/server that also runs XBMC!

Comment

Working...
            X