A Case Mod that isn't a Case Mod....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Case Mod that isn't a Case Mod....

I can almost hear the laughter now. I know it may be perceived as ridiculous.
    The reduction in temps don't make me laugh, but they do make me smile.

For starters, other than removing the top, no mods were made to the UT3, it's case or top.
    I am not using the UT3's fan circuit, as I wanted to be able to exceed the 5 volts@100ma(modded max) provided by the UT3's fan header. The fan I used is about 70ma@5vdc. Plus, I'm keeping the original fan in place in the event of the big fan's failure(only reason the UT3's fan would ever turn on). Later I might make a PWM thermal controller for fan speed control and power it independently from the UT3. The fan is a 12 volt type, 120mm x 25mm. I also plan to extend the UT3's rubber feet(might use 4 suction cups instead) to give a little more room for air to enter the bottom. But truthfully, it works fine just the way it is, I can hardly justify more effort.

This is of course, a rough prototype. It works great, but I want to improve the appearance a bit. I saw a fan on the net that was 120mm x 15mm, The lower profile might improve the looks(though it looks better than it does in the pic). The Grill was cut from a 6.5" perforated metal car speaker grill. Careful working with that perforated metal. It will cut you if you look at it wrong! Just ask my thumb. I didn't even know I was cut until I noticed blood on the grill and fan chassis.
    Anyway, I also need to do a little finish work on the fan chassis and grill(file, sand, paint).
    The fan is drawing air out/up. Though it works slightly better blowing down, the difference is very little and I wanted to discourage dust from entering the UT3.
    A ridiculous mod and maybe even a little goofy looking. But a big fan turning low rpm, results in great cooling and virtually no noise at 5 volts. Barely any noise at 9 volts. What noise it does produce is not as distracting as a faster turning fan. At 9 volts, it's more of a softly whispered "whuuuuh" sound than a higher pitched "whirring". Even at very low-volume listening levels, the fan is not audible to the audience. Most of the noise comes from the grill. I was reluctant to use the multi-ring grill usually used with this type of fan. The risk of FOD was too great, though that grill was quieter.

Through several runs of Antutu and it's stability and video tests, temps briefly(2-4 seconds) peak at 52C, but most of the time during testing, temps were about 48C. It idles about 30-34C. Playing Big Buck Bunny 1080p several times never saw temps over 38C. Cool down to idle temps is very rapid, 30-40 seconds or less. Room temp was approx. 22.2C(72F). Temps shown were indicated by the UT3's temp display. Antutu score was 38097.

BTW I am glad I opened the UT3, as evidently, the fan had come loose during shipping. When I received the UT3, I thought I heard something rattle around when I took it out of it's box. After unpacking the rest of the box, I picked up the UT3 and gave it a little jiggle and heard nothing, I assumed I had heard the rattle in error. Turns out the fan had come loose but had re-stuck itself on one corner and far out of alignment. Heatsink seemed misaligned too, but still covered the CPU.

O.K. Let the ridicule begin.....

Last edited by RISCy Dude; 04-07-2015, 03:27. Reason: Increase font size

You crazy XD Thanks for you work =)
    Official Ugoos firmwares with linux you can find here.
    Official Ugoos firmwares for UT2/UM2 and UT1 you can find here.
    Sorry for my english XD

Comment

@RISCy Dude,
      How did you pop the top cover without damaging the edges? I tried to wedge a guitar pic but no go. Thanks.

Comment

Start at the rear, while squeezing the rear corners gently together, you should be able to insert the guitar pick in the center of the rear. Once in, start working towards the corners, then around the box. You will find it easier after you do it once.
        Good luck. If you need additional assistance, let us know.

Comment

Squeezing the corners did it for me. Thanks RISCy Dude!

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherOne View Post
            Squeezing the corners did it for me. Thanks RISCy Dude!
            Glad you got it open. What are you going to do while you're in there?

Comment

I was thinking of adding more vent holes to the sides and to the bottom for better air flow. I also have a tiny blow fan that I want to fix as an exhaust, then swap out the heat sink for a slightly larger one so that it covers the RAM chips completely and while there apply some better tim paste like IC diamond for better heat transfer.

The plan is to have a factory look but I may go overboard with something a bit more ridiculous.

Comment

Cool. Just make sure if you use one large heatsink, that the mem and CPU are the same height. Maybe some smaller heatsinks for the mem will give you more flexibility.
                Please keep us posted on the mods.
                Cheers
                Last edited by RISCy Dude; 10-13-2015, 01:28.

Comment

Working...
                X