Bricked (or dead?) UT3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bricked (or dead?) UT3

Somewhere along the line while attempting to upgrade the firmware to the linux v0.3.0, my UT3 bricked. The blue light never came on (after unplugging/replugging with/without holding reset button, pressing the side power button, pressing/holding side button, using the remote power button) nor did the (tiny) fan ever turn. So of course the device was never recognized by the firmware upgrade tool.

Is there some standard method to unbrick? Or, given the absence of any signs of life (the bottom of the case was warm, however) is my UT3 just plain dead?

Originally posted by 1coyote View Post
    Somewhere along the line while attempting to upgrade the firmware to the linux v0.3.0, my UT3 bricked. The blue light never came on (after unplugging/replugging with/without holding reset button, pressing the side power button, pressing/holding side button, using the remote power button) nor did the (tiny) fan ever turn. So of course the device was never recognized by the firmware upgrade tool.

Is there some standard method to unbrick? Or, given the absence of any signs of life (the bottom of the case was warm, however) is my UT3 just plain dead?
    What update method were/are you using?
    Does your PC not recognize the Ugoos?

Comment

I installed the RK DriverAssitant and used the Android Tool to install the firmware, but the tool never recognized any device as plugged in. I hve upgraded the firmware earlier without difficulty, but this is first time the blue power light has not come on. That, I believe, is the root problem. Yet the bottom of box is warm, so at least some part of the power supply is working.

Comment

Out of curiosity, have you tried an SD card update or to boot to the SD bootable Linux version? Go here for SD booting info and files. More info here
        There is maskrom, though I cannot help you with that. Others here can. I think others have experienced your problem. You can look here, here and here for some info. Be careful, seek help on the matter if you need more info.
        I hope you can get it going. I would not give up hope yet.
        Good luck.

Comment

Also check your power supply. If available for testing, try a different power supply. Make sure that any you try have the correct tip polarity, voltage and a current of at least 2.5 amps(if using a 2.5 amp, unplug USB devices)..
          Might want to uninstall the Rockchip USB driver, then reinstall.
          These are shots-in-the-dark, hopefully someone with more experience than I, will weigh in.

Comment

Last but not least http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...505#post418505
            RK3288 Devices
            - Overview BOX (LINK !)
            - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
            UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
            Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
            Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
            Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Hello 1coyote, Did you get your UT3 working?

Comment

Originally posted by RISCy Dude View Post
                Hello 1coyote, Did you get your UT3 working?
                Tried all the above suggestions (thanks so much for the concern!) including SD card image, but it never booted, the fan never turned, the power light never lit up. Assumed it was terminally dead.

Went ahead and ordered a UT3S from Gearbest (I must be hooked on the promise the rk3288 offers in a TV box.) but in keeping with my track record, the fan was knocking around inside when I opened the package. I thought the repair would be simple, which it was, so I opened up to lid and fixed it. However, the darn thing never booted up - maybe the loose fan behaved as a loose canon aboard ship and wreaked havoc. Whatever... I sent it back to Gearbest at a cost to me of another 24USD (sic!) But they were kind enough to ship me a replacement before receiving the return. Have not yet received.

A note to Sam Ugoos: be aware of the high penalty the out-of-China customers pay for poor quality control. The product may be a good one, but only if it works!

Comment

I also received my Ugoos UT3S with loose fan inside. Sure was banging with other components. It is noted that the design of the motherboard was not taken into account the attachment of the fan. The fan had been subject only two points silicone, one on a chip on the motherboard. A disaster of grip. Luckily it did not damage any other components on the motherboard because the device works. I have improved the collation him without having to paste the ventidador on any chip.

Comment

Finally received received replacement from Gearbest - I was wrong about their shipping before receiving my return. This one worked , but given the ongoing lack of Linux video driver support for the rk3288 thus inability to run XBMC/Kodi, I gave up on my project and bought an Intel based HP Stream Mini - not much more expensive than the UT3S. Of course the Intel chip runs Linux just fine and with full video support for Kodi.

Now, just recently MAC_L1 finally cracked the code in July and developed an image with a running Kodi for the UT3S and other 3288's! Finally...

Comment

Now, just recently MAC_L1 finally cracked the code in July and developed an image with a running Kodi for the UT3S and other 3288's! Finally...
                      I'm glad to learn you are finally getting some use from your UT3S. It is unfortunate that you had so many difficulties. You may have more patience than I do.
                      MAC_L has certainly made a very nice contribution to 3288 owners. Ugoos has released 15.04, hopefully one day the MAC_L bit will be merged with it.

I'd sure like to know what happened to your original box.
                      Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by RISCy Dude View Post
                        MAC_L has certainly made a very nice contribution to 3288 owners.
                        IMO, that vastly undersells what MAC has done. With media streaming becoming what it is, the appetite for Linux-based systems, and the role Kodi/XBMC has and is playing, opening up the rk3288 to this market is a huge contribution to both Rockchip, Ugoos, and all others who make use of and use this chip. He should be on their paid staff!

As for my first box, my guess is that I somehow fried/locked up the power supply circuit. And it's because of the support this Ugoos community (including yourself) gives to rk3288 users, that I came back for more. My loyalty was finally vindicated by MACK_L1's heroic contribution.

Comment

IMO, that vastly undersells what MAC has done. With media streaming becoming what it is, the appetite for Linux-based systems, and the role Kodi/XBMC has and is playing, opening up the rk3288 to this market is a huge contribution to both Rockchip, Ugoos, and all others who make use of and use this chip. He should be on their paid staff!
                          Point taken. When you consider he accomplished what no company had been able to do. Even the SoC's maker did not or could not do it.
                          ​I did see he threw some credit to Ugoos(Ava) for helping to get the UT3S version out. So kudos to Ugoos for working with users.
                          Freaktab member peba is well steeped in Linux on ARM, he has a nice blog. You may want to look at his section on the Ugoos boxes.
                          Freaktab member bragma also seems to be well versed on Linux.

I wish we were geographically close, I'd like to examine your original box.

Thanks for you kind words.
                          Regards.

Comment

Give me an address in a pm and I'll ship it to you.

Comment

Give me an address in a pm and I'll ship it to you.
                              I sent you a PM,did you get it?

Comment

Working...
                              X