UGOOS UT3S to ubuntu (dual boot) or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UGOOS UT3S to ubuntu (dual boot) or not

Just got my UGOOS UT3S (black edition with 2gb RAM) what are the advantage to setup dual boot?
    UBUNTU, i never used it before and there no easy way to setup dual boot without risking briking the UT3S.
    Use only as TVbox with KODI 15 to watch HBO and other premium tv chanel and movies not available on local cable (up here in Canada).
    Presently my UT3S single boot on android.
    What are the pros and cons to dual boot?
    Thanks

If you would like to try Ubuntu without committing to installing it. There is an SD bootable version from Ugoos that runs from the card. Here is the version for the UT3S. It should not affect your existing installation. Ugoos has instructions for making the card.
    Hardware acceleration is not available under Linux with the RK3288 yet, but it is being worked on. Specifically good progress is being made by MAC_L1.
    If you are unfamiliar with Linux, you may not find it all the that useful. Still, the bootable version might be fun to try.
    I'm not running dual-boot now, but I installed it before. I did not see the risk in doing so. It went well.
    I have the UT3 2GB/16GB model, For the sake of not dividing up the on-board storage, I prefer the bootable SD version when I want to use or play with Ubuntu.

Welcome to Freaktab and the Ugoos community.
    Have fun!
    Last edited by RISCy Dude; 07-17-2015, 04:33.

Comment

I don't think you risk to brick your device. Even if it does not boot up anymore, you can always connect it with the USB OTG cable and restore it from scracth using the "AndroidTool".

Comment

Thank you both for the infos, i might give it a try later.
        So basically it is a different operating system (Ubuntu) where i will have to install KODI again, so is it faster with ubuntu or does it have more options/less bugs?

Comment

Originally posted by Captnflex View Post
          Thank you both for the infos, i might give it a try later.
          So basically it is a different operating system (Ubuntu) where i will have to install KODI again, so is it faster with ubuntu or does it have more options/less bugs?
          Kodi is not included in the Xubuntu image and it's not possible to install it manually in Xubuntu image for UT3S.
          You have to use the Xubuntu test image from user Mac_L1 that has GPU drivers and libhybris drivers that makes it possible for Kodi to run.
          Only a few people got the image to test out before the final version is released to the public.

SPMC beta 2 on Android still works the best so far.
          But Kodi on Linux on RK3288 when fully optimized will offer some more options and be able to use some PC only apps together with it, which is not possible on Android.
          Ubuntu as an operating system has more features than Android, as you can run full PC applications like Office, Internet Browsing, Window support whereas Android runs apps only fullscreen.
          Ubuntu is more optimized for productive work and multimedia whereas Android is more TV UI friendly and has more small games and app support.

Comment

Working...
          X