Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wi-Fi Access Point mode using hostapd

Hi,
    I need to use my UT3S as an access point. Has anyone managed to make hostapd work on this device? I'm even wondering if the RK3288 chipset supports Master mode at all...

Found this, look for the section "CHECKING WIFI CARD SUPPORT". I don't know if it applies to ARM derivatives. I am not fluent in Linux, so not sure it will help.

Comment

Hi,
      I've checked the site but it is not suitable for our devices. Thanks!

Comment

I'll quit trying when someone else jumps in, or sooner if I'm bugging you.
        Anyway, I saw this over at the Radxa Rock2(RK3288/AP6335) site. My guess is you have already seen it. This was translated from the Firefly 3288 site.
        OK. I'll get out of here now.
        Good luck.

Comment

Hi,
          with some luck I've found a link to a chinese page explaining how to enable AP for Firefly-RK3288 and with the help of google translate I've managed to make it work. Basically, it seems that a specific wifi firmware with support for AP needs to be uploaded. The firmware is not the same specified in the web page, but the procedure is the same. I'll also check the links you kindly posted and find the easiest minimal setup. I'll report here once done.

Thanks again!

Comment

I'm back on this, i.e. switching between "client" and "access point" modes using hostapd. I've managed to make it work, with with some problems here and there.

To enter AP (Master) mode:

Code:
            sudo nmcli radio wifi off
            sudo su -c "echo 2 > /sys/module/bcmdhd/parameters/op_mode"
            sudo nmcli radio wifi on
            sudo ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.1 up
            sudo hostapd -d /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
            ... also need to configure a DHCP server here...
            To switch back to "client" mode:

Code:
            sudo nmcli radio wifi off
            sudo su -c "echo 0 > /sys/module/bcmdhd/parameters/op_mode"
            sudo nmcli radio wifi on
            sudo nmcli con up id euvic
            Now, the problems. When in AP mode, it seems that network-manacer can't scan the network:

Code:
            ugoos@Ugoos_box:~$ sudo nmcli dev wifi
            *  SSID  MODE  CHAN  RATE  SIGNAL  BARS  SECURITY
            ugoos@Ugoos_box:~$ sudo nmcli dev wifi rescan
            ugoos@Ugoos_box:~$ sudo nmcli dev wifi
            *  SSID  MODE  CHAN  RATE  SIGNAL  BARS  SECURITY
            The driver reports an error:

Code:
            Jul 30 14:43:27 Ugoos_box kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) __wl_cfg80211_scan : Invalid Scan Command at SoftAP mode
            Jul 30 14:43:27 Ugoos_box kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_scan : scan error (-22)
            It seems that the driver can't scan while in AP mode, BUT if I instead use "iwlist", scan works

Code:
            ugoos@Ugoos_box:~$ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
            wlan0     Scan completed :
                      Cell 01 - Address: XXXXXXX
            ... all wifi networks here ...
            Even if the kernel still reports errors:

Code:
            Jul 30 14:46:05 Ugoos_box kernel: bcmsdh_sdmmc mmc2:0001:2 wlan0: (WE) : Wireless Event (cmd=0x8B19) too big (65303)
            Jul 30 14:46:05 Ugoos_box kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) wl_notify_scan_status : scan is not ready

Comment

Hello bragma, Freaktab member peba seems to have a lot of experience with Linux on ARM. I believe he is the owner of the Bitkistl blog. He covers Ugoos over there pretty well. Maybe he will have an answer. Send him a PM, maybe he can help or point you to a solution.
              I wish I could be more helpful.
              Good luck.

Comment

Thanks RISCy, I'll try to contact him.

Comment

Working...
                X