Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gqrx/gnuradio/rtl-sdr - anyone using these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gqrx/gnuradio/rtl-sdr - anyone using these?

I’m into ham radio and am interested in using RK3288 devices for Software Defined Radio (SDR). Gqrx is a receiver developed on Ubuntu. I’m wondering about using it with an RK3288 device. ARM A9 chips (BeagleBone Black, Raspberry Pi) aren’t husky enough but an A17 might be. There is a YouTube video showing decent performance on a MK902II LE (youtube.com/watch?v=JdhszJhJBtQ). The Ugoos UT3s seems like a comparable unit. I’m wondering how painful the install would be.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience using Gqrx/gnuradio on this new breed of linux-enabled devices?

Originally posted by Nixie View Post
    Does anyone have any knowledge or experience using Gqrx/gnuradio on this new breed of linux-enabled devices?
    Hello, I have no ham radio experience. I have no ham hardware. But GNURadio installed and opened. I was running Ugoos' SD boot Ubuntu 15.04 on my Ugoos UT3 2GB/16GB box. It took several minutes for the install to complete, using the Ubuntu Software Center. It takes about 5 seconds to open after clicking. It may install and load faster on an installed Ubuntu. I cannot tell you if it does what it is supposed to do. I will keep it installed for a few days in case you want me to try something,
    Heres a screenshot with Conky running to let you see how resources are effected. The cpu freq varies from about 600MHz to ~1200MHz when launching/running GNURadio...

Comment

RISCy, wow, thanks for such a speedy response and confirmation. It's very encouraging that gnuradio and GRC (Graphical Radio Companion - the GUI for using gnuradio) installed for you so easily! I'm impressed & pleased. Generally speaking, getting a successful build/install of gnuradio is where folks have headaches. It is in effect the complex underpinnings of the Gqrx receiver. Horror stories abound relating to dependencies, missing this & that, yada yada.

So what you’ve shown me is powerful good news. I appreciate the offer to try things out but no need. Again, many thanks.

Tim KK6VQQ

Comment

Working...
      X