Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RDI Box CX-R8 worth keeping for android tv?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RDI Box CX-R8 worth keeping for android tv?

I was recently given an RDI branded tv box with model CX-R8 on bottom label. It has the exact appearance and features of a Sunchip CX-R8 box I found online, so it seems to be a generic version of that box which features Android 5.1 with the RK 3368 Octo-core processor. I've read many of the forum posts here about the Rockchip 3368 woes (stuttering, etc.). But I was wondering if the RK 3368 does an acceptable job running android tv alone, as I'm not much into Kodi use anymore. This is my first post as a newbie, so I'm quite hopeless and useless here right now, of course. But I hope to improve asap! Thanks in advance to anyone who might offer insight on whether this CX-R8 box makes a decent non-Kodi streaming device.

Originally posted by lowvirtualmemory View Post
    I was recently given an RDI branded tv box with model CX-R8 on bottom label. It has the exact appearance and features of a Sunchip CX-R8 box I found online, so it seems to be a generic version of that box which features Android 5.1 with the RK 3368 Octo-core processor. I've read many of the forum posts here about the Rockchip 3368 woes (stuttering, etc.). But I was wondering if the RK 3368 does an acceptable job running android tv alone, as I'm not much into Kodi use anymore. This is my first post as a newbie, so I'm quite hopeless and useless here right now, of course. But I hope to improve asap! Thanks in advance to anyone who might offer insight on whether this CX-R8 box makes a decent non-Kodi streaming device.
    Hi ,

for what do you want the Box ??? , RK3368 is not so new anymore ,

and what AndroidTV Rom will u take , there exist nothing for this

CPU , latest highest FW is 5.1 , to old , greetings / gefattern

Comment

Greetings, gefattern, and thanks for response.

I thought the box might have some potential as simply a non-Kodi streaming box for movies and tv. The box looks almost new and is a freebie gift. But it lacks the ac adapter, and I didn't know whether it performed well enough to be worth whatever it cost to buy the adapter to power it. So, thought I'd ask an opinion from someone with actual experience with an RK3368-powered box. I tried a similar ac adapter from an s905x box that I bricked last year while installing LibreElec on the internal eMMC memory. But the s905x port plug was too large to fit.

Comment

Originally posted by lowvirtualmemory View Post
        Greetings, gefattern, and thanks for response.

I thought the box might have some potential as simply a non-Kodi streaming box for movies and tv. The box looks almost new and is a freebie gift. But it lacks the ac adapter, and I didn't know whether it performed well enough to be worth whatever it cost to buy the adapter to power it. So, thought I'd ask an opinion from someone with actual experience with an RK3368-powered box. I tried a similar ac adapter from an s905x box that I bricked last year while installing LibreElec on the internal eMMC memory. But the s905x port plug was too large to fit.
        Hi , a new Powersupply is not so expensive , but for sure buy one with little

bit more "mah" , Example : if your Box needs 2000mah take a 5V/3000mah

Powersupply , i am not sure if the Box is good enough for your needs , what

do you want to do primary with the Box ??? , only Movies & TV Apps , which

one Netflix / Amazon or what , for this you need Widevine DRM , this Box do

not have this , stock TV Apps like Mobdro or similar maybe work , dont know ,

dont use them ,

greetings / gefattern

Comment

I use Amazon Fire TV Box, 2nd Gen, as my main entertainment streamer but was considering this RK 3368 for spare bedroom that lacks streaming box. However, despite fact that it is octo-core and has quite a few desireable features (pasted specs below in case you wanted to take a look) such as bluetooth remote, sd card storage, etc., I think I'll pass it along to someone else as I'd rather not get into perhaps having to download custom rom firmware just to get the aging 5.1 firmware on it to play HD content without freezing, stuttering, etc. Probably not worth the time investment at this point. Wish it had been Amlogic octo-core instead of Rockchip.
          Maybe I'll go back and give the bricked s905x one more try before I follow through on current plan to make an advante garde sculpture from it with my acetylene torch....Thanks again, gefattern.
          Specification:

• Operation System: Android 5.1.1
          • Language: Chinese, English, Multi-Language support
          • CPU: (RK3368)Octa-core ARM Cortex-A53, up to 1.5GHZ (DVFS)
          • GPU: PowerVR G6110 GPU,up to 700MHz (DVFS),OpenGL ES3.1, OpenCLES3 and DirectX 9.3
          • SDRAM: DDR3 2GB (compatibility 1GB-2GB)
          • Flash: 8GB(EMMC) (compatibility 4GB-32GB)
          • Network: IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n 2.4GHz / 5.0GHz(option)
          • WIFI Module: AP6212 (compatibility RTL8189,AP6330,AP6335)
          • The extended storage: SD Card, up to 32GB (SD3.0, MMC ver4.5)
          • Power Supply: DC 5V/3A 3.5mm DC-in

Interface:

• HDMI Output: HDMI(1.4 and 2.0 ) to support maximum 4K@60fps
          • output(HDCP2.2)
          • USB Port: 3*USB 2.0 Host
          • Data Output: 1*SPDIF
          • Led work light: support
          • Network: 1*RJ45 1000M (Gigabit network)
          • Power Supply: 1*DC Jack
          • US Camera: Support external USB camera 200W / 500W(option)

Media Supported

• Audio Container: All formats
          • Audio OutPut: HDMI Data Output/SPDIF
          • Video CODEC
            HEVC/H.265 decoder by 4k@60FPS,Support up to 100Mbps bit rate
            H.264 up to HP level 5.2 : 4Kx2K@30fps (4096×2304)MPEG-4 up to ASP level 5 : 1080p@60fps (1920×1088)
            MPEG-2 up to MP : 2160p@30fps (3840×2160)
            MPEG-1 up to MP : 1080p@60fps (1920×1088)
            H.263 : 576p@60fps (720×576)
            Sorenson Spark : 1080p@60fps (1920×1088)
            VC-1 up to AP level 3 : 1080p@30fps (1920×1088)
            RV8/RV9/RV10 : 1080p@60fps (1920×1088)
            VP6/VP8 : 2160p@24fps (3840×2160)
            AVS : 1080p@60fps (1920×1088)
            MVC : 2160p@30fps (3840×2160)
            AVS, 4:4:4 sampling not supported
            H.264, image cropping not supported
            MPEG-4, GMC(global motion compensation) not supported
            VC-1, upscaling and range mapping are supported in image post-processor
            For MPEG-4 SP/H.263/Sorenson spark, using a modified H.264 in-loop filter to
            implement deblocking filter in post-processor unit
          • Software Extension: Support Google Play & APK install.
          • DLNA, Miracast Protocol: Support DLNA,Miracast Protocol

Comment

Working...
          X